Chicken Bones?

Derek

Banned
Hi Gang,

I have chicken Bones here and I would hate to throw them away.

I was thinking about chicken broth and make some then let it cool down and then throw it in the freezer.

But I want to know the steps before that? Do I want to boil off the meat or anything like that first or what do I do?

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Hey.... don't throw them away!!! Make you some chicken stock! You can leave the meat on.

What I do is make the stock. Remove the bones and pick the meat off. I put the meat in food saver bags. DH makes chicken salad sammies with it. As for the stock, I pour it in containers and freeze.

High Cheese

Saucier
The bones are raw correct?

If so, roast the bones and some carrot, celery and onion in the oven at 350-400 for a bit, just until brown and use them for stock. I start my stocks with canned chicken broth for even more flavor.

Derek

Banned
Hey.... don't throw them away!!! Make you some chicken stock! You can leave the meat on.

What I do is make the stock. Remove the bones and pick the meat off. I put the meat in food saver bags. DH makes chicken salad sammies with it. As for the stock, I pour it in containers and freeze.

The bones are raw correct?

If so, roast the bones and some carrot, celery and onion in the oven at 350-400 for a bit, just until brown and use them for stock. I start my stocks with canned chicken broth for even more flavor.
Thank you guys, Hey HC how long is a while maybe 2 hours at a very low simmer?

suziquzie

Hey I figure I'll answer you here instead of the dinner thread!

I'm to lazy to even pick off the meat..... DH and I dont like dark mean one bit so I leave it on the carcass and freeze it....

When I have 3 carcasses I put them in a giant stockpot, cover w/ water, throw in carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns..... cant tell you how much I just keep throwing stuff in there!!!

Anyway..... bring to boil, turn down to simmer for a couple hours.... skim off scum here and there......

then i put another big pot in the sink, put a layer or 3 of cheesecloth in my strainer, and pour into the clean pot.

Voila!
Chicken stock....
not sure if its the right way but it works for me.

Derek

Banned
Hey I figure I'll answer you here instead of the dinner thread!

I'm to lazy to even pick off the meat..... DH and I dont like dark mean one bit so I leave it on the carcass and freeze it....

When I have 3 carcasses I put them in a giant stockpot, cover w/ water, throw in carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns..... cant tell you how much I just keep throwing stuff in there!!!

Anyway..... bring to boil, turn down to simmer for a couple hours.... skim off scum here and there......

then i put another big pot in the sink, put a layer or 3 of cheesecloth in my strainer, and pour into the clean pot.

Voila!
Chicken stock....
not sure if its the right way but it works for me.

Not much use at all.....maybe a voo-doo necklace.

You can still use them to make stock... just skip the roasting step.
Thank you very very much guys, I was planing on making enough stock I could put in a milk jug but the jug would take too much room up in the freezer though.

Derek

Banned
I usually break mine down into 1 cup portions or 2 cup protions and freeze.
Thanks Sattie, I will probably end up doing that!

I was thinking about slow roasting some Garlic gloves both for the chicken broth and for the bbq sauce I'm going to make.

I like to know if I can add 1 habanero for some hot chicken broth to that?

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I'm sure you could. I would cut tiny slits in the habanero and simmer in the stock whole. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Derek

Banned
I'm sure you could. I would cut tiny slits in the habanero and simmer in the stock whole. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.
That's basically what I was planing on doing "thanks to Sonny Anderson" She taught me that little trick on an episode I saw.

AllenOK

Basic Chicken Stock
Yields: about 2 gallons concentrated stock

I make this stock more than any other. Mainly, it’s because chicken is cheaper than most other meats, and I make a lot of things with chicken. One thing to remember, since I cook this overnight, it’s best to ensure that there is nothing that could possibly catch fire in the kitchen. You can also cut the quantity down by half, and make this in a crockpot all night.
I’m also going to give you two methods for the chicken. Read through each, and decide which you’d prefer to do. Lately, I’ve been roasting my scraps, as this provides a richer flavor, and since the albumen is already coagulated, I don’t have to worry so much about the stock being cloudy.
I skim as much of the fat from the stock as I can, as I’ve found that when you reduce the stock, the boiling action tends to emulsify the fat into the liquid, creating an opaque stock.

Chicken bones and scraps from approximately 4 chickens
1 large onion, quartered, with skin
4 stalks of celery, cut into 4” lengths
Cold water
A 18 - 22 qt stockpot
A half-gallon sized pitcher
Something that can withstand hot fat
A 16 qt stockpot, or other large containers to hold hot liquid in
One 2 liter soda bottle, label removed, and washed inside and out
One bag of ice
Ice cube trays

Fill the soda bottle with cold water and freeze it solid. I usually do this a day or so before I make the stock.
Method #1: Place the chicken scraps into the 18 - 22 qt stockpot, and cover with COLD water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. As the water heats, it will coagulate some of the proteins in the chicken, which will float to the top and catch all the little particles that cloud the broth. This will all float to the top and accumulate as “scum” which you’ll want to skim off. This takes quite awhile, but results in a nice clear broth or stock.
Once you’ve skimmed all the foam from the top of the broth, and no more is being generated, and the broth has begun to boil, drop in the onion and celery, and add enough water to just cover the ingredients.
Method #2: Place all the chicken scraps into a large roasting pan. Roast the scraps in a preheated 500°°F oven until the top of the scraps start to caramelize, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and using a sturdy spoon, stir the scrap around (some of them will probably stick). Return the pan to the oven until the top lay is caramelized again, about another 30 minutes or so.
While the scraps are cooking, partially fill the 22 qt stockpot with HOT water, the onions, and celery. Bring to a simmer. When the scraps are done, pour them into the 22 qt stockpot (carefully!). Using a large measuring cup or other container, fill the stockpot with enough hot water to make sure all the ingredients are covered.
Whichever method you use, at this point, cover the pan and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook gently for about 10 - 12 hours. I usually do mine overnight, getting up once or twice to check it and make sure everything is going good.
When the stock is done, strain out as much of the solids as you can and dispose of them. Place a large strainer over or inside another large pot (the 16 qt, if you have one). If you don’t have a second large stockpot, use as many large containers as you have to hold the strained stock. Carefully pour the hot stock into the pitcher, and allow the liquids to settle for a couple minutes. The fat should rise to the top and form a clean layer. Using a ladle, carefully skim as much of the fat out of pitcher as you can, placing the fat into the heat-proof container. When you are done removing the fat, pour the hot stock through the strainer into the second pot (or other containers) to catch all the remaining solids. Repeat as needed until the 22 qt pan is empty. Set the fat aside to cool and congeal, then dispose of it. Clean out the 22 qt pan, and pour all the stock back into it, if you do not have a second pot big enough to hold all the stock.
Place the now strained stock back over high heat and bring it to a boil. Continue boiling to reduce this stock by about half.
Now comes the fun part. To ensure the best possible shelf-life of your stock, you need to chill it as fast as possible. Here is the best way to do that.
Plug up your sink so that water will not drain out. Find some small pieces of flat wood to lay in the bottom of the sink (I usually use three 2” long pieces of 1x2), or a cake rack, and place it on the bottom. Carefully place the pot of stock onto the pieces of wood or the rack. Get the soda bottle out of the freezer and stick it straight into the stock. Fill the sink with the ice, then carefully add enough cold water to come up the sides of the pot, without overflowing your sink, or causing the pot to float. Stir this around, and let it chill. Stir it every 10 - 15 minutes. Check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. When the temperature is down to about 40°F, you can either place the stock in the refrigerator for storage, or, using the ice cube trays, freeze it.
I like to store my stock frozen, in gallon-sized resealable bags. I’ve found that the best way to reconstitute my stock, is to place 2 cubes of frozen into a measuring cup, and add enough hot water to bring the level up to 1 cup. For more stock, just increase this ratio.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
dh and i give all our chicken bones to our 2 dogs, Thelma and Honey and if we ever decide to quit they'll probably disown us. :bouncy::bouncy:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I think Derek’s biggest problem is going to be the bones are already cooked. Most of the “goodness” (fat) has been cooked out of them. But he says they were smoked, so there is some flavor there. Using a chicken stock to start with is a good idea. Sauté your Mirepoix in butter, add chicken stock, some water, and the bones.

It might……and I say “might”……help to take a tip from the Norse and crack the bones so that the marrow seeps out more readily. Since most of the fat and flavor is gone from the outside, you’re a bit strapped for flavor unless it comes from within. It would be interesting to try. Just drain through cheese cloth or a fine strainer when you’re done.

Shrimp and crab stock is made from boiling down shells, so you may be able to get an interesting stock from left-over cooked bones…..and cracked may add something to that.

Derek

Banned
Basic Chicken Stock
Yields: about 2 gallons concentrated stock

I make this stock more than any other. Mainly, it’s because chicken is cheaper than most other meats, and I make a lot of things with chicken. One thing to remember, since I cook this overnight, it’s best to ensure that there is nothing that could possibly catch fire in the kitchen. You can also cut the quantity down by half, and make this in a crockpot all night.
I’m also going to give you two methods for the chicken. Read through each, and decide which you’d prefer to do. Lately, I’ve been roasting my scraps, as this provides a richer flavor, and since the albumen is already coagulated, I don’t have to worry so much about the stock being cloudy.
I skim as much of the fat from the stock as I can, as I’ve found that when you reduce the stock, the boiling action tends to emulsify the fat into the liquid, creating an opaque stock.

Chicken bones and scraps from approximately 4 chickens
1 large onion, quartered, with skin
4 stalks of celery, cut into 4” lengths
Cold water
A 18 - 22 qt stockpot
A half-gallon sized pitcher
Something that can withstand hot fat
A 16 qt stockpot, or other large containers to hold hot liquid in
One 2 liter soda bottle, label removed, and washed inside and out
One bag of ice
Ice cube trays

Fill the soda bottle with cold water and freeze it solid. I usually do this a day or so before I make the stock.
Method #1: Place the chicken scraps into the 18 - 22 qt stockpot, and cover with COLD water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. As the water heats, it will coagulate some of the proteins in the chicken, which will float to the top and catch all the little particles that cloud the broth. This will all float to the top and accumulate as “scum” which you’ll want to skim off. This takes quite awhile, but results in a nice clear broth or stock.
Once you’ve skimmed all the foam from the top of the broth, and no more is being generated, and the broth has begun to boil, drop in the onion and celery, and add enough water to just cover the ingredients.
Method #2: Place all the chicken scraps into a large roasting pan. Roast the scraps in a preheated 500°°F oven until the top of the scraps start to caramelize, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and using a sturdy spoon, stir the scrap around (some of them will probably stick). Return the pan to the oven until the top lay is caramelized again, about another 30 minutes or so.
While the scraps are cooking, partially fill the 22 qt stockpot with HOT water, the onions, and celery. Bring to a simmer. When the scraps are done, pour them into the 22 qt stockpot (carefully!). Using a large measuring cup or other container, fill the stockpot with enough hot water to make sure all the ingredients are covered.
Whichever method you use, at this point, cover the pan and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook gently for about 10 - 12 hours. I usually do mine overnight, getting up once or twice to check it and make sure everything is going good.
When the stock is done, strain out as much of the solids as you can and dispose of them. Place a large strainer over or inside another large pot (the 16 qt, if you have one). If you don’t have a second large stockpot, use as many large containers as you have to hold the strained stock. Carefully pour the hot stock into the pitcher, and allow the liquids to settle for a couple minutes. The fat should rise to the top and form a clean layer. Using a ladle, carefully skim as much of the fat out of pitcher as you can, placing the fat into the heat-proof container. When you are done removing the fat, pour the hot stock through the strainer into the second pot (or other containers) to catch all the remaining solids. Repeat as needed until the 22 qt pan is empty. Set the fat aside to cool and congeal, then dispose of it. Clean out the 22 qt pan, and pour all the stock back into it, if you do not have a second pot big enough to hold all the stock.
Place the now strained stock back over high heat and bring it to a boil. Continue boiling to reduce this stock by about half.
Now comes the fun part. To ensure the best possible shelf-life of your stock, you need to chill it as fast as possible. Here is the best way to do that.
Plug up your sink so that water will not drain out. Find some small pieces of flat wood to lay in the bottom of the sink (I usually use three 2” long pieces of 1x2), or a cake rack, and place it on the bottom. Carefully place the pot of stock onto the pieces of wood or the rack. Get the soda bottle out of the freezer and stick it straight into the stock. Fill the sink with the ice, then carefully add enough cold water to come up the sides of the pot, without overflowing your sink, or causing the pot to float. Stir this around, and let it chill. Stir it every 10 - 15 minutes. Check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. When the temperature is down to about 40°F, you can either place the stock in the refrigerator for storage, or, using the ice cube trays, freeze it.
I like to store my stock frozen, in gallon-sized resealable bags. I’ve found that the best way to reconstitute my stock, is to place 2 cubes of frozen into a measuring cup, and add enough hot water to bring the level up to 1 cup. For more stock, just increase this ratio.
Thank you very much for the basic recipe Allen, I will certainly consider ti when I make my first batch.

dh and i give all our chicken bones to our 2 dogs, Thelma and Honey and if we ever decide to quit they'll probably disown us. :bouncy::bouncy:
Hehe Lifesaver, I would do that for my dog too.

I think Derek’s biggest problem is going to be the bones are already cooked. Most of the “goodness” (fat) has been cooked out of them. But he says they were smoked, so there is some flavor there. Using a chicken stock to start with is a good idea. Sauté your Mirepoix in butter, add chicken stock, some water, and the bones.

It might……and I say “might”……help to take a tip from the Norse and crack the bones so that the marrow seeps out more readily. Since most of the fat and flavor is gone from the outside, you’re a bit strapped for flavor unless it comes from within. It would be interesting to try. Just drain through cheese cloth or a fine strainer when you’re done.

Shrimp and crab stock is made from boiling down shells, so you may be able to get an interesting stock from left-over cooked bones…..and cracked may add something to that.
Marrow s good to eat from the bones, And shrimp and crap Stock is probably going to be the easiest to make!

Sorry guys & gals, I couldn't get back online since 4pm and I finally got on now.