410 Bank Street, Cape May, N.J.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
410 Bank Street

Been to a wedding (last Friday) at Cape May...........stretched it from Thursday to Sunday............. first time there, probably the only........
That Hotel was 160 years old, and showed it..............loudest air conditioners I've ever experienced in my life.........
but the Wedding was there, and the reception, so it was convenient, if not much else
CapeMaywedding-20110013.jpg

It was SOOOO good to get home in my own bed, with my own pillows (I think THEIRS might have been close to that old as well......)

If you find yourself there, you MUST dine at 410 Bank Street (that's the address, AND the name of the establishment).
They are billed as "Casual Elegant"........
The kitchen is ruled by internationally acclaimed Chef Henry Sing Cheng,
whose original creations include local-caught tuna, swordfish and mahi-mahi in fabulous sauces, elaborate entrees of local shellfish & lobster, and the justly famous smoked, grilled and blackened steaks and prime rib. Beyond the menu, a dozen or more seafood specials are offered nightly.

They are high end for the area, dealing in New Orleans / Caribbean dishes.
They have been on the "Top Ten" list for New Jersey since the Stoned Age.....
Warden and I shared an Escargot Appetizer, in a heavy garlic, peppercorn gravy (Dipping the bread was YUM!) She was a little disappointed that the little critters were already out of their shells; she's a miner for escargot, but I think the Health factor caught up with the preparation...

Warden had a Macadamia / Crab-meat encrusted Mahi Mahi drizzled with a vanilla sauce--- too sweet for me.........
I had Mako Shark Medallions, panko-ed and served with a sweet / sour dipping conglomeration..... reminded me of the sauce you get with coconut shrimp, or Alligator tails--- too sweet for me, so I asked for Tabasco, and persevered from there.
My Entree' was a lobster, shrimp and scallop Gumbo......... Oh, My !
As you can imagine, I almost ran them out of rolls, the rue was soooo perfect ! Heat level, texture of the seafood, every detail was on the money.

Warden and I shared a nice Bread Pudding w/ Bourbon sauce....... at least as good as mine, lol. (maybe one or two eggs more than I use )
We carried in a nice, crisp Riesling (BYOB) that I've never had before...... it complimented the sea fare very nicely.
Bad News....... I've NEVER spent that much $$$ in one sitting.........
Good News..... I'm happy I did it !

You can see a PARTIAL menu here...........
http://www.410bankstreet.com/410bankmenu.html

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou and I have been to 410 several times. It's one of my favourite restaurants in Cape May. I'm particularly fond of the mahi mahi with vanilla sauce you mentioned. Positively wonderful.
So sorry you didn't enjoy Cape May. It's one of my favourite places in the world. I'd love to have a B&B there.

Carolina Cooking

LOVE LOVE LOVE Cape May.. when I lived In MD I went all the time. Even went one christmas.It was wondeful there then.

I don't have fav place to eat, I just enjoyed the whole place so much. I spent 3 weeks every summer at Stone Harbor NJ. Cape May, didn't go there for the beach lol.

:agree:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Well, VB ...
If I'd stayed in one of those beautiful B&B's, I'm sure I would have had a better time !

Did you ever do that "Ugly Mug" Bistro ?
Excellent Crab Cakes, but Nineteen dollars for a double Cuervo, rocks............ Hmmmm..
Luckily the server was kind enough to ask if I still wanted it at that price........ I had iced tea..........

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great report, Lucky!

That sure LOOKS like a lovely hotel from the outside!

Thanks for the post!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Great report, Lucky!

That sure LOOKS like a lovely hotel from the outside!

Thanks for the post!

Lee
Yes.. from the outside.................
Fairly said, the first floor was beautiful; the restaurant was immaculate (they supplied a free breakfast, with all the usual choices, and more)
The reception dinner was great (I had Grouper for the first time)

But when you climbed the stairs (the elevator required a ring to bring an operator) was installed during roosevelt's last term I'm thinking...........
and it was 40" x 40" - no exaggeration !
Son and wife, and me and the warden, booked a two-bedroom suite on the fourth floor......no phone, no fridge, bathroom was available from both bedrooms, but no locks on the doors............We worked out a "lights on, Lights off" signal..............
Floors were so uneven that I almost fell down getting into the bathroom for my nightly 2:30 AM visit..............
SO uneven, in fact, that the head of our bed was supported by a 4x4, to make the bed level............
Threadbare carpets everywhere, worst on the stairs...........

It's my understanding that the rates are half of what the local B&B's get..........but it really shows................

Great photo, Lucky. Looks like a pic postcard. Sounds like you guys had a great time and dinner, for the most part. I like the quaint historical landmark hotels, but not so much when they are not upgraded. Example, we went to Yosemite & the roads were closed. We stayed at the wiwona over night. Very quaint & romantic, but no phones, tv, radio & bathrooms down the way. We could only buy packaged sandwiches until the dinner seating. Speaking of pillows, you reminded me of an Oprah-&-Gail-go-on-vacation episode. They stopped & bought new pillows before arrival at their destination. (Not a bad idea w/ all the bedbug scare.) Re the price of a drink... stopped at a newly-renovated local restaurant (that's been around for about 30 years), & the price of a Margarita was about $18. Nothing like coming back home to your own bed. Thanks for sharing, Lucky.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Lou and I have been to 410 several times. It's one of my favourite restaurants in Cape May. I'm particularly fond of the mahi mahi with vanilla sauce you mentioned. Positively wonderful.
So sorry you didn't enjoy Cape May. It's one of my favourite places in the world. I'd love to have a B&B there.

Well, Vera........ you will be happy to know that we've been back every June since this 2011 post, and it's the favorite beach town of my younger Son...

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
One of the best restaurants in New Jersey !

Younger Son and DIL are in Cape May this week, and when any of the family are there, 410 Bank Street is a must.

Received these beautiful pics from their meal last evening......

Mahi-Mahi in a Macadamia Nut-Crust served with Vanilla Island Rum Sauce and Polynesian Rice

Wild Game Plate - Boar Chops, Antelope Tenderloin and Smoked Pheasant Salad