Toad in the Hole

lesley

This is ideal for a quick, tasty mid-week meal, you don't have to add the tomatoes & onions, I just wanted to use them up. You can use whatever left over meat you have as well.

toad-in-the-hole4.jpg

Serves 4
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
Ingredients

3 Large free range eggs
Semi skimmed/half fat milk
Plain/all purpose flour
6 Cumberland/pork sausages
1 Large onion, sliced
1 Large tomato, sliced
2 Tbsp Olive oil

Method

Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan
Add the sliced onion and fry until soft and slightly golden
Meanwhile heat the grill and brown the sausages
Arrange the onion and sausages in an preheated 8 inch/203mm/20.3cm casserole dish

Method for the batter

Break the eggs into a cup and take note of the level
Transfer the eggs into a large mixing bowl
Pour the milk up to the same cup level
Transfer the milk to the mixing bowl with the eggs
Do the same with the flour
Whisk the ingredients together until air bubbles form on the top
Pour over the sausages and add the sliced tomato on top
Bake in a preheated oven 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7 for approx 30 minutes, until pudding has risen above the dish and is golden brown

Cooks tips

If you want to use sausages wrapped in bacon, wrap a rasher of bacon around each sausage, place in the casserole dish and bake in a hot oven 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7 for 20 minutes, then add the batter
For mushrooms, just slice thickly and fry off with the onion

Equipment

Large mixing bowl
Large frying pan or wok
8 inch/203mm/20.3cm casserole dish

Shopping List

3 Large free range eggs
Semi skimmed/half fat milk
Plain/all purpose flour
6 Cumberland/pork sausages
1 Large onion
1 Large tomato
2 Tbsp Olive oil __________________

homecook

That looks awesome lesley!! On my to try list.....

That's alot different than what we used to call toad in a hole. It was just a piece of french toast with the middle cut out and a fried egg in the hole. lol

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
The traditional toad in the hole here is like Lesley's using sausages as the meat. I like it in all it's forms with a thick brown gravy over the lot.

yummmmmmmmmmmm

lesley

That looks awesome lesley!! On my to try list.....

That's alot different than what we used to call toad in a hole. It was just a piece of french toast with the middle cut out and a fried egg in the hole. lol

I've seen that dish with an egg in the middle, I think it's the USA version. If you make the UK version this try it with onion gravy, I think you'll like it.:tiphat:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
My Irish father in law used to make toad in the hole.
The same batter as for Yorkshire puddings, with fried sausages placed carefully throughout, baked until the pudding was nicely browned and puffed up, sliced into pieces with 1 sausage per serving with mash and vegs and a lovely gravy. :)

lesley

My Irish father in law used to make toad in the hole.
The same batter as for Yorkshire puddings, with fried sausages placed carefully throughout, baked until the pudding was nicely browned and puffed up, sliced into pieces with 1 sausage per serving with mash and vegs and a lovely gravy. :)
Yep, that's the one:chef: maybe 2 sausages :wink: