can I call it split pea soup?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I took 2 quarts of chicken stock, a pound of split peas, half a pound of the bacon from last weekend's smoke and chopped an onion. Simmering it now, it smells yummy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, other than good, I don't know what else you could call it :thumb:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I took 2 quqrts of cbicken stock, a poind of splot peas, half a pound of the bacon from last weekend's smole and chopped an onion. Simmering it now, it smells yummy.

Andy, using that tiny keyboard on your phone again? :yankchain: :mrgreen:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Mama. I just ate a bowl, actually two. It was great.

Yes Jim - I was on the handheld again. I do not type so well there AND auto correct is not necessarily my friend.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmm MMMM! I add a little garlic and sliced carrots, but otherwise, that is MY pea soup, too!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee's Pea Soup (yesterday)

To a large crock pot, add:

half a bag of baby carrots, roughly chopped
1 potato, peeled and large-diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bag dried split peas
2 bay leaves
1 ham bouillion cube
6 cups water
1 pkg smoked pork neck bones

Cook in crock for 8 hours on low. Remove meat and bones, and when cool enough to work with, remove all bones, gristle, clumps of fat. And bay leaves.

Serve with warm bread.

Note: My father likes poppy seeds on top of his pea soup.

Lee

Attachments

• Pea soup.JPG
    Pea soup.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 172

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i make similar, too- although it begins on the range most often, i'll crockpot it after awhile & cook it for hours. cook it to near-mush (w/ enough texture to matter, tho.)
i take the rinsed/sorted peas, place into h2o w/ ham base (a smidgeon; then i'll adjust as the soup thickens/reduces), black pepper, minced mild onion, carrot, celery & a seared hamhock that i later shread the meat from. i've used sausage, too. d'argnantan duck, etc./ kielbossy..... holiday ham dices.
that is so great a soup 4 autumn/winter. gotta have buttered bread w/ my soup.

oakview

Another "sorta" split pea soup we make often. It's delicious topped with grated parmesan or romano cheese and served with sourdough rolls.

2 lbs. split peas
1lb. lentils
1/2 lb. barley
1/2 lb. quinoa or brown rice
2 or 3 big leeks, white part only, sliced into thin pieces
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut up into small pieces
2 ea. large carrots and celery stalks (with leaves is good)
8-10 cloves garlic, chopped

Place all the above ingredients in a large pot, cover with sufficient water and bring to a hard boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, and let soak for 1 hour. Turn heat back on, bring to a simmer, and add the following:

Ham slice (or meat of your choice)
Seasonings to taste, but no salt until you are ready to eat! We add the following in "the right amounts":

Paprika
Cayenne pepper ( a little goes a long way unless you like it spicy)
Black pepper
Oregano
Bay leaves (6-8 is usually enough)
Toasted onion powder
Cilantro
Liquid Smoke (a few dashes)

Mix in spices thoroughly, and continue to simmer until peas, potatoes, etc dissolve and the soup thickens. Serve and top with your choice of cheese.

Makes several quarts, some of which we freeze for later. Really wonderful for those chilly winter days and sticks to your ribs too! Enjoy...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Dave, welcome back!

That recipe looks spectacular!

Thanks for sharing!

Lee

oakview

Thanks all! We've been making this "sorta split pea" soup for years and never thought to share. I'm always humbled by the expertise and amazing recipes hereabouts.

My father-in-law (who has since passed away) usta love this soup, but always made the comment that it "sure cleans me out from one end to the other". Maybe I shoulda added that as a potential side effect warning!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I add water, carrot, onion, diced potato, smoked ham, salt, ground pepper corns and liquid smoke to my split peas. No bouillon at all. BUT I would add ham bouillon if I had it.

Lee where do you get ham bouillon?