bronzini and company

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
stocking up for the weekend, made a trip to our local fish monger. after stopping at the bank to clean out my account . . .

bronzini - speeling varies... have seen it local other shops, 'tis true indeed it's a Mediterranean fish flown airfrt here fresh on ice....

have not tried it, also bought a couple salmon steaks "to be sure"....
this shop only purchases whole fresh fish - they cut it up 'to order' - the salmon is farmed Scottish; the whole fish hangs out both sides of the table....

hit the salmon with a hot sear on both sides, into the broiler for 7 minutes, flipped salmon and bronzini, another seven minutes.
result: empty plates.

the bronzini is a mega-hit; highly recommended.

looks like (pre&post)

Attachments

• DSC_4474.jpg
    DSC_4474.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_4483.jpg
    DSC_4483.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 143

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bronzini is a new one on me, CM.

Thanks for the review!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had never heard of it either until Vera posted about it on here a while back.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
We do luv a good seafood - so I'm always on the lookout for something new to town. regrets our local megamarkets are abysmally terrible about "fresh" fish - first, it is all frozen. it's thawed at their distribution center, I think they hang on to the thawed fish for 4-5 days just to be sure it smells by the time it gets to the retail store...

once in great while they'll get never frozen stuff - typically dressed rainbow trout - and I have seen whole bronzini in the case but with shriveled up eyeballs and definitely so far past fresh . . .

I'll take some pix of the Louie-Louie shop next time. been wanting to try the bronzini but would not dare to buy it from Giant -

the 'construction' is much like a trout - i.e. split the meat from the center, comes off the bone nicely. the taste is mild and yummy - it's sometimes described as "buttery" and I'd agree with that.