Stuffed Eggplant Parm

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was really good. I omitted the bread crumbs on top and didn't miss them a bit.

I browned some chicken sausages and tucked them in the dish before baking. Next time, I might take the sausage meat out of the casings, brown it and mix it in with the rest of the stuffing ingredients.

Lee

Stuffed Eggplant Parm

• 1 1/2 c. marinara, divided
  • 2 medium eggplants, halved
  • 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 c. chopped tomatoes
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
  • 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
  • 1/4 c. basil, chiffonade

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spread about 1 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a medium baking dish.
  2. Using a spoon, hollow out the eggplants leaving about a 1/2” thick border around skin to create a boat. Roughly chop scooped out eggplant.
  3. Place eggplant boats on prepared baking dish. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped eggplant and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the eggplant is golden and tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  4. Transfer mixture to a bowl.To the bowl with the eggplant mixture, add chopped tomatoes, egg, 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, and 1/2 cup marinara. Mix until just combined. Scoop mixture into eggplant boats. Top with more mozzarella, Parmesan and bread crumbs.
  5. Bake until the eggplants are tender and the cheese has melted, about 50 minutes.
  6. Garnish with basil and serve warm.

Attachments

• Stuffed eggplant.jpg
    Stuffed eggplant.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 986