2 Cups Flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs (room tempature)
12 oz beer (room tempature)
(optional) 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
(optional) Zest of 1 lime

Full all purpose batter for chicken fingers, fried fish, onion rings, broccoli....

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank
please excuse the phone pic, my camera is on loan.

Attachments

• DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 199

Lefty

Yank
L2Q, it does go with everything. If you want to use the batch for more than one thing, leave the meat for last to avoid cross contamination.

Lefty

Yank
i didn't have much luck with the last batter batch. i wonder if this will work for me next time.
Make sure to take the eggs and beer out early, it makes for easier combining of the ingredients. I forgot once and it seemed to take twice as long to get a good mix out of it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Make sure to take the eggs and beer out early, it makes for easier combining of the ingredients. I forgot once and it seemed to take twice as long to get a good mix out of it.
should the beer be flat? when mixing the beer won't all the fizz come out? could i use an electric mixer to mix it all or does the beer need to retain some fizz?

Lefty

Yank
should the beer be flat? when mixing the beer won't all the fizz come out? could i use an electric mixer to mix it all or does the beer need to retain some fizz?
Some recipes call for it to be flat, but I dont mind the fizz. It kinda helps mix the flour in. If using an electric mixer I would go low speed until you have a good mix.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Some recipes call for it to be flat, but I dont mind the fizz. It kinda helps mix the flour in. If using an electric mixer I would go low speed until you have a good mix.
thanks. i have no problem with a crumb breading for chicken, veal eggplant and like that. but any other coating and i fail. i want to do whole small button mushrooms. would breading (flour/egg/seasoned crumbs) or batter be better?

Lefty

Yank
thanks. i have no problem with a crumb breading for chicken, veal eggplant and like that. but any other coating and i fail. i want to do whole small button mushrooms. would breading (flour/egg/seasoned crumbs) or batter be better?
I dont know Peep, it should work with anything dry. I tried it on cukes once and it didn't hold to well. I would think shrooms would be OK if they are dry.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Peeps,

There's a trick to getting batter to hold on foods that retain a lot of moisture. Frequently the batter won't adhere to these foods. In addition to patting everything dry before dipping, try this.

When making your batter mix, use 1/3 more of all the dry ingredients than the recipe calls for. Combine only the dry ingredients, then remove 1/4 of the total and set it aside in a shallow plate or dish.

Add the liquid ingredients to the larger portion of dry mix, and continue making according to the recipe.

Roll your food first in the set-aside dry batter mix, shake off the excess, then dip it in the wet batter. Fry as usual.

The dry mix helps the wet batter adhere, and by using the mix instead of just flour, you won't change your flavor profile.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps,

There's a trick to getting batter to hold on foods that retain a lot of moisture. Frequently the batter won't adhere to these foods. In addition to patting everything dry before dipping, try this.

When making your batter mix, use 1/3 more of all the dry ingredients than the recipe calls for. Combine only the dry ingredients, then remove 1/4 of the total and set it aside in a shallow plate or dish.

Add the liquid ingredients to the larger portion of dry mix, and continue making according to the recipe.

Roll your food first in the set-aside dry batter mix, shake off the excess, then dip it in the wet batter. Fry as usual.

The dry mix helps the wet batter adhere, and by using the mix instead of just flour, you won't change your flavor profile.
ok SS thank you!! i will try this formula next time. {{{{hugs}}}

Meme4251

Peeps, which batter did you try and did it hold together? I've had this happen also to me on several occasions. :unsure: