How do you cook a sirloin end pork roast?

High Cheese

Saucier
The roast looks more like a shoulder with lots of different muscles and a small loin section near the middle. There's a small bone and what looks like where the back bone was. Decent fat cap too. Not sure if I should approach it like a shoulder or more like a loin roast.

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks for the links. I don't think you can pull this cut though. I'm just going to treat it like a loin roast and cook it around 325 or so.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Thanks for the links. I don't think you can pull this cut though. I'm just going to treat it like a loin roast and cook it around 325 or so.

a sirloin roast is a roast cut from the sirloin end of the loin, which is the end closest to the hind leg. It is a fairly lean roast but contains part of the backbone and hipbone, which makes it harder to carve. Economically priced.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--304/pork-roasts.asp

you can roast it but it is so lean that i probably would throw it into the crockpot or similar with lots of liquid.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm with Bam - I think I would braise it. Brown it really well, season with lots of garlic and onion, cover and roast at low temp for a few hours, at least.

Edited to add: oops, add some liquid, 1-2 cups. Maybe some broth?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Please tell us how it turned out, Cheese. With pictures, if possible.

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Well, the DW and I decided to go out for sushi, so I wrapped up the meat for tonights dinner.

I roasted it uncovered at 335 on a rack, fat side up. I had a thermometer in it and it got up to 165, so I thought I had a wad of shoe leather. I pulled it from the oven and wrapped it up. That's when we went out.

When we got home we sliced it into 1/2"+ chops and the pork was still pink near the bone. The DW said it was very tender and flavorful. so the reheat tonight should be fine.

If anyone was to try it, I would roast at 325 until it reached 155-160, on a pan or sheet to cook the bone side better.

My wet rub was minced garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs d' provance. I'll let you know how it tastes tonight.

High Cheese

Saucier
Opps, sorry Lee, no photo this time.

The pork was "ok". It had decent flavor and wasn't too overcooked near the edges. But it definately needs a little lower temps and more heat transfer to the bottom, bone side. Also, the fat cap, even though scored, was quite in tact. So I would hit it under a low broiler for a few minutes just before removing from the oven.

I went old school and topped it with some molasses. ;)