$4000 to move!!!!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I am soooooooooo in the wrong business! Two quotes for approximately 7000 pounds of stuff to move is approximately $4000 bucks.

Wow.

Have three appointments for rentals set to view on the 20th. Also supposed to meet with a realtor that day as well. Would rather not 'do' the realtor to save money, though.

Boss has settled down to acceptance yesterday, after I called HR, that is.

Packed 6 boxes so far.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I would expect that the insurance costs for the movers are rather high. That doesn't make it any easier to take.

It's the work situation that I do nto understand. They are actively interviewing for your replacement and then get upset when you make other plans.

Please take pix of NOLA for us.

YeOldeStonecat

It is fairly expensive....I have to move out a tenant of mine because I'm selling that house..before the lease is up, so....cost of the move for tenant is out of my pocket.

Initial sticker shock of the cost of the move...once I picked myself up off the floor, the guy from the moving company told me what can be done to bring the price down. And when you stop and think about it...what he said made sense.

It's the cost of manpower, time, which is the big part of the equation. If they...the movers, have to take all your goods...pack them in boxes...boxes that they provide and charge for...and carry those boxes out to the truck...you're going to have a high cost. Rooms like kitchens are wicked expensive....think about it.

What can you do? Focus on taking much of that...packing it yourself into boxes...and placing those boxes in a location like your garage so they're easier and quicker for the moving co guys to carry to the truck. Kitchen cupboard items, closets, etc. And big items like artwork on the wall, large LCD/Plasma TVs...if you can..that's a big saver too.

For my house...to pack up the tenant...he priced for 4x people to spend 8 hours packing...plus packing materials. 2nd day was price of loading truck and moving to new location and carrying stuff inside. My wife and I will pre-pack a lot of the stuff, thus taking a huge bite out of that 4x peeps times 8 hours plus lotsa boxes....cutting my bill by approx 30-40%.

Luckily my wife is a real estate agent..so cost of selling my home was nice...did a FSBO..(for sale by owner)...so no sales commish to pay, plus we get money because she gets a cut of the buyers commish. And the house we're purchasing to move into (since we've been renting in the town we live in until I sold my home)....she's my buying agent...so commish from the sale comes right back to us. :) And she was able to find our tenant a new apartment...so part of that rental commish comes back.

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank
I was in the moving business during my college years and what SCat says is true. Right now if I were even thinking about moving, the first thing I would do is a complete room by room cleans sweep. Put everything in 3 groups, keep, sell and trash. Once that was done, I would do a yard sale to get rid of the stuff I don't need.
The last thing I would do is to pre-pack everything I could live without and neatly stack them in the room nearest to the door so it is a straight shot into the truck.

A good moving plan takes up to 2 months to pull off smartly.

1 more tip, is if you know where you are going to and your living room furniture wont work with the new place, sell it before the move, no sense lugging some thing around that big that you will eventually get rid of later.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Lefty's right. Get rid of all that crap you never use anyway. It's difficult but once accomplished you feel better. Example: DW and I moved about a month and a half ago. I had a couple of boxes filled with laser discs that I had spent a lot of money on originally. My laser disc player was on the fritz and even if it was working I never would have watched them anyway. Hell, I can't even stand DVD's any more because I'm hooked on high definition and don't want to see anything but 1080P on Blu-Ray. I checked ebay to see what I could get and discovered it wasn't worth the effort so I chucked all the discs and the player into the trash can and said goodbye.

I don't miss them.

Simplify your life. :)

YeOldeStonecat

Some other thoughts in prepping...as this is what we're going through now....places to get free boxes so you can start packing ahead of time.

Your local florist is a good source of boxes...do you have any? Stop by and ask them if they can save some boxes for you. Just missed the mothers day rush..when they would have had TONS of boxes. But if you can stop by a few times a week and pick up some. Most boxes that florists get are great for packing/moving...they're usually long rectangular boxes, not too deep. Kinda like small low flat coffins if you will. Great for clothes, linen closet stuff, etc.

Another source is the local computer shop....I'm bringing home several boxes per week from my office, I'm a small business computer/network consultant..so we get boxes in for desktop PCs/workstations, servers, bigger "misc" boxes from Ingram Micro 'n CDW when we order bulk stuff.

Many places are more than happy to put boxes aside for you...as they don't have to spent the time breaking them down and carrying them out to a cardboard only dumpster..so it helps them. As long as you do show up every few days to pick them up so they don't pile up in their shop taking up space.

Places to buy boxes....a business that I see more and more of popping up..those "mailbox/shipping" stores..where you can drop off goods to ship via UPS or FedEx. You can work out a deal with them to pickup a bulk amount..and it will cost you much less than if you had to purchase the boxes from your moving company.

Lefty

Yank
Grocery stores are also an excellent source for free boxes. They aslo have many 5 gallon buckets for free too. (ya just have to get the pickle smell out) :tongue:

smoke king

Banned
Wow-4 K? Guess I haven't moved in awhile......:shock:!!!

I know that it isn't quite this clear cut, but I recall being told a long time ago (I moved around and traveled a lot) That any household items that were no longer worth at least 30 cents on the dollar (of their original price) were not worth moving (when figuring in the cost to move them) and should be dispensed with and replaced when you arrive at your new location.

That doesn't take into account items of sentimental value of course, but it is something to keep in mind.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Indeed, I am packing my own boxes. That would probably have added another thousand bucks to the move.
Working in food service, we get huge deliveries of food/produce/beverages almost daily, so getting free boxes is not a problem!
You are entitled to free insurance for your items...the state pays 6 cents for every pound. So, a 5 pound chair would get you $3 if it's damaged, regardless if it cost you 10 bucks or a thousand.

Holy shit!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Sell whatever you can here and buy new stuff down there.

+1

We've moved a lot - several cross counrty moves. Movers charges by weight, so take a good hard look at all the big heavy stuff (and the books) to decided what you really want to keep.

And be brutal when disposing of things. It's easy to think you just love something, but remember: Don't love something that can't love you back!

K

Kimchee

Live even MORE adventurously.... move yourself!
That will save you about $2500 right there.
Course, you have to pack, load the truck, drive the
truck and unload it yourself.
It's not for everyone... in fact, I wish it wasn't for me, either, LOL!

It is the only way I have ever moved. Hopefully next
move will be MY adventure, with a professional company doing it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I worked for a cheapo company early on in my career. They had the movers and packers load up a 24ft Uhaul and I had to drive it to our new location and they then unloaded it for me. Worked for us at the time. Maybe that would be an option for you to save some bucks.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How about one of those Pods that they park in your driveway...you load it yourself then they pick it up and take it where you want and then you unload it and call them when you're done?

smoke king

Banned
How about one of those Pods that they park in your driveway...you load it yourself then they pick it up and take it where you want and then you unload it and call them when you're done?

I actually used one of those a few years back, and it worked out pretty well. We were able to pack it, carefully, and at our leisure, and when we were done they sent out a truck, moved it for us, and we were able to unpack it in the same way, with no time constraints.
This was just an in-city move, but I want to say the whole thing was a little under 300 bucks. I'm sure mileage will factor into the cost, but if you have the time, it may be worth checking into.

Good Idea Mama!!!:thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That is a freakin' awesome idea, Mama! If I ever move again, that's what I will do.

In all my married life, I have never used a moving company. Hubby and I have rented a huge truck, packed up and moved ourselves every time. I hate it. We've also helped move our grown kids the same way.

A pod would be soooo much better because you don't have to immediately take off driving after loading. (They charge you truck rental by the day.) Also, I think the pod company will store your pod until you have a new place and then they will drive it to you.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

We considered that...don't know anyone down there that can help unload it!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We considered that...don't know anyone down there that can help unload it!
You might be able to hire some locals to help unload. The pod company might even have a list of some who are available for hire.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
You might be able to hire some locals to help unload. The pod company might even have a list of some who are available for hire.
I was thinking the same thing. The company may have a list of people/companies that can be trusted to unload.