Obama - Moving Fast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Really, I promise not to go over the line, Mav. I like everyone here and I wouldn't want to anger anyone by taking a stance that conflicts with someone else's.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Stink eye, LOL I like that... I could be Stinky Eyed One!!

I know FM, but thank you for saying it!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My only response is "What the heck was that?!?!?!" LMAO

It’s a special, highly guarded and secret martial arts move. When you have to open a “can”, you scream “Evil Monkey Eye” and WHAM, BAM! It’s done. Special secret combo moves rock! You go Mav!! :ninja:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
joec, I feel that way when any new president takes office. I feel he has the potential to be one of the greats (I try to give people the benefit of doubt at first) or one of the worst!

babe

Re: Obama - Stem Cell Research

5dp6xs.jpg

:yum:

Really, what Obama is doing is blowing away what I used to say about all Presidents.
They were all just icons for the public to focus on, but the real power lied with the “advisors”, generals, etc that had been there for generations. Now, Obama is saying damn to them all and making decision based on his promises and own ideals. It seems we may finally have a President and not a puppet. It’s very interesting. Some may not agree with what he is doing, but he was elected, so I’m rather pleased to see him shaking some tress and not just sitting back and taking the handouts under the table. Right or wrong, he is definitely acting differently, boldly, and strongly.

I'm just surpirsed is all. But......if this thread does turn South, close it fast Mav!!!

he is doing what he said he would do. i admire that, it is an up hill battle as the old guys liked the staus quo. they got rich , we didn't

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
nothing, and
I mean nothing should be "rushed through" in the huge gubment we have.

period
This ain't nuthin. Wait until Stimulus II appears on the radar. The drunken sailors in the gub-ment have realized that the bazzilions in the current Porkulus will not save the jobs that they had anticipated with this plan, so more money needs to be printed to get the desired effect they're after. Funny, we would be jailed if we ran our businesses and families the way these geniuses are running the gub-ment, yet they are being praised for destroying our children and grandchildren's financial futures. I can only imagine the Jimmy Carter taxes and inflationary interest rates that will be appearing in the near future because of all the "stimulating" this crowd is doing. Anybody here remember 19% interest rates to buy a house? If you forgot them, just wait, because "They're coming around the mountain." All this "Change" is coming at a freaking huge cost to our future.

Last edited by a moderator:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
It seems to me that if people don't want to read a particular thread, they should just not read it. If it's troubling to you, FryBoy, ignore it and go read something that does interest you. Thanks, Mav, for being a true "super" moderator.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
LOL thank you Karen, I was busy looking for a particular clip from "My Fellow Americans"... for those of you who have not seen the movie... it is well worth it to check it out!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
This is exactly why political posts don't work in non-political forums. Everyone has a point of view with reasons to back it up but this type of discussion should be at FF, not NCT. Let's do our best to keep it that way. Thanks.

Buzz

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Buzz!!

And here is the clip I was looking for:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJDL5mmhik&feature=related[/ame]

Check it out about 7min in... a great and very funny movie with a good back message (non partisan which is why I was looking for it). A great reminder that this isn't really about politics but lives, and families, and futures...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Check it out about 7min in... a great and very funny movie with a good back message (non partisan which is why I was looking for it). A great reminder that this isn't really about politics but lives, and families, and futures...

Excellent Mav. Just plain excellent.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is exactly why political posts don't work in non-political forums. Everyone has a point of view with reasons to back it up but this type of discussion should be at FF, not NCT. Let's do our best to keep it that way. Thanks.

Buzz

:soapbox:

You can say the exact same thing about cooking. Everyone has a point of view. The problem is not the point of view, but the amount of emotion that some put into it and how far they are willing to push it on others and fight in public to make everyone see they are right.

I can’t count the number of “Food Snobs” that I’ve encountered that will fight you tooth and nail that butter, REAL butter, is better than margarine, real spice grinders are better than McCormick grinders, and Hamburger Helper is Satan’s gift to the homeless. It’s ridiculous, and it happens in a FOOD forum.

If everyone would get over “being right” and let everyone else enjoy their own opinion irregardless of how different or “left/right” they may be, then forums in general would be a better place.

The problem is NOT the subject matter, it’s the psyche and egos of those “defending” or “attacking” the opinions. Why fight over an opinion? State it or read it and move on. It’s just an opinion. Will it really kill anyone to close the browser window if they happen to think “someone is wrong on the internet”?

We’re all different with our own POVs, and that is what makes life a great place. If we were all the same. Imagine how horrible that would be. No conversation at all since we would all be the same and thinking the same thing. No need to say a word since we would all think the same thing and know/feel what the other was thinking. How scary, and what would be the point? We’d be the Borg (any Star Trek fans here).

Face it, the real problem is rarely the subject matter but is instead how we “feel” about it, interpret it, and want to respond to it. If everyone concentrated on being courteous and considerate of everyone else’s feelings in EVERY conversation then the world would be a different place.

Sadly, I doubt that state of affairs will ever come round.

Ok, I’m off the box now. :gulp:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

You can say the exact same thing about cooking. Everyone has a point of view. The problem is not the point of view, but the amount of emotion that some put into it and how far they are willing to push it on others and fight in public to make everyone see they are right.

I can’t count the number of “Food Snobs” that I’ve encountered that will fight you tooth and nail that butter, REAL butter, is better than margarine, real spice grinders are better than McCormick grinders, and Hamburger Helper is Satan’s gift to the homeless. It’s ridiculous, and it happens in a FOOD forum.

If everyone would get over “being right” and let everyone else enjoy their own opinion irregardless of how different or “left/right” they may be, then forums in general would be a better place.

The problem is NOT the subject matter, it’s the psyche and egos of those “defending” or “attacking” the opinions. Why fight over an opinion? State it or read it and move on. It’s just an opinion. Will it really kill anyone to close the browser window if they happen to think “someone is wrong on the internet”?

We’re all different with our own POVs, and that is what makes life a great place. If we were all the same. Imagine how horrible that would be. No conversation at all since we would all be the same and thinking the same thing. No need to say a word since we would all think the same thing and know/feel what the other was thinking. How scary, and what would be the point? We’d be the Borg (any Star Trek fans here).

Face it, the real problem is rarely the subject matter but is instead how we “feel” about it, interpret it, and want to respond to it. If everyone concentrated on being courteous and considerate of everyone else’s feelings in EVERY conversation then the world would be a different place.

Off the box and onto the bottle, gotta love the smileys! LOL.

I agree, most problems are a simple matter of getting too personal on a subject. If everyone could keep from getting personal or making personal attacks... well yea things would be a lot less turbulent!

But, we do need to recognize that some subjects bring this out faster than others. And we also need to recognize that this is a cooking site, not a debate forum, so while open conversation is encouraged here on matters beyond cooking, we try and limit and control subjects that have a history of causing flair ups.
We do this with the help of our members, and by taking the least action first and escalating from there. As long as we all, as members, recognize and understand we are dealing with a touchy subject and keep any personal attacks or any kind of inflammatory remarks out of our posts, we can keep going.
If we need to edit or tweak a post now and then to keep it going, great! Just as long as we don't find ourselves dealing with strings of posts we will be fine.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Off the box and onto the bottle, gotta love the smileys! LOL.

I agree, most problems are a simple matter of getting too personal on a subject. If everyone could keep from getting personal or making personal attacks... well yea things would be a lot less turbulent!

But, we do need to recognize that some subjects bring this out faster than others. And we also need to recognize that this is a cooking site, not a debate forum, so while open conversation is encouraged here on matters beyond cooking, we try and limit and control subjects that have a history of causing flair ups.
We do this with the help of our members, and by taking the least action first and escalating from there. As long as we all, as members, recognize and understand we are dealing with a touchy subject and keep any personal attacks or any kind of inflammatory remarks out of our posts, we can keep going.
If we need to edit or tweak a post now and then to keep it going, great! Just as long as we don't find ourselves dealing with strings of posts we will be fine.

Yep, straight from the box to the bottle. Maybe I should make that my sig! :lol:

Odd thing is, I couldn’t care less about politics! I really just don’t care about it. I don't mind discussing it in a friendly manner, but I've got NO emotions tied into it at all. Take it or leave it is my motto.

Religion can get a stir out of me but that is easily controlled, but personal things like saying Hamburger Helper is for the homeless, or Cream of Mushroom soup is for the ignorant and lazy, makes me want to fight. I actually like Hamburger Helper on occasion, and I LOVE cooking with CoM soup.

Crap, now I’ve done it. :pat:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

I couldn't have said it better myself! :agree:....and that's all I have to say about that....

Wart

Banned
.... and I LOVE cooking with CoM soup.
Crap, now I’ve done it. :pat:
OMG, Keltin, I can't believe you said that! Didn't you get banned at the other place for that?????:yum:
Crap....yeah.....here we go again!!!! :yum::yum::yum::yum:

You must be one LAZY SOB if you won't even make a basic sauce and instead grab a can of CoM ....

Least that's what I was 'told' when I posted "grab a can of CoM" .... :yum: What pretentious assholes.

Funny thing about Snobs, their so intent on keeping ahead they don't realize their not fighting for the lead, their fighting to keep from being put a lap down.:yum:

Status
Not open for further replies.