Late evening snack.

CharlieD

So, I work late, till 7:30 PM. I'm home around 8 or so. I try to bring some food to work, but it's just not the same. I come home and I am hungry. I am trying to loose some weight and do not want to eat anything heavy.
What can I eat that late? Something light, but enough not be hungry.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Popcorn is great. Low cal, filling, and fairly nutritious. Just watch out for the brands loaded with butter…..which I love. :shock:

Make a veggie sandwich. Bread, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard.

Personally, I’ve found that HOT food knocks the appetite out of you. Keep a jar of jalapeños or pepperoncini in the fridge and eat a few when you get a hunger pain. I also like to take some cooked white rice, throw it in the pan with a bit of olive oil. Stir fry it a bit and add some hot sauce and peppers to it. It turns a nice red color and has good bite. It puts food in your belly, and curbs the hunger pangs fast.

Some adhere to an apple and large glass of water. The apple gives your stomach acids something to work on, and the water fills your stomach signaling your brain that you’re full.

Cabbage is also good as it is so low in calories that it takes more calories to digest it that there are in it making it a “negative” cal food in low quantities.

Pure protein is lower in cal than carbs and slower to digest, so beef jerky is good. As are egg white omelets and chicken breasts.

lilylove

We have the same problem Charlie...Paul doesn't make it home until 9 or 10 most nights and is starving for dinner... we do lots of soups, salads and meats and cheese plates. I save the good big dinners for his early work nights.

Good luck!!

Calicolady

Charlie, Are you talking meal, or like the thread title suggests; snack?
Not too clear on that.
If snack, they say something with crunch to it saites your appetite the best.

High Cheese

Saucier
I usually have a couple pices of cheese, salami and crackers. It's not the healthiest, but it gets rid of the hunger.

Like Keltin said, spicy food. When I was quitting smoking I would put hot sauce on orange slices. Tastes like BBQ sauce.

PanchoHambre

For a late nice snack... a piece of crusty bread some soft spreadable cheese and maybe some tapenade or a slice of tomato.

Definitely NOT diet fare but a little goes a long way.

Chips and Salsa is another thought

or a bowl of hearty soup and some crackers. If you freeze the soup in individual portions can defrost fast

CharlieD

My concern is my weight. I am already overweight I do not want to put any extra pounds on. I can feel it already; my feet hurt a lot lately, since I put the extra lbs on.
I do need to eat something, but would like to find something filling yet on a healthy side. Of course another problem of mine is that I do not like veggies.
I hope that kind of clarifies what I was asking to begin with.

FryBoy

Planning ahead is probably the most important and effective thing you can do. If you come home late, you probably go in late. Take 30 minutes in the morning and get your evening snack squared away. The worst thing you can do when you're hungry is to open the refrigerator or pantry and stare into it, grabbing what every you see that's quick, easy, and tasty -- a hunk of cheese, a half a bag of chips, some ice cream, cookies, etc.

Consider soups, especially homemade varieties that are heavy on the veggies, light on the meat and pasta. Many soups are relatively low calorie but tasty and filling, and they give you the illusion of eating a meal because you pretty much have to sit down and take your time, as opposed to swallowing 400 calories of cheese and chips in 30 seconds.

Have cut-up fruit and raw veggies in plastic containers, ready to eat. They're filling, give you the satisfaction of chewing something, and they're very good for you -- and no fat, generally low calorie. Apples, pineapple, oranges, tangerines, carrots, celery, jicima, bell peppers, etc. Maybe some low-cal salad dressing to dip the veggies in (try Eating Right Light Ranch Dressing & Dip).

Portion control is essential, especially if you're going after crackers and so forth. Again, set out what you're going to eat in advance, when you're not craving food.

If you make a sandwich, use a minimal amount of cheese and mayo, reduce the meat to just enough to taste instead of an inch or two of the stuff, and pile on the veggies. Check the calories on the bread you're using -- some varieties are much higher in calories than others.

Eat slowly, and try to enjoy it.

High Cheese

Saucier
Hey Charlie, I bet you have the same taste buds as my Georgian wife. Meat, bread and cheese. lol Or meat and bread with cheese stuffed in it.

Do you like tacos? You can keep taco ingredients in the fridge in seperate containers so you can put one together quick. Just don't make more than one. lol You could have diced chicken, cabbage, refried beans, chopped steak all cooked and ready to go on a CORN tortilla.

CharlieD

Gomardjoba Genatsvale. Oh, man. You must be in heaven. I love gerogian cooking, though I'm not good at that. No time to expend. The only thing that i make is Kharcho and Khachapuri. You should have her recipes posted, man.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like the salsa and chip idea, especially if you use a hotter salsa. The heat does fill you up and curb the appetite some. Coffee also helps kill appetite.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
How late are you staying up?

How about a bowl of soup and a soft pretzel?

Cereal and a cup of blueberries?

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Cheese, crackers and grapes?

Baked potato?

What you need to think about is eating your daytime meal as your dinner meal, and having something lunch or even snack like when you get home. You've got to think outside the box now. Nothing wrong with having a snack for dinner...

CharlieD

My problem is that I work long day, so I have to bring both lunch and diner to work, and I am by far not the most organized person. That is my main problem. I probably could bring the whole diner to work and worm it up in mcrowave, but I don't. I used to come home and eat diner and then practicaly go to bed right away, and I think that is the reason I gane like 20lbs. so now I have to be careful and lose that extra weight, of course quiting smoking also plays role in gaining waight.

suziquzie

I like hummus on whole grain crackers (rye-krisp or ak-mak or something) works well.
I was going to say with a few slices of red bell pepper but you don't like veggies so scratch that part!
:)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
cereal and milk
yogurt
cheese and crackers and fruit
cottage cheese and fruit
English muffin and decaf tea

gadzooks

I discovered half-packs of tube crescents, and found that I can separate them into two rectangles. Roll an andouille sausage up in each rectangle and bake. I like 'em with applesauce with fresh nutmeg. One tube will only accommodate two "pigs," half the calories of a regular tube!

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I keep a container of fresh sliced veggies (Celery, Cukes, mushrooms, radishes, broccoli and cauliflower heads {no carrots- too many carbs} in the fridge, along with a home-made dip............