Easy Fire Roasted Peppers

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This time of year, I don't get the opportunity to use the barbecue grill for roasting peppers. I have a gas stove/oven, so I can do it inside as long as you don't walk away from it.

Keep the flame lower than high, but higher than medium. Hard to see the flame here in the picture, sorry.

January2010048.jpg

If you have lots of peppers to roast, you can use all burners, but I wouldn't put more than three peppers per burner. Let the flame char the skin. You'll hear sizzling and crackling, and even smell the burning. Don't turn them till the side is black.

January2010049.jpg

You may have to move them around a bit to insure that the entire side gets roasted. Use long tongs to turn them. If you use a fork you'll prick them open and liquid will drip out, interfering with the flame and making a huge mess.

When all sides are sufficiently blackened, place them into a bowl with a plate (or any similar vehicle, a cover is necessary) over it. The cover helps the pepper to steam a bit, which makes removing the skins easire.

When they are cool enough to handle, rub the outer skin off (you can do this under gently running water, it helps). Pull the stem off and turn the pepper inside out to remove the vein and seeds. Slice.

January2010057.jpg

These will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator.

GotGarlic

I love roasted peppers. I do mine on an old cookie sheet under the broiler. I cut out the core, cut in half and remove the seeds and membranes, flatten a bit with my hand, then broil for eight minutes and put in a covered bowl to steam. Any extras can also be covered with a layer of olive oil and frozen.

K

Kimchee

Yeah, I use the gas stove method too. I have a metal perforated stir fry basket for my grill, and it works just fine on the stove, too! :)

Gosh - this ain't rocket science guys - LOL!!!!!!

Outside of doing them outdoors on the grill, I just toss peppers - sweet bells, poblanos, hots - on perforated pans under the broiler. But no need for perforated pans - broiler pans work just as well.

Turn them as they brown, & then toss them all into bags (paper or plastic), & after about 15 minutes they're ready to peel & use in all sorts of recipes.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I do mine on top of the stove too and although it may not be rocket science, there are a lot of new cooks who don't know how to roast a pepper so thanks for posting this Vera.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
No, it's not actually rocket science...but the purpose of these tutorial threads is to educate those who might not have considered doing certain things from 'scratch'.

The broiler method is a fine method for roasting peppers if that's what you prefer. I prefer to do mine on the stove top because it's just a bit more hands on for my tastes. I like to watch them from above, as it were, rather than opening the oven door. Either way is fine.

Garlic, I was about to loose a dozen beautiful mixed peppers at work the day before christmas eve. I roasted them (nice to have a huge indoor fire grill at work!) and peeled them, and then layered them with balsamic, a bit of oil, some garlic cloves and fresh basil. When we got back to work on Monday they were magnificent!!!

Love2"Q"

thanks for the post, vera .. and the broiler method ...
never even thought about doing it that way ...

GotGarlic

The broiler method is a fine method for roasting peppers if that's what you prefer. I prefer to do mine on the stove top because it's just a bit more hands on for my tastes. I like to watch them from above, as it were, rather than opening the oven door. Either way is fine.

That's funny - I'm lazy about it, so I like to be more hands-off :wink:

Garlic, I was about to loose a dozen beautiful mixed peppers at work the day before christmas eve. I roasted them (nice to have a huge indoor fire grill at work!) and peeled them, and then layered them with balsamic, a bit of oil, some garlic cloves and fresh basil. When we got back to work on Monday they were magnificent!!!

Mmmmm, that sounds great, Vera! I'll remember that one! :smile:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No, it's not actually rocket science...but the purpose of these tutorial threads is to educate those who might not have considered doing certain things from 'scratch'.
Or in my case, have no idea how to! Thanks, Vera.:clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a glass-top electric stove, so I HAVE to use the broiler method inside.

I, too, like the paper or plastic bag method, Breezy, since it's a good way to recycle and it saves washing a dish or two.

Lee

K

Kimchee

Soooo... roast them, then let them sit for a few days in oils and flavorings?
My goodness, what a thought... I love stuff like this!

Soooo... roast them, then let them sit for a few days in oils and flavorings?
My goodness, what a thought... I love stuff like this!

Uh - but just make SURE those "few days" are VERY FEW DAYS. Unless you want to be. . . .. "Off on the road to the ER. . . . " (sung to the tune of the old Bing Crosby/Bob Hope "Road" movie tunes. . . .).

It ain't fun. And I can personally attest to it.