Freezing Canned Coconut Milk/Cream?

While I know that coconut milk & cream aren't dairy products, was wondering if you can freeze them? Frequently I only need a small amount for a recipe & then have the rest of the can to deal with.

Can I freeze this without it curdling or going grainy when it's thawed for a later use?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I froze canned coconut milk and cream of coconut....no adverse effects at all.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I freeze fresh coconut milk all the time. It tends to separate out a bit, but just shake it up!

QuirkyCookery

I've frozen coconut milk before and it was fine for cooking with. I don't drink it straight anyway, though, so I don't know if it has any issues that way. I would suggest freezing it in ice cube trays and then putting the cubes in a ziploc bag or freezer safe bowl. It makes it really easy to only take out the portion you need later on.

Carolina Cooking

I can't find coconut cream. Not coconut milk or cream of coconut.

its very low carb maybe 3 per can .Plus No sugar. Some asian or Indian grocerys carry it. of course not around here. If I wanted to bake really bad Or rmake pie I would order it. Thats a big if...For now its just a 'If' I find it.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
If you let coconut milk sit, it separates. The thick part on top is coconut cream. Sometimes when you buy it canned, it's already separated if it's been on the shelf a while.

I've frozen coconut milk before and it was fine for cooking with. I don't drink it straight anyway, though, so I don't know if it has any issues that way. I would suggest freezing it in ice cube trays and then putting the cubes in a ziploc bag or freezer safe bowl. It makes it really easy to only take out the portion you need later on.

I have only bought Taste of Thai canned coconut milk, but I have never frozen it. (I use it all in one recipe/dish). QC's method sounds feasible to me.

Oh, I do know that it separates naturally in the can, etc. I was just wondering if freezing makes it curdle or go grainy. Different thing entirely.

Am glad to hear that I can freeze it, since I'm usually cooking just for the two of us & thus frequently cut recipes in half (unless I purposely want leftovers). I hate tossing something because it's sat in the fridge turning into a science experiment due to my not having another timely use for it.