"I hate the expression ....."

YeOldeStonecat

I can't stand that saying "You want to have your cake and eat it too"

Uhm...if I already have my cake...I am going to eat it. It's not like I have my cake and I'm not going to eat it.....I have it because I am going to eat it, nobody is going to stop me. If I didn't want to eat it, I wouldn't have it.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, stoneycat. umm, i guess you really like cake.

that reminds me of my buddy omega boy (who still only lurks here, grrrr).

he was dating a girl named kate, but his old flame named edith was coming into town and he didn't know what to do.

i realized that he was confused because he wanted to have his kate and edith too.

true story, lol.

YeOldeStonecat

he was dating a girl named kate, but his old flame named edith was coming into town and he didn't know what to do.

i realized that he was confused because he wanted to have his kate and edith too.

true story, lol.

//groan! :tongue:

:pat::yankchain:

Eh not that I like cake a lot, pretty much only carrot cake if the frosting is good, angel food sometimes. It's just my literal engineering thinking....if I have cake, I have it because I'm going to eat it. If I wasn't going to eat it, I wouldn't have it in the first place.

That literal thinking leads to another common phrase....although it doesn't bother me like the cake thing, it just doesn't make sense to me...grammatically speaking. When someone goes to the bathroom..they often say "I have to take a pee"..or "I have to take a sh..".

I don't "take" any, but I leave some...until I flush. :pee_smilie:

smoke king

Banned
A couple that Grandpa used to use, that to this day make no sense to me;

-"In the catbird seat" -wtf is a "catbird" and where is this "seat"?

-"Can't win for losin'"............................???????????

-And when gramps found something to be not to his liking, he referred to it as a "piss cutter". OK, I'll admit that it does sound funny to me, so I use it too. But I still don't know what it means!

Maybe I'm overthinking them, and "they are what they are".:yum:

Wart

Banned
OK, I'll admit that it does sound funny to me, so I use it too. But I still don't know what it means!

Oh yes, our elders sayings.

I too wonder what they mean, several of dads favorites were PissWilly, Nickle Dick, I think NumbNuts. I haven't thought about this for years.

One that really has me wondering was Piddle F****r. ? You pee while ... Noooooo ....

One of Dads phrases that caused some embarrassment was Stepin Fetchit. Dad called me that for years, I had no idea. Yeah, I saw Song of the South .... when I was 4. After being called Stepin Fetchit and the message being 'get your ass in gear' for a decade and a half I had no idea there were racial connotations .... OoPs.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
A couple that Grandpa used to use, that to this day make no sense to me;

-"In the catbird seat" -wtf is a "catbird" and where is this "seat"?

-"Can't win for losin'"............................???????????

-And when gramps found something to be not to his liking, he referred to it as a "piss cutter". OK, I'll admit that it does sound funny to me, so I use it too. But I still don't know what it means!

"Go piss up a rope" (how?)

"F you and the white horse you rode in on."

"Uber".. the first time I heard this I wanted to strangle the person who uttered it first, THEN ask wth the meaning was!
"Oh I am uber hungry, let's go get some lunch." whaaaaaaaat????

Whatevs...:whistling::hide::tongue:

buckytom

Grill Master
lol about uber, sass. it's german, but it became an over or improperly used word here.

and lol about elder's sayings. try having an irish father. he uses expressions that i doubt anyone understands.

also, i dated an irish girl a while back that said the weirdest things. once, a bar was so packed that she said "she couldn't turn a sweet in her mouth."
if something was funny, it was "like jimmy dillon's ducks". or "getting a leg over" was having sex.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
lol about uber, sass. it's german, but it became an over or improperly used word here.

and lol about elder's sayings. try having an irish father. he uses expressions that i doubt anyone understands.

also, i dated an irish girl a while back that said the weirdest things. once, a bar was so packed that she said "she couldn't turn a sweet in her mouth."
if something was funny, it was "like jimmy dillon's ducks". or "getting a leg over" was having sex.

I have an Irish FIL who lives in Burnley, Lancashire..
When the sky was cloudy showing a little blue through the clouds, he used to say something like 'tis enough to make a waistcoat for a church mouse".. or something like that.
He had hilarious, witty sayings for almost everything.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love everyone's saying they remember from their parents. I've heard a few of them, but most of them were new to me. My mom had a lot of sayings, too, but the meaning was very clear. Like when we told her we wanted something that was expensive or ridiculous, she would say "Yeah, and people in hell want ice water, too". Or if my brother was bouncing around, unable to sit still, she would say he was "like a fart in a mitten".

buckytom

Grill Master
lol sass and f-mom.

an old co-worker used to say, when anyone complained about their job, "well, we could always go back to sucking farts out of bus seats".

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
:yum::yum: That's very descriptive, BT! Now I never want to ride a bus again.

My mom used to tell us that if we didn't behave, she'd "kill us and tell God we died".

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
"boys will be boys" used by a lazy parent who thinks a boy doesn't need to have rules and to give a rude, bully of a little boy an excuse to be such!! i got rid of a so called friend who allowed her son to treat my daughter badly (ie kick, punch etc etc) and justified it with "boys will be boys". you never hear those words come out of the mouth a parent who teaches all their child good manners.

ok rant over

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Lord, you had to start the parental sayings!!

If….If a bullfrog had wings he wouldn’t bust his ass so much.

Hey……Hay is for horses.

Might……Mites grow on chickens.

Well…..That’s a deep subject for such a shallow mind.

Where is such-and-such….they went to sh*t and the hogs ate ‘em.

And here is one of my Dad’s that I never got……..Shitty Legs. If you were doing poorly in something, he’d say “Step it up shitty legs, you’re falling behind” or something along those lines. Not exactly sure what that one meant……

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
And here is one of my Dad’s that I never got……..Shitty Legs. If you were doing poorly in something, he’d say “Step it up shitty legs, you’re falling behind” or something along those lines. Not exactly sure what that one meant……
:lol:
I think I do.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

true story, lol.

The Statler Brothers must know omega boy :yum::yum::yum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16jZg1skLw8"]You Can't Have your Kate and Edith Too![/ame]

Lefty

Yank
Door Yard

I have no idea what they mean when they say this. Is it the front yard?, back yard, the parking space. (Maine Saying)

Getting directions in Maine always suck, because they always start with;

Do you remember where (insert place here) used to be?

First of all I might know what the hell they were taking about if they started with directions with things that are there NOW!!! WTF.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Door Yard

I have no idea what they mean when they say this. Is it the front yard?, back yard, the parking space. (Maine Saying)

Getting directions in Maine always suck, because they always start with;

Do you remember where (insert place here) used to be?

First of all I might know what the hell they were taking about if they started with directions with things that are there NOW!!! WTF.
:yum: people do that here also.

High Cheese

Saucier
Oh man, I HATE that one, Joe!!! Damn!

Got another one this morning: "It's all good". :angry:

Lee

6a00e55181b026883401156fb0e60a970c-320wi

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Where is such-and-such….they went to sh*t and the hogs ate ‘em.
OMG - my mom used to say this, too except she said "They went to take the garbage out and the hogs ate 'em". She said this to Fisher once when he was little about his brother, and Fisher burst into tears! He still gets an anxious look whenever anyone mentions hogs.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
"My computer did a funny thing" quickly followed by "would you please take a look at it?" Has ended more enjoyable evenings at friends houses than I can count. The rest of the evening is spent in front of a computer while the party goes on without you.

In the end analysis, nothing a computer does is funny.

bowlingshirt

"My computer did a funny thing" quickly followed by "would you please take a look at it?" Has ended more enjoyable evenings at friends houses than I can count. The rest of the evening is spent in front of a computer while the party goes on without you.

You should erase their hard drive and then tell them you can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have found that you can lose about anything off a computer but pix and itunes. If you loose them - Head for the hills.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

That bites, Andy! Must be worst than being a doctor from whom everyone wants free advice in a social setting.

Lee