Zuppa Toscana Eclectica

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
This is a very quick and easy recipe that gives you alot of delicious return for a fairly small investment of time. I started with a recipe from AllRecipes and made some changes in procedure, some additions, some subtractions...hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zuppa Toscana Eclectica[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4-6 large links of Italian sausage, preferably hot and spicy. If it isn't, add some crumbled red pepper flakes while browning.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]6 slices of bacon[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 medium onion, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3-4 cloves garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]olive oil[/FONT]

• [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Slit the casings on the sausage, crumble it, and brown in a little olive oil. When it is brown, remove and set aside. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add 6 slices of bacon to the same pan and cook until crisp. Remove from pan. If your bacon rendered lots of fat, you may want to get rid of all but a few TBS.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add onion and garlic to the same pan and saute until soft, about five minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3-4 cups sliced potatoes[/FONT] (for some reason, this soup works much better if the potatoes are sliced, rather than diced. I used small potatoes)
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]handful of fresh chopped basil[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]5-6 cups chicken broth (low sodium if possible)[/FONT]

• [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add the potatoes to the onion and garlic mixture and stir.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add the basil and stir[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add the sausage and bacon back to the pot and simmer together for about five minutes to blend flavors[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]8-10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup cream or half & half[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]freshly grated parmesan cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]minced fresh basil[/FONT]

• [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add spinach and stir[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add cream and stir, bring it back almost to boiling. Be careful or the cream will curdle.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Adjust seasoning – may want to add salt at this point[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Let it sit for ten minutes or so to allow flavors to absorb[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Garnish with freshly grated parm and basil[/FONT]

Attachments

• zuppa toscana.jpg
    zuppa toscana.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 152

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hoooo - eee! That looks and sounds wonderful, Karen!

You made up the name for it, didn't you? LOL! "Eclectica"?

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Lee. Yes, because it is an amalgam of recipes I tracked down online, plus my own tweaks, I just called it "eclectic." Looks like you have some cold weather in which to enjoy some soup! Take care.

buckytom

Grill Master
fantastic, karen!!! thanks for posting the recipe. i will definitely be making this doon. lol, probably with my own tweaks so dw will eat it. maybe escarole instead of spinach, turkey sausage instead of pork, and less bacon.

yeah, i know i'm killing the spirit of the dish, but unless i want to keep it all to myself, certain things have to be mitigated.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Don't apologize, Bucky. Part of the fun in sharing a recipe here is seeing how other people approach it...we all learn from each other.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
OK, now I'm excited to see how others make this recipe - probably make it even better! If you do, be sure to share the results, OK?