"Cheating" on Coleslaw

SilverSage

Resident Crone
OK. Here it is. My guilty secret.

You all probably know that I make pretty much everything 'from scratch'. I don't buy salad dressing, pasta sauce, Kraft Dinner. I make bread, stock, jam, etc. But I have discovered a shortcut that I love.

Someone (not me!) brought home a jar of Bob Evans Colonial Dressing from their restaurant. It sat in the fridge for quite a while. One night I was making coleslaw. I cut up the cabbage, shredded the carrot, and them realized that I was missing some critical ingredient for the dressing.

Scrambling for a quick substitute, I spotted the Bob Evans dressing. I mixed it half-and-half with mayonnaise, added a little extra celery seed and pepper. Tossed it with the veg and voila! We love it. I never make coleslaw dressing from scratch anymore.

Whew! Confession is good for the soul.

Attachments

• coleslaw - Copy.jpg
    coleslaw - Copy.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 190

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am envious. We are doing 50's here, very welcome after the winter we had.

I just heard from a friend of mine today he is back in Lauderdale from the Bahamas. He retired and is / was planning on cruising the Cara bean. He had some problems and had to come back.

Anyway, back on subject. I look forward to the better weather here and I will keep the coleslaw recipe. Thank You

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will look for Bob Evans dressing, as I am ALL for great short cuts!

SS, I don't suppose you would consider buying a bag of already shredded cabbage and carrots, too??? (I'm a BIG cheater, LOL!)

Lee

Unfortunately, I remain a homemade cole slaw orphan - sniff, sniff.

Husband hates it with a passion (in fact, getting him to eat cabbage in any form is like pulling teeth). Thus, when I need a fix - especially if I'm making Sloppy Joe's or pulled barbecue sandwiches - I hit one of the local deli counters for just enough for my own plate.

Lefty

Yank
Be careful SS. It starts with coleslaw dressing, and where does it go from there?, The little green jar?
Kraft%20Grated%20Parmesan%20Cheese%209oz.jpg

The after the little green jar, it all gets worse, take my word for it, before long you will be a guest on Celeberty Chef Rehab. DO NOT DO IT. :D

Now, now. As much as I enjoy my chunks of authentic imported Reggiano, the "green can" does have its uses, & thus does have a place in my fridge door.

Just like Spam, et al, no need to slam it.

Lefty

Yank
Now, now. As much as I enjoy my chunks of authentic imported Reggiano, the "green can" does have its uses, & thus does have a place in my fridge door.

Just like Spam, et al, no need to slam it.

BC, the green can is kind of like an inside joke, it goes back as far as another web site. No slam intended. I was being funny. I'm sorry if my meaning was misunderstood.

OK. Here it is. My guilty secret.

You all probably know that I make pretty much everything 'from scratch'. I don't buy salad dressing, pasta sauce, Kraft Dinner. I make bread, stock, jam, etc. But I have discovered a shortcut that I love.

Someone (not me!) brought home a jar of Bob Evans Colonial Dressing from their restaurant. It sat in the fridge for quite a while. One night I was making coleslaw. I cut up the cabbage, shredded the carrot, and them realized that I was missing some critical ingredient for the dressing.

Scrambling for a quick substitute, I spotted the Bob Evans dressing. I mixed it half-and-half with mayonnaise, added a little extra celery seed and pepper. Tossed it with the veg and voila! We love it. I never make coleslaw dressing from scratch anymore.

Whew! Confession is good for the soul.

Great pic of the slaw, SS. Years ago their used to be a Bob Evans restaurant here in So Cal. Only ate there once or twice. Didn't know they had their own dressing. Will keep an eye out for same. Eons ago, I tried Bob's Big Boy Bleu cheese dressing. Not bad. I like that you added half-and-half to the mayo, rather than the dreaded (IMHO) sour cream & mayo combo. Thanks for sharing your recipe. FWIW, my cheaters slaw is sometimes made with bagged coleslaw. I have used it in egg rolls & a few other dishes like Moo Shoo.

Computer interruptus. Meant to ask about celery seed. It's one of those herbs/spices I've had in the pantry & never knew quite what to do with. Thought, perhaps, it should be crushed up before using in a recipe. So, you can add whole celery seed to slaw etc? (In the past, think I've used celery salt, but didn't find much use for it.)

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Celery seed is very different from celery salt. To me, celery salt just tastes like salt. Celery seed smells like celery, but has a tiny little bit of bite to it that perfectly compliments the sweet/sour taste of coleslaw.

I also make a celery seed salad dressing that I'll dig up and post if you're interested.

Be careful SS. It starts with coleslaw dressing, and where does it go from there?, The little green jar?
Lefty, if I tried that, I'd have to smuggle it in. No one in my family will eat it. Once I taught them about the wonderful little bursts of the flavor crystals in real parm-reg I ruined that short cut. :bonk:

The after the little green jar, it all gets worse, take my word for it, before long you will be a guest on Celeberty Chef Rehab. DO NOT DO IT. :D

Hmmm..... I wonder how I'd do on a reality show?????

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I love my "Horsey Cole Slaw Dressing;
That being said, I've utilized Marie's Cole slaw Dressing in a pinch....... I just mix in 3 TBL horseradish with the contents of one jar and , "BooYah !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife an I went out to eat a couple of weeks ago at one of our favorite sea food/Cajun places here in town. The place is the Ketch http://ketchseafoodgrill.com/ and they make a pretty good Cole slaw as well. Well they had it with a twist the other night called dirty slaw. What it amounted to was balsamic Cajun mustard vinaigrette that was excellent. I have tried the Bob Evans Colonial Dressing on salads and it is also pretty good as well.

Meme4251

SS, looks delicious! Is the restaurant the only place that the dressing is sold? Just wondering if it is marketed elsewhere....:respect:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I don't know if is sold elsewhere. I've only seen it in the restaurants.

They must have a website - maybe you can email them and ask.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I got the one I have in the restaurant also SS. Never seen it in any of the stores around here but perhaps they sell off the internet as well.