🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Mocha Brownies

• 4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
  • 2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1.5 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • 2 tsp Instant coffee powder - or to taste
(Glossy mocha frosting recipe below)
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease and dust with cocoa powder instead of flour so you don't have white sides or spray with Baker's Joy vegetable oil & flour cooking spray I used the spray); 13x9x2 pan.
  3. Heat chocolate and shortening in large microwave safe glass bowl, microwave on high 1 minute at a time, stirring it after each minute, just till melted (be sure not to over heat* ).
  4. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla.
  5. Mix in remaining ingredients.
  6. Spread in pan.
  7. Bake until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. About 30 minutes (or to 180°F DO NOT over bake), cool slightly (about 5 minutes); spread with frosting (recipe below).
  8. Cool completely in pan; cut into bars.
Glossy mocha frosting:
  • 3 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
  • 3 TBSP butter flavored Shortening
  • 2 c. powdered (confectioners superfine) sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
  • 2 tsp Instant coffee powder - or to taste
  1. Heat chocolate and shortening in large microwave safe glass bowl, microwave on high 1 minute at a time, stirring it after each minute, just till melted (be sure not to over heat*).
  2. Stir in powdered sugar, instant coffee powder, salt, milk and vanilla; beat with hand mixer until smooth.
  3. Place bowl of frosting in larger bowl of ice and water; continue beating until smooth and of spreading consistency.
  4. Stir in nuts or sprinkle on top.
*Note: Be sure not to over heat or it will scorch and taste bitter. Or the oils will separate and break the chocolate.

022514_mocha_brownie_cut.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep,

Those look absolutely WONDERFUL!!!

Mocha is one of my very favorite flavors, so next time I make a batch of brownies, I'll be making THOSE!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep,

Those look absolutely WONDERFUL!!!

Mocha is one of my very favorite flavors, so next time I make a batch of brownies, I'll be making THOSE!

Lee
Thank you Lee. They needed a bit more coffee flavor. I never really measure but did this time. My family don't like it as "mochary" (I made up a word!! LOL) as I do so I went easy this time. If you like mocha added more - just add and taste tell it is to your likeing. I'd say double stated amounts.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I used pecans this time. Didn't measure, just add to your taste or omit.