Hey gang, Going fishing much?

Derek

Banned
I've got my fishing gear for the summer time use, Now I got to learn to scale the fish bait the hook all over again.

513454494_4UG3Z-L.jpg

I'll be getting the combo license so I know I don't have study up on the fish although I will probably study up on the fish any ways so I know if I want to release or take home and saute them.

Deelady

I'm hoping to go camping soon but we dont have any fishing gear....on the to do list in the future!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have camping and fishing gear, but been a long time since I have been able to fish. We do manage to go camping once a year, so I am hoping this year we can fish too. Just hard for DW to get away during the summer as that is when she works the most!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, you’re in luck. That is a fly-fishing rig, so there is no hook to bait. Your fly tapping the water is your lure/bait. Scaling a fish is easy and can be done with a spoon (but other utensils make it a bit easier). Just hold at the tail and rub “against the grain” to flake the scales off.

The fun part is gutting them. Get yourself a sharp knife and then cut ‘em from asshole to appetite. Whatever doesn’t spill out, you need to pull out. If you plan to filet, then THAT will require a little finesse.

Derek

Banned
I'm hoping to go camping soon but we dont have any fishing gear....on the to do list in the future!!
Oh yes, I'm planing on trout, salmon?, pike and so on.

Fresh trout cooked over a camp fire. Nothing better!
You said it Trish.

I have camping and fishing gear, but been a long time since I have been able to fish. We do manage to go camping once a year, so I am hoping this year we can fish too. Just hard for DW to get away during the summer as that is when she works the most!
Well the bbq I was hopping to throw was going to be near water, and some of us could have fished for din din.

Derek

Banned
Well, you’re in luck. That is a fly-fishing rig, so there is no hook to bait. Your fly tapping the water is your lure/bait. Scaling a fish is easy and can be done with a spoon (but other utensils make it a bit easier). Just hold at the tail and rub “against the grain” to flake the scales off.

The fun part is gutting them. Get yourself a sharp knife and then cut ‘em from asshole to appetite. Whatever doesn’t spill out, you need to pull out. If you plan to filet, then THAT will require a little finesse.
I know this Kelt, I It's been white a while when I was fishing and yes that's what I wanted so I could put it on my mo-ped for easier use.

Also there is a cool trick I've learned from Alton Brown for scaling.

PanchoHambre

nope no fishing... think my rod is still in dad's storage somewhere.... grandma sold the boat when gramps passed.... the pickup is dead...

Would be nice though.. I would at least like to do some camping this summer but vacation seems to be a thing of the past

I do see people fishing in the Delaware here... not sure if catching needles and beercans counts as fishing per se though

Wasabi

Love to go fishing. We cast from the shore into the ocean and sit and enjoy the view. Here are a list of "fish" I've caught through the years. Eels, shark, turtle, lobster, octopus, manta ray and lots and lots of balloon fish. If I relied on what I caught for substance, we would starve.:biggrin:

Derek

Banned
Love to go fishing. We cast from the shore into the ocean and sit and enjoy the view. Here are a list of "fish" I've caught through the years. Eels, shark, turtle, lobster, octopus, manta ray and lots and lots of balloon fish. If I relied on what I caught for substance, we would starve.:biggrin:
That's why I'm fishing again, And guys should I buy a letter man for slicing the fish open?

Also the fish I've listed so I get ready made flies?

and practice my casting in my living room with a small weight attached to the line, So I can get good again?

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I know this Kelt, I It's been white a while when I was fishing and yes that's what I wanted so I could put it on my mo-ped for easier use.

Also there is a cool trick I've learned from Alton Brown for scaling.

I know you know this Derek. You’re worldly and experienced with a natural talent for these things, but since this is a public forum and many will read it for years, I didn’t want the casual wanderer by to get confused by your exclamation of “baiting the hook” while using a fly rod.

I've got my fishing gear for the summer time use, Now I got to learn to scale the fish bait the hook all over again.

I’m sure you meant “tie the fly”, but the average surfer without so much experience might get confused and think a worm or cricket were involved. So for their sakes, the casual surfer, I only mention this. It’s much like when those in the know say a “dash” and we mean a 1/2 teaspoon……but some don’t get it, so the terminology needs to be explained a bit more lest we leave those seeking knowledge in the dark.

Derek

Banned
I know you know this Derek. You’re worldly and experienced with a natural talent for these things, but since this is a public forum and many will read it for years, I didn’t want the casual wanderer by to get confused by your exclamation of “baiting the hook” while using a fly rod.

I’m sure you meant “tie the fly”, but the average surfer without so much experience might get confused and think a worm or cricket were involved. So for their sakes, the casual surfer, I only mention this. It’s much like when those in the know say a “dash” and we mean a 1/2 teaspoon……but some don’t get it, so the terminology needs to be explained a bit more lest we leave those seeking knowledge in the dark.
You don't have to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick bro, You know I'm still learning the correct terminology. and yes I did mean tie the fly.

lilylove

I'm very proud to say I bait my own hooks... real worms and all! lol.

I refuse to clean fish though... can't get my hands all icky!! I'm a girl. :) :) :)

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I refuse to clean fish though... can't get my hands all icky!! I'm a girl. :) :) :)

Well see there ya go! You can bait the worms cause I won't touch em, and I will happily clean the fish!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You don't have to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick bro, You know I'm still learning the correct terminology. and yes I did mean tie the fly.

No sarcasm intended bro, but when another reader comes along such as DW or some of the land-locked friends I know that want to learn how to fish, it might be a little bit helpful if they understood there is no need to bait a fly. There are hundreds of ways of fishing, and some use real bait such as bottom or cork fishing. I mean, what if we were trolling with chum???? Just trying to help bro.

Derek

Banned
No sarcasm intended bro, but when another reader comes along such as DW or some of the land-locked friends I know that want to learn how to fish, it might be a little bit helpful if they understood there is no need to bait a fly. There are hundreds of ways of fishing, and some use real bait such as bottom or cork fishing. I mean, what if we were trolling with chum???? Just trying to help bro.
No problem, I'll try to be careful with my terminology ok?

And my typing sucks really bad tonight for some reason, I'm making several mistakes I normally don't.

It's cool though, So should I buy a lettermen for the scaling part?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You go trolling with your chums??:whistle:

So, what ya trolling for?:brows:

Actually, we would run the drop net for about 30 minutes, and then sort it for shrimp which went on dry ice in the coolers. Any fish we had went in “the bucket”. Then it got chopped for chum and put on the hooks for trolling. We’d get everything from shark to red fish doing that.

But, I can think of a few “chums” that would look good on the end of a hook!! :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No problem, I'll try to be careful with my terminology ok?

And my typing sucks really bad tonight for some reason, I'm making several mistakes I normally don't.

It's cool though, So should I buy a lettermen for the scaling part?

Not sure what a Letterman is, but if it is expensive, save your money. I’ve scaled fish with everything from an edged stick to a dull pocket knife, and that includes all the fancy toothed gadgets in between.

Don’t worry about the scaling part, put your money into a good filet knife.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Whoa!!!! Wait...wait.....I thought you said you baited your own hooks with worms??

That has got to be the stickiest mess I've ever seen. I'd actually rather gut a fish than do that. Worm guts just dry up and get so caked and sticky, but fish guts just roll off your hands.

Uh..........WTH??? Never mind!!! :yum:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Whoa!!!! Wait...wait.....I thought you said you baited your own hooks with worms??

That has got to be the stickiest mess I've ever seen. I'd actually rather gut a fish than do that. Worm guts just dry up and get so caked and sticky, but fish guts just roll off your hands.

Uh..........WTH??? Never mind!!! :yum:

Open mouth, insert foot....:yum::yum:

Derek

Banned
Anyway guys, What else do I need except for my $28 Usd license and flies?

I'm going to get one of those trendy fishing vests that acts as a life jacket and probably waiters as well, Bu that will be more at the end of summer.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, a good net (don't know if you mentioned you have one already), good tackle box, and some basic tools in it like needle nose pliers, mini flashlight and pocket knife. I have a 'Toolman' that I take if and when I can go fishing.
I don't know if anyone remembers them? Came in a nice leather holster and not only acts like a Swiss Knife but also swings out to make pliers and folds flat for a measuring stick.