Transplanting roses?

AllenOK

When we moved into this place, there was a small rosebush against the garage, near the front door. It's thin and spindly. The roses are the miniature ones, only about the size of a half-dollar. They are yellow tinged with red when they open, then fade to pink later that day. The blooms are usually dead within 48 hours.

I'm assuming I need to transplant this poor thing somewhere sunny. No problem. Can I do that now, or should I have done it in the fall? What about fertilizer? I know most roses need rose dust, and we haven't done any of that.

Being out in the country, I can probably get all the free fertilizer I want. I just need to go talk to a couple neighbors about the "leavings" from their horses and cattle :thumb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Early Spring is a good time to move it. Water it well and you can use some food but not much (they get addicted to it and you will find after some time they won't flourish well with out it), then wait to see what 'dies back' and prune from there.

simplicity

Allen, I'm a Zone 9 gardener. Maverick is right. It is a good time to move it.

Your little rose has survived despite its neglect and lack of sun. They are heartier than we think they are.

I am slowly switching from chemicals to all organic. I feed my roses alfalfa and now and then a few epsom salts.

Here is an article

http://scvrs.homestead.com/MagicElixirs.html

PanchoHambre

Roses are pretty tough... get it while its still dormant and you will be fine. Try to take as much of the root ball as you can.

Calicolady

Transplant in fall before frost, or in spring before new canes begin to develop. Cut back old canes about 1/3 - NOT more.
They like a rich acidic soil. So amend soil at time of planting if you have clay or sandy soil, (I doubt you have sand in Ok.) and with a rose fertilizer or bone/blood meal or manure tea mixed in with soil. You can also add a time release fertilizer at the time of transplant.
Water in well at time of planting. And several times a week after transplanting.
IMPORTANT: Do not plant transplant any lower in the ground than it is now. And make hole about 2 1/2 times the width/depth of the root ball. Fertilizer again when you see new buds begin to form and again in the fall.
When watering roses, do in the early morning, not in the heat of the day or late in the day where water will/may cause mildew.
Epsom salts provides magnesium to the soil, but if you've amended the soil when planted, you won't need this.
Epsom salts are usually sprinkled around the top of the ground before you water on an established plant, about 3-4 inchs away from the plant to promote cane growth.
I wouldn't do this on a transplant.
Aside note: Garlic is a great companion plant, so if you want, when you transplant the rose, put some in and get a 2for.

When you can, post pics.

High Cheese

Saucier
I read that roses bloom the most towards the end of summer early fall. I would move it in the spring.

As far as fertilizer, I just use those pellets for roses.

leolady

Yes! The rose will benefit from spring rains. And if you plant garlic around it, the garlic helps roses by keeping bugs down.

The Tourist

Banned
Roses are pretty tough.

My Mom loved roses, and transplanted her favorites even to new homes.

I don't remember her adding fertilizer, additional water or covering the plants for our Wisconsin winters.

I do remember many days on my knees either digging up or planting her precious tulip bulbs. But I cannot remember even one minute of labor on her roses.