Convert Metric to English and Back Again

Guts

Got garlic that's a pretty good conversion calculator. Thanks for posting it. I convert a lot of my recipes to grams. I usually measure out my cups teaspoons as a recipe calls for and make notes what the amounts are in grams for the next time I make it. Is just so much simpler to use weight over cups, spoons measuring devices in my opinion. Not just in baking but another things too.

Gossie

Here's the dumb girl coming in and asking a dumb question. How do you measure in metrics, especially with the small stuff like adding teaspoons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
hardly a dumb question.

the answer is "practicality" and "need"

I'm another one that has largely converted to weighing ingredients - not only for the typical bread baking, but pancakes, rice, water, sugar, shortening, etc.

it's just easier, for me. and like Guts, I simply weigh them the first time around, make a note on the recipe card/paper/book, then make a note of any adjustments needed - ie increase/decrease - as I go along. after 2-3 trips it's pretty accurate, fast, very repeatable and reliable.

small qty stuff like teaspoons/tablespoons one can weigh - some folks have a separate highly accurate scale just for small quantities. frankly, I just wing it - pinch/fat pinch of salt, spoon of yeast, ground pepper - gosh don't think I've ever weighed or volume measured it - I just grind away until it looks right . . . (most seasoning are 'to taste' anyway . . .)

like yeast - a little more or a little less rarely makes a difference - a tenth of a gram (for example) is actually not significant. it may affect the rise time by a couple minutes - but you've probably noticed most bread recipes are "until doubled" and frankly judging "doubled" is very subjective and secondly the ambient/rising temperature plays a lot bigger role than variations in yeast quantity.

I have my exceptions - liquid flavorings / extracts - yup, I have measuring spoons and I use them.
a new recipe . . . this is not a good opportunity to "wing it" - I measure and follow the recipe. then I decide if I like it or if it needs more/less x,y,z.

I don't have a problem using grams of flour and half-teaspoons of vanilla extract, for example.

the "need" basis for accuracy has any number of variations, but one common issue is scaling up a recipe. winging the amount of salt / baking powder for a 3-4 people batch of biscuits is one thing. if you get tasked to make your famous buttermilk biscuits for a crowd of 100, those small winging it errors can produce a catastrophe when multiplied by 10's / 100's.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As an interesting aside, Google can be your friend here. Just type "convert 6 oz to grams" in the google search box and it does it.

Google will also work like a calculator a well type "25 * 30 =" in the search box and it does it.

Converting volumetric measure (cups or fluid ounces, etc.) can be difficult. Chowder's idea of measure and record then fine tune is pretty much right on. The reason is that a cup of water might weigh differently from a cup of olive oil, etc.

As I said, just an aside.

AllenOK

Years ago, I wrote a spreadsheet that will convert F to C, grams to oz (dry weight), and mL to tsp.

About all I use it for these days is the temp conversion, and that's for recording water temp in my fishing log; as my favorite fishing hole has a gauging station online, and gives temp in C.