Toscakaka (Swedisch Caramel Almond Cake)

Saliha

Toscakaka-Featured-300x300.jpg

Serves: 8

Ingredients

For the cake:

• 75g (or ⅓ cup) unsalted butter
  • 3 large eggs
  • 150g (or ¾ cup) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 150g (or 1 cup + 3 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 75ml (a scant or 5 tablespoons) buttermilk*
  • * substitute with 70ml (or 4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) milk mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar
For the topping:

• 150g (or 1 cup + 3 tablespoons) flaked almonds
  • 125g (or ½ cup + 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
  • 125g (or ½ cup + 3 teaspoons, packed) light brown sugar
  • 50ml (or 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon) milk
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon espresso powder or instant-coffee powder

Instructions

1. Start by preheating your oven to 160°C or 320°F (standard oven setting). Line a cookie sheet with baking parchment and scatter on the almonds in an even layer. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until light golden brown. I toasted the almonds in two batches to ensure even baking. In the meantime, melt the butter for the cake batter in a small saucepan. Transfer to a heatproof bowl to cool to room temperature. Once the almonds are toasted, leave to cool on a plate and line a 23-cm (9-inch) springform pan with baking parchment.
  2. Proceed with the cake batter. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until light, thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes on high speed. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold half the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Carefully fold in the buttermilk and the remaining flour, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as you go. Finally, drizzle in the melted but cool butter and fold in. Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and tap the pan on the counter once to get rid of big air bubbles. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  3. Once the cake has come out of the oven, start making the topping. Turn the oven up to 200°C (390°F). In a small saucepan, combine the milk, salt and coffee powder. Heat gently, stirring to dissolve the salt and the coffee powder, then add the butter and sugar. Stir as the butter melts, then crank up the heat and leave to bubble and cook for a few minutes, until it thickens slightly. Add the almonds and stir to combine. Pour the topping on top of the cake, spreading it into an even layer with a spoon. Place in the oven for another 8-10 minutes, or until the topping has turned a rich dark brown. Place on a wire rack to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the tin to loosen the cake and remove the springform collar. Serve at room temperature.

http://thetoughcookie.com/2013/11/22/toscakaka/

Ian M.

Saliha - that really looks delicious! I so enjoy a cake that isn't all slathered up with icing which, to me, makes it entirely too sweet and sort of cloying. This one sounds fresh and super good. I'll have to have my wife make this for our son and me some Sunday when I'm, hopefully, at home and not at work, making the world safe for hungry people............

Thanks for posting this.