Pearl Onions...........where'd they go ??

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I am stymied !
I use the frozen pearl onions pretty often, but lately, NONE of my supermarkets carry them any more..............whuzzup ?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Come to think of it, I haven't seen them in the stores lately either :confused:
I love creamed peas with pearl onions.

Norm

I didn't realize they came frozen. I always got them fresh. It is a pain to boil and peel them, now that I find out you can get them frozen, they are missing? Oh drat!

Carolina Cooking

I didn't realize they came frozen. I always got them fresh. It is a pain to boil and peel them, now that I find out you can get them frozen, they are missing? Oh drat!

:yum: It may just be in certain stores. I am going to look for them . If you can't find them & I do i'll send some to you :yum::laugh:

They seem to come & go in waves in the stores around here, so when the stores do have them in stock, I buy a couple of bags to keep in the freezer. I've found them much more available during the winter holidays.

Improv Cook

I had the same problem.I finally found frozen pearl onions at Trader Joe's.
They're great in soups and stews but if all you can find is fresh, it's a pain in the neck to peel all those little onions

QuirkyCookery

Now that you mention it....

Yeah, they have sorta gone missing. I just figured my store phased them out like they've done with some other things lately, but you've sparked my curiosity. I'll have to see if I can find them elsewhere.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
They seem to come & go in waves in the stores around here, so when the stores do have them in stock, I buy a couple of bags to keep in the freezer. I've found them much more available during the winter holidays.
Breezy,perhaps it's because they sell more during the holidays for particular dishes?
Yes, now that I think about it, you do see them more in stores around that time.

Birds Eye was always the brand I saw at the store.
Now I am going to have to do some searching.
I love using them in beef stew and vegetable soup.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
They tend to be seasonal, even in the frozen aisle. I wonder if you ask customer service if they don't have some in 'the back'.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
EUREKA !

Got mail from Birdseye ; turns out the only chain in my area still carrying them is Shop-Rite, a store I never frequent.............

Guess I'll be in there later today......RATZ ! just went by there this morning !
LT

Dear Mr. Trimmer:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding Birds Eye Small Whole Onions. I apologize that you have had difficulty locating this item.

Based on the information you provided in your email, I was able to research your inquiry and am pleased to inform you that the following retailers in your area have scanned this item in the past four weeks.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate your loyalty to our products.

Sincerely,

Patty Conrad
Consumer Relations Representative

ShopRite
2200 Bristol Rd
Bensalem PA 19020
(215) 7575491

ShopRite
400 John F Kennedy Way
Willingboro NJ 08046-2121
(609) 8713131

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've not seen a pearl onion in about a year here, and never found any of the very small yellow potatoes. The potato and pearl onions are great mixed with lots of butter as a side dish.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Joe ....
Go to birdseye.com
at the bottom there's a "contact us"..........

Give them your address and zip, and they'll e-mail you a list of stores in your area that have scanned the product in the last thirty days.........

lol great minds think alike. :clap: I picked up some last week. Liked them so much I just now bought another bag. Publix..

And they last very well in the freezer (well, at least in my freezer). I used some last week that had been in the freezer from last year, & they were perfect. I did cook up a couple first to make sure they didn't have any "freezer burn" taste, but no, they were perfect. So feel free to buy up now if you use them a lot.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
.just returned from the trip to Shop-Rite .........

Bought every bag in the freezer........... I'm set !

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I LOVE frozen pearl onions with or without peas. But my one girl hates them. LOL

TIP: Boil pearl onions IN/WITH the skins on (just cut the root end off). After cooking drain and cool enough for you to handle them then grab the top pointy end (flower end) and squeeze. The onion shoots right out. BE CAREFUL those little suckers are slippery!! LOL

BTW I mostly shop at Shop-Rite and can usually find the frozen Birdeye.

I think the bottled ones are very strong flavored and gassy (JMHO).

.just returned from the trip to Shop-Rite .........

Bought every bag in the freezer........... I'm set !

Way to go, Lucky!

Didn't know there were frozen out there. I had the toughest time finding frozen stew vegetables. Found them in July or August & saved them for a "rainy day." Added them to my garlic-studded roast in the CP, along w/ fresh veggies. It has new potatoes, celery, carrots & pearl onions - all peeled, sliced, and ready to go. Great when you're in a pinch - and used to cost about 50 cents, lol.

Years ago, Birdseye had a spaetzle and green bean dish I loved. Don't know if it's available anymore.

You reminded me, I'd like to look for New York Bold in the next few months (for Thanksgiving). Don't know if the stores carry them on the left Coast.

Whatcha got planned, Lucky?

Meanwhile, here's a NY Bold Creamy Baked Onion recipe I grabbed, if I ever run into them:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ny-bold-baked.html

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've noticed, with dismay, frequent "no got" on a number of frozen veggie stuff -

the pearl onions (they usually do have the jarred stuff tho)
okra (shooting the poster is disallowed)
diced green pepper
baby limas
whole leaf spinach

we have two complete long aisles of frozen food cases - and four cases are used for the frozen veggie stuff. the rest are prepared meals/sides/dishes - well, ice cream....

I swear you can buy prepared frozen leftovers.

cookingirl

Bought a frozen bag of pearl onions at Trader Joes last month! have to keep some in supply--love them in beef stew! along with some of the reg kind which I brown...
Yup, they seem to be seasonal...there was one store, Shaws, which they closed the local one, which used to carry them year round. Stop & Shop, sometimes carries them...don't get me started on that store!!!!......seem to have lost my font!! oh no!!!
:bounce::bounce:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Whatcha got planned, Lucky?

Nuthin'..........

When I have them tho' they seem to find their way into lots of stuff......
When I don't have them, they are sorely missed!