Do you use a salt bowl?

Lefty

Yank
I have a small very salt bowl on the counter all the time filled with either kosher or sea salt. I will wash my hands if I touch any meat/fish before grabbing a pinch or anything else in my kitchen for that matter.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a couple on the counter for cooking and shaker on the table. I keep kosher and sea salt to cook with with Iodized on the table which my wife requires do to a thyroid problem.

High Cheese

Saucier
I use a SS container with a lid. I'm very careful not to contaminate it and wash it when it's empties. Also, if I take too large of a pinch of salt, I will toss the rest and not put it back in the jar.

I only use Diamond Crystal kosher salt.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I have two, one for kosher salt that holds about 2 cups, and one for maldon salt that holds about a cup. Both are all wood so they don't corrode.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I have several shakers, some iodized, some not. I also use those McCormick sea salt grinders when I want to get fancy. I also pull out the box for big jobs like salting water for potatoes...

chowhound

I have one salt box with kosher in it. I like it. I never need to reseason my food at the table, so it suits me fine. I keep a tupperware salt shaker (and pepper) out by the grill with regular salt in it. I use it for quickie, frozen burgers or wings if I think they need salt.

homecook

I have a salt bowl next to my stove with my peppermill. I use kosher salt mostly. I usually just dump a bit in my hand so I'm not always putting my fingers in the bowl.
I do have s & p shakers at the table if anyone needs them.

Barb

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
A salt bowl with kosher salt, and salt grinder with sea salt, a pepper mill, and regular pepper fine ground from Penzey's.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
No salt bowl for me. I just use the Kosher salt box and pour out what I need. It has shaker holes as well as pour opening. I tried the bowl once or twice, but felt the opportunity for cross contamination was too high, so I went back to my original method. I can see times when it would be nice, but still don't see a need to have it as any sort of time saver. I'm a hobbyist, not a full time chef or cook.

Calicolady

No bowl. I use the canister for boiled water, the 4 oz. shaker I keep on the stove and the small shaker on the table.
For pepper, I buy peppercorns and grind about 8 oz at a time.
I keep about 2 oz in a jar in my spice cabinet, and 2 oz whole and 2 oz ground in jars in the freezer, and 2 oz, in the shaker on the table.

Wart

Banned
I use a stainless salt bowl with lid for Kosher salt.

I don't worry about cross contamination , much. I just make sure I don't stick spooge covered fingers in the bowl. And I don't return salt to the bowl.

The way I see it is there isn't much going to live let alone grow in a pure salt medium.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I use a SS container with a lid. I'm very careful not to contaminate it and wash it when it's empties. Also, if I take too large of a pinch of salt, I will toss the rest and not put it back in the jar.

I only use Diamond Crystal kosher salt.

Why just Diamond Crystal brand?

Deelady

I have a flip top glass container I usually have Kosher salt in but right now I have sea salt in it because I bought the wrong kind of Kosher last time and didnt care for it. :(

lilylove

I really need to buy one. I always shake the darn salt into my hand before adding it to my food ... and I don't like table salt anyway... : )

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't have one because there are too many gross people here and they will stick their grubby fingers in it. But I do put some in a tiny, little glass bowl as part of my mise en place.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually used to keep mine beside the sugar bowl which is similar looking to my salt bowls. They are however clearly marked but evidently not good enough for my wife who put a table spoon of what she though was sugar into my coffee that was actually kosher salt. :yuk:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use a salt pig that I inherited from a dear friend. I love it! Keep it right next to my stove.

Looks sort of like this one:

(Hmmmph, I could have sworn I posted this once already today!)

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have an original Alton Brown salt cellar that he signed--from his first batch. I do not use it.

I keep a little salt in a tiny rubbermaid container that I use for cooking.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I don't have one because there are too many gross people here and they will stick their grubby fingers in it. But I do put some in a tiny, little glass bowl as part of my mise en place.

For the unwashed and foreign language impaired (me), could you give me the English translation of mise en place? I'll give you my Italian bread recipe in return. Deal?:smile:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG, I feel faint!! This has never happened - me telling someone else something about cooking? I will always love you for this, Joe!

OK, the only reason I know this is someone else told me what it is. It's a french term for a way to prep for cooking something. You measure, chop, slice, dice and lay out all of the ingredients in order in front of you before you begin cooking. Usually, you have a lot of small bowls just for this if you follow this method. I was told it is often done this way in restaurants. It's really good for me because I'm new to cooking and I forget key ingredients if I don't do this ahead of time.

And I'd love your Italian bread recipe.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You measure, chop, slice, dice and lay out all of the ingredients in order in front of you before you begin cooking. Usually, you have a lot of small bowls just for this if you follow this method. I was told it is often done this way in restaurants. It's really good for me because I'm new to cooking and I forget key ingredients if I don't do this ahead of time.

I use the same method but didn't know it had a French name, but it figures. It seems that is what the French brought to cooking, formalizing it into their language.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I use the same method but didn't know it had a French name, but it figures. It seems that is what the French brought to cooking, formalizing it into their language.
That's true - the plainest stuff sounds fabulous in french! Because really, I think of this method as "assembly line style", but mise en place sounds way cooler!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually picked up the method watching Martin Yan (I will make a wild guess he isn't French :chef:). When cooking with a Wok you have to be ready to go as it is very fast.

Wart

Banned
I do the front or prep work and put it in the staging area.

mise en place, yeah, thats the phrase I can't seem to remember.

chowhound

I have an original Alton Brown salt cellar that he signed--from his first batch. I do not use it.

I keep a little salt in a tiny rubbermaid container that I use for cooking.

I used to do that, take the lid off when I was cooking, but I'm basically a lazy soul and didn't like refilling it often, thus the saltbox I use now.