Strawberries?

suziquzie

So, my mother came up this fall and planted strawberries because she doesn't have the space for them.

Not sure this was a bright idea..... as soon as my kids see anything red in a garden it gets eaten... :thumb:

Anyway, we covered them in straw for the winter, when is it ok to uncover them? Frost isn't a factor for them, correct?

lilylove

We leave ours uncovered all winter... they freeze and get snow covered. They come back bigger and stronger every year.

suziquzie

I thought they would be fine uncovered but.... you know WHO can never tell anyone anything and be right dont you??

Renfro Jones

I spent several summers in Norway on a farm and in that area of the country there were strawberry fields every where and they are some good strawberries. Suzi I know there are a lot of Scandinavians up there in MN, are you by any chance scandinavian.

Caitlin

I come from the Highlands of Scotland and we never covered our strawberries, just let them be and always got nice big fat juicy berries. YUM!

suziquzie

Nope not scandinavian.

Well, I uncovered them yesterday..... what I could anyway, there was still a bunch of frozen straw at the bottom.
However a vine and a few leaves that had escaped the covering were poking out and looked just fine.
I TOLD my mother they didn't need covering.
Oh well. My bet is that she'll cover again next year and make more work for me.
YAY.

suziquzie

Here's my ugly garden.....
The straw still on them was frozen. Proabably not today though.
She put the green fencing around her berries so the deer and rabbits wouldn't eat them.
First off, there's no berries yet!!! They're new plants!!!! :bonk:
Um, I've never lost a single tomato to a deer why would they start now.... and she's got more bunnies in the city than I do here.....
Can we say paranoid? :huh:
The other is the little guy that was out all winter. Looks fine to me!

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 127

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ummm heres where i am going to agree with your MIL..lol:hide:

Here's my ugly garden.....
The straw still on them was frozen. Proabably not today though.
She put the green fencing around her berries so the deer and rabbits wouldn't eat them.
First off, there's no berries yet!!! They're new plants!!!! :bonk:!
deer and rabbits love fresh plants not just fresh berries, we also put nets and fencing around our plants.
Um, I've never lost a single tomato to a deer why would they start now.... and she's got more bunnies in the city than I do here.....
Can we say paranoid? :huh:
we live in the city,we have rabbits,bears and deer come into the yard and try to eat little fresh plants.!

Oh well. My bet is that she'll cover again next year and make more work for me.
YAY.

i bet you are going to be right..lol

we use to have friends that had a u pick strawberry farm, and they always covered their strawberries in straw.... straw-berries... say the name again strawww berries..lmao

Mulch between plants after planting to keep the soil temperature cool, deter weeds and to keep the fruit off the soil. Straw is the traditional strawberry mulch. Do not use black plastic since it will raise the soil temperature and optimal fruit production requires cool soil.

In colder climates, mulching over the strawberry plants will prevent injury to the crowns. Wait until the temperature drops to 20 degrees F. and cover with several inches of straw or pine needles. Be sure to use a mulch that can be easily removed in the spring.

when you put straw around and over the plants, it helps to retain water and provide nutrients to the soil that the strawberry plants need

Last edited:
There are many strawberry farms out east here that do not cover them up. Your a bit north so it definitely couldnt hurt. As I know it, strawberries are like weeds. Kinda hard to kill, and live through just about anything. Im sure they will be fine. Ive transplanted mine so many times that I have stawberries popping out all over the yard in places i forgot i even grew them I get so many plants by the end of the year. I give them away.