Fish Casserole

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My father-in-law used to keep us supplied with fresh fish (he was a top-notch bass fisherman :D), and this is one of the recipes that I used when I didn't want to fry it. I got this from my m-i-l, and she called it Bass Casserole because that's the type fish we would usually use.

4 to 6 fish fillets (any kind of white, flaky fish will work)
Milk
Flour
1 stick butter
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained, juice reserved
6 green onions, diced
2 cans Cream of Shrimp soup
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup sherry
Salt
Red pepper
Worcestershire
1 cup shrimp, cooked and chopped, or cooked crawfish tails, or pre-cooked salad shrimp

Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Dip the fillets in the milk and then dredge them in flour and lightly brown each side in the butter. Do this in two or more batches, adding butter as needed and adjusting the heat as needed so as not to burn. Place the filets in a greased, 13x9 casserole dish.

Add the bell pepper and onions to the skillet, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook until the bell pepper is tender. Add the shrimp soup, mushrooms, lemon, sherry, and about 1/3 of the reserved mushroom juice. Heat through and add salt, red pepper, and worcestershire to taste. Stir in the shrimp (or crawfish tails).

Pour the soup mixture over the fish fillets and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

If you don't like canned mushrooms, use fresh and add a little chicken broth instead of the mushroom juice. I have just made the sauce using crawfish tails and served it over linguini.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds great Cooksie. I have to be in Florida the last part of the month so I'm going to try your recipe with fresh red snapper. It sounds super. Thanks.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sounds great Cooksie. I have to be in Florida the last part of the month so I'm going to try your recipe with fresh red snapper. It sounds super. Thanks.

Thanks. I guess you've tried fresh red snapper on the half-shell. I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but it is one of those "to die for" things, one of the best ways that I have ever had fish prepared.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks. I guess you've tried fresh red snapper on the half-shell. I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but it is one of those "to die for" things, one of the best ways that I have ever had fish prepared.

I've never tried it. I have a grill in FL on which I could cook it, though. I'll google what goes on the meat. I usually steam snapper with some ginger and sherry with a hot EVOO bath before serving.