Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Tutorials Forum

Tutorials Forum Net Cooking Talk Members offer up tutorials on what they are best at.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Dough Boy

JoeV will become famous soon enough
Default Tutorial: Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup milk (heated approximately 1 minute in microwave)
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (Initation vanilla is fine also)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature and beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
Cinnamon Filling (see recipe below)
Butter Frosting (see recipe below)

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so itís not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.

Butter two 9x13x2-inch baking pan (I use Pyrex baking/lasagna dish) and set aside. After dough has rested, roll and stretch the dough into approximately a 15x24-inch rectangle.

Brush the softened butter from the Cinnamon Filling (see below) over the top of the dough with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle Cinnamon Filling and chopped nuts over the butter on the prepared dough.

Starting with long edge, roll up dough; pinch seams to seal. NOTE: Rolling the log too tightly will result in cinnamon rolls whose centers pop up above the rest of them as they bake.

With a knife, lightly mark roll into 1 1/2-inch section. Use a sharp knife or slide a 12-inch piece of dental floss or heavy thread underneath. By bringing the ends of the floss up and criss-crossing them at the top of each mark, you can cut through the roll by pulling the strings in opposite directions. I like the dental floss.

Place cut side up in prepared pan, flattening them only slightly. The unbaked cinnamon rolls should not touch each other before rising and baking. Do not pack the unbaked cinnamon rolls together.

Refrigerating or Freezing Unbaked Cinnamon Rolls:

At this point, the cinnamon rolls can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight or frozen for 1 month. Before baking, allow rolls to thaw completely and rise in a warm place if frozen. Take the unbaked frozen cinnamon rolls out of the freezer 10 to 12 hours before planning to bake. Just put the frozen cinnamon rolls (container and rolls) on your counter (not in the refrigerator) overnight for 10 to 12 hours.

Baking:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. for regular oven or 325 degrees F. for a convection oven.
* Bake in a convection oven approximately 15 to 20 minutes until they are a light golden brown.
* Baked in a regular oven approximately 20 to 25 minutes in a regular oven until they are a light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Spread Butter Frosting over the cinnamon rolls while still warm. Serve warm.

CINNAMON FILLING:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon well; stir in chopped nuts (optional). NOTE: I like to sift the brown sugar and cinnamon together to remove any lumps.

BUTTER FROSTING:
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon lemon extract or oil (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon extract or oil until well mixed and creamy. Refrigerate frosting until ready to use and then bring to room temperature before spreading. I like to make the butter frosting in my mini food processor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeV For This Useful Post:
Guts (06-28-2015), Ironman (06-22-2015)
Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Entree Cook

Newnork1978 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tutorial: Cinnamon Rolls

I shouldn't browse this forum while I'm pregnant...Now I want cinnamon rolls (home-made, of course). Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to make some!
Ironman (03-18-2017)
Old 01-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Restaurant Chef

lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo

"DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so it’s not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes."

after the dough is kneaded and placed in the bowl it only rests/rises 10 before using?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbopeep View Post
"DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so itís not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl or in the bowl of a 5 quart stand mixer, combine all the dry ingredients except the Cinnamon Filling and the Butter Frosting. I like to stir the dry ingredients before adding the wet to get good dispersion throughout the mix. Add the wet ingredients, and using a dough hook, mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour so itís not too sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes."

after the dough is kneaded and placed in the bowl it only rests/rises 10 before using?
I actually let it rest for 20-30 minutes while I prepare the filling and frosting and clean up the mixer and put stuff away, but 10 minutes is all it takes.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Restaurant Chef

lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I actually let it rest for 20-30 minutes while I prepare the filling and frosting and clean up the mixer and put stuff away, but 10 minutes is all it takes.
thank you one more question after you cut them and place in the pan do you cover and let them rise before baking?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbopeep View Post
thank you one more question after you cut them and place in the pan do you cover and let them rise before baking?
Yes!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Yes!
cool!! thank you all i need is dental floss!!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Joyfully Retired

MexicoKaren is on a distinguished road

Oh, I love to make cinnamon rolls, Joe. During the "high" season here, I supply cinnamon rolls to a friend's coffee shop, so make several batches a week. No tourists here now, so I haven't made any for awhile. Think I'd better make some soon, or I'll lose my touch. That's exactly the recipe I use, BTW. They look scrumptious.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Short Order Cook

abi_csi is on a distinguished road

Wow these look truly lovely. Will be making these very soon.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Bottle Washer

ILovePie&DeadHorse is on a distinguished road

Joe,I have made Cinnamon Rolls before and they didn't come out as neat as yours did. The tip with the dental floss/string is great as I would never have thought to use that. Thank you so much for this tutorial,Im going to have to try making these again.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Grill Master

Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,165 Posts
QSis will become famous soon enough

Hoo-boy!

Joe, I didn't see this thread the first time around! Glad it got bumped up!

Those famous rolls of yours look spectacular!

Lee
Old 06-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Short Order Cook

Ironman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Tutorial: Cinnamon Rolls

Thank you for sharing this, Joe.

I made them just like you posted and they kicked ass. KICKED ASS!

Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Pizza Chef

Guts is on a distinguished road

I have used Joe's recipe for sticky buns and they are fantastic I have no doubt that this is a great formula too. Thanks for sharing Joe

The only thing that I have done is the addition of xanthan gum in the filling.

I am currently unsupervised I know it freaks me out to. But the possibilities are endless!

Last edited by Guts; 06-28-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Tags
joev's cinnamon rolls