I'm NAKED!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, got your attention huh?

It's late, and no one is here. But hey, I'll post anyway!

Ever make ghee? I did once. Thinking of doing it again cause it's fun. But what do you do with it besides sautes?

mhend

Ok, got your attention huh?

It's late, and no one is here. But hey, I'll post anyway!

Ever make ghee? I did once. Thinking of doing it again cause it's fun. But what do you do with it besides sautes?

:yum:

What is ghee?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The only time I've ever used it is to mop my meat entries at BBQ competitions, just before I hand the entries into the judges.

The ghee makes the meat look even more moist and delicious, without leaving any little tell-tale buttery specs. And adds to the flavor, of course!

Lee

Attachments

• Harpoon 2008 2nd place ribs.JPG
    Harpoon 2008 2nd place ribs.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Harpoon 2008 3rd place brisket.JPG
    Harpoon 2008 3rd place brisket.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I make clarified butter for dipping crab, lobster and shrimp into. I think it looks pretty in little individual glass bowls on the table. I've also used it along with equal parts of olive oil to pan sear steak. I think removing the solids gives it a higher smoke point.

GotGarlic

There's a Greek restaurant near us that serves it with the wonderful peasant-style bread they make.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I make clarified butter for dipping crab, lobster and shrimp into. I think it looks pretty in little individual glass bowls on the table. I've also used it along with equal parts of olive oil to pan sear steak. I think removing the solids gives it a higher smoke point.

Yummmmmmmmmm *slurps* :heart:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! I decided to go ahead and make some ghee tonight.

In Indian cooking, clarified butter is called ghee, in France, there are two types of clarified butter: Beurre noisette - hazelnut butter or brown butter. And then there is Beurre noir - black butter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beurre_noisette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beurre_noir

I was actually shooting for brown butter (ghee) on the first attempt, but overshot the mark and ended up with black butter. It’s very easy to spill over from brown to black, so you have to be vigilant and remove the pan from heat once the solids begin forming in the bottom of the pan.

Strain through a paper towel lined mesh strainer.

Now, I need to find recipes for my black butter! :yum:

step1-55.jpg

step2-49.jpg

step3-43.jpg

step4-32.jpg

step5-26.jpg