Substitution... dried figs for fresh?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have some dried figs, and my wife has been pestering me for a
pork loin and fig experiment. Found a recipe I want to try...
It calls for a cup of fresh figs, which are simmered in a sauce for
10 minutes.

Think I can sub dried figs?

http://homecooking.about.com/od/porkrecipes/r/blpork98.htm
If you need to simmer them in a liquid anyway I would use them. You may need to use a bit more liquid in the sauce to account for the dried figs using some to rehydrate. Dried figs will also be more flavorful. BUT thats just my opinion. Someone else may have a better answer for you.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Or you can simply rehydrate them by soaking in water then add it to the sauces. I would use the rehydration liquid also by the way.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i wouldn't. think of a sun-dried tomato, a prune, a dried apricot, etc- you won't, nomatter the reconstitution time, return them to a regular tomato, a normal piece of fruit; thier intensity is far beyond the fresh version.

if u sub them, i'd reduce the amount, as the cloying sweetness could overwhelm the dish if not, i'd think.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i wouldn't. think of a sun-dried tomato, a prune, a dried apricot, etc- you won't, nomatter the reconstitution time, return them to a regular tomato, a normal piece of fruit; thier intensity is far beyond the fresh version.

if u sub them, i'd reduce the amount, as the cloying sweetness could overwhelm the dish if not, i'd think.

Good point. It would be the same with say dried basil or oregano compared to fresh. Much more intense flavor with the dried. With herbs it is about 1/3 of the amount of dried compared to the full amount of fresh.

K

Kimchee

Thanks, all! I am gonna give it a whirl with less figs than the recipe calls for and see what happens.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm actually surprised a recipe calling for fresh figs would ask that they be soaked...I'd worry about damaging the flesh.

You'll have a choice between two types of dried figs...mission which are black, and .....naturally the word escapes my menopausal braing..but it starts with C and they are white figs. When eating fresh figs, I prefer the mission figs, but when cooking with dried figs, I like the white ones. They look nicer in the finished product.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm actually surprised a recipe calling for fresh figs would ask that they be soaked...I'd worry about damaging the flesh.

You'll have a choice between two types of dried figs...mission which are black, and .....naturally the word escapes my menopausal braing..but it starts with C and they are white figs. When eating fresh figs, I prefer the mission figs, but when cooking with dried figs, I like the white ones. They look nicer in the finished product.
Campania?

K

Kimchee

This turned out pretty darn tasty. Used half a cup of dried mission figs, chopped.
Also added half a pound of cremini mushrooms, which I added after the
onions had browned for a while. Simmered the pork loin in the sauce for
a while, and they were tender and juicy!