Vanilla

FryBoy

On March 1, 2009, Cook's Illustrated issued a report on vanilla extract. They declared McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract as the overall winner, noting its "strong flavor and sweet undertone." They also cited the following tasters' comments about McCormick's: "This vanilla won top praise for being 'strong,' 'rich,' and 'spicy,' with a 'sweet undertone.' It had 'clear vanilla flavor with nice balance' and notes of 'dried fruit,' 'caramel,' and 'chocolate,' 'like Kahlúa or Bailey’s.' In pudding, it was deemed 'a step above,' with an extremely 'pleasing finish.'"

These are the brands CI reviewed:

• Adams Pure Vanilla Extract
  • CF Sauer Co. Gold Medal Imitation Vanilla Extract
  • CF Sauer Co. Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Durkee Imitation Vanilla Flavor
  • Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract
  • McCormick Gourmet Collection Organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract
  • McCormick Premium Imitation Vanilla Extract
  • McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Morton & Bassett Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract
Just goes to show that the most expensive isn't always the best.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always loved the smell of vanilla extract, that is until as a child I tried to drink it. :puke1:Nasty tasting stuff when drank straight. I agree though of those tested McCormick's Pure is the best but I also like the real thing in vanilla beans.

FryBoy

Did it mention Watkin's ?
No, just the ones listed.

Cook's did find, however, that imitation vanilla extract is just as good as the real thing in cookies, but not as good as the real thing in cakes. Has to do with the chemical composition of the two and the effect of heat, which drives off most of the compounds that are in real but not in artificial vanilla -- cookies get hotter than cake when they bake. And when mixed with milk or in pudding, the real stuff was significantly better.

CF Sauer Company's Gold Medal Imitation Vanilla Extract was the top-rated of the fake stuff.

Calicolady

I always loved the smell of vanilla extract, that is until as a child I tried to drink it. :puke1:Nasty tasting stuff when drank straight. I agree though of those tested McCormick's Pure is the best but I also like the real thing in vanilla beans.

JoeC, I just looked, McCormicks Pure Vanilla Extract says
35% alcohol! Ya sure you weren't trying to get a buzz on?;)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Nope it isn't strong enough for me more like near beer. I could get higher with Listerine mouth wash. :thumb:

Tickle Me Elmo

I saw that Cook's Illustrated piece and have always used McCormick's vanilla. Although, I haven't bought any commercially-produced vanilla in about 10 years since making homemade. I have a huge bottle of the stuff that's almost as black as coal and has a most robust vanilla flavor.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I use Tones Pure Vanilla Extract but it's not on the list. I like it though.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We used to have Watkins pure vanilla extract, but can't find it anymore. Now we have McCormicks.
However, I have recently bought vanilla beans from Penzy's and have one soaking in vodka now. Another is going into vanilla bean ice cream, and the last into spiced rum to contrast and taste test which is better vodka based or spice rum based.

Good post!

Tickle Me Elmo

We used to have Watkins pure vanilla extract, but can't find it anymore. Now we have McCormicks.
However, I have recently bought vanilla beans from Penzy's and have one soaking in vodka now. Another is going into vanilla bean ice cream, and the last into spiced rum to contrast and taste test which is better vodka based or spice rum based.

Good post!

We prefer the vodka-based homemade vanilla. The rum-based seems to be a bit sweeter, which makes sense because vodka has essentially no flavor.

One bottle of our homemade vanilla is about 8-years-old and quite potent.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
As a child, I did the same thing JoeC did - couldn't resist the smell and had to have a taste. YUK! But I do adore vanilla now, and as much as I respect the CI testing staff, I won't change my habits and use imitation vanilla. I have wonderful Mexican vanilla available to me here, and it is GOOD.

lilylove

I use Mexican Vanilla too... problem is I'm running out!! We only take carry on bags with us when we travel and vanilla is liquid so getting it home is a pain! LOL... Guess I'll have to bring a real suitcase next time. :)