ALT codes

Guts

Here are some ALT codes that I find useful. I'm not sure if they work on Mac PCs . I would like to find the ALT codes for the other number fractions if anyone has them. I can't seem to find them anywhere. maybe I should have posted this under computers moderators please feel free to move it there. If you think that would be more appropriate, sorry

ALT Code

ALT + 0174 is ®
ALT + 0153 is ™
ALT + 248 is ° or ALT + 0176 is ° "degree sign"
ALT + 172 is ¼
ALT + 171 is ½
ALT + 0190 is ¾
ALT + 0177 is ±
ALT + 0247 is ÷
ALT + 0215 is ×
ALT + 251 is √

K

Kimchee

Look in your windows menu under accessories > character map.
That is the motherload of alt codes. :)
Dunno if there are other fraction ones though.

Guts

Adillo so what is the code for (¢) if you don't mind telling me. I looked around and didn't see that particular one but there are so many of them. Also I was looking for fractions and only found the basics. There must be others for one third 7/8 and so on. I just have been lucky enough to find them yet.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Θ Ю Ѭ ك ᵺ ₱ ☻ ♣ ♀ ♥

How cool is that? I've never seen this before....

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Adillo so what is the code for (¢) if you don't mind telling me. I looked around and didn't see that particular one but there are so many of them. Also I was looking for fractions and only found the basics. There must be others for one third 7/8 and so on. I just have been lucky enough to find them yet.

Yee haaaaa!

¢ £ ¤ ¥

FooD

What is the trick to doing this? I hold down the Alt key and type in these codes and nothing happens. I'm running a PC.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The symbol I used is the cents sign. IE: instead if typing $.65 you could type 65 and the cents sign. I am on my handheld now and don't have an alt key.

I held the alt key and typed the numbers on the numeric keypad. You could have a different keyboard layout.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
43¢ Kewl. I had not used these before. Strange that doing 43ALT0162 on the numbers along the top does nothing I just see the 43 but if I do the 43 (from any part of the keyboard) and then ALT0162 on the side keypad I get the cents sign. I always thought 1 on the keypad equaled 1 on the numbers that go across the top. :confused:

FooD

I just realized for the first time that laptop keyboards come with an aux numeric keypad on the right side, sharing keys with letters. Using the row of numbers at the top of the keyboard does not work.

75°
32°
98°

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
here's the ascii table:
http://www.asciitable.com/

keep in mind, not every person on the planet is using the same character map (aka MS speak for IBM code page), so things can show up funny on different machines.

ref laptops, not so much the laptop but the flavor of Windows.

some require ALT+nnnn (where the first n is a 0) others will settle for ALT+nnn

as you note, the number key row and the imbedded nbr keys / keypad buttons are different.

Guts

cool ALT + 0162 = ¢ thanks, that's one of the ones I was looking for. The degree ° sign is one I use lot, along with the ± and also the fractions. when writing recipes I would like to find the one third sign , and other fractions may they don't have, but only the basic fractions.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Each key is a different code. There is even a way to creat your own keymap and you could create those elusive fractions if you wanted to put a bunch of work into it.

Guts

Each key is a different code. There is even a way to creat your own keymap and you could create those elusive fractions if you wanted to put a bunch of work into it.

LOL I don't think I'm smart enough to create my own key map I was just hoping that somebody might know if these other fractions can be done using the ALT codes that already exist. I've looked and looked and haven't found any. But no harm in asking . I already learned the all code for cents ¢ so I learned one thing today. LOL.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I now have something new to impress girls with. Good thread.
I agree, good thread. Thanks guys. :tiphat: :thumb:
I'm going to share this with my buds on forums forums.
I will give you credit Guts for starting the thread and I'll link back to this thread. :beer: