NCT's Iron Chef 19: Battle Onion

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin seems to be otherwise occupied, and Cooksie is geting anxious to get going, so I just ran the random number and it came up 35 - onions.

I don't know how to post the pic like Keltin does, but if everyone's OK with it, next challenge is Battle Onion!!!

"As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must use onion in some way.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching."

Now, let Battle Onion begin!

Last edited:

chowhound

No way. It's too late. Vidalias are out of season :sad:

:wink:

Actually this new onion I got at the fruit stand down the road is delicious. It's called a candy onion. The girl said some eat it like an apple. It's really sweet before the onion taste creeps in. I'd never heard of them before.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Just don't use that candy onion for french onion soup. I tried that once with vidalias and what a disaster!:puke1:

When you cook the onions long and slow for the soup, they get very sweet. Well, if you start with a sweet onion to begin with, you get onion dessert! It was awful. :oops:

I'll never make that mistake again - it's regular yellow onions for me when I make soup. :bonk:

chowhound

Thank you very much for that tip, SS. I love French onion soup and I know I'll make it someday. I won't forget this.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Battle ONION??
Welllllll I may just have to get involved with this one.
The possibilities are endless.. hehe

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
And I have been wanting to make French Onion Soup, so this is the perfect opportunity. Yummo! maybe I'll make some french bread to use in it as well, although I have a loaf of sourdough that I just made and put in the freezer on Sunday. Hmmmmm... and I also have a lot of Mozz in the fridge.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
And I have been wanting to make French Onion Soup, so this is the perfect opportunity. Yummo! maybe I'll make some french bread to use in it as well, although I have a loaf of sourdough that I just made and put in the freezer on Sunday. Hmmmmm... and I also have a lot of Mozz in the fridge.

That was my first thought too! I love it.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Heyy, I wonder how many French Onion Soup recipes we will have - the more the merrier I say.

buckytom

Grill Master
mmmm, baked buttered sweet onions. you peel a sweet onion, cut a divot into the stem end, and place it in a baking dish with a little water. bake until soft, then place a dollop of rosemary butter in the divot to melt in.

or, did anyone mentioned pearl onions in cream sauce?

or cippolines in red wine and beef gravy?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Cippolines in a rosemary & balsamic reduction served with pork tenderloin!

Or pork tenderloin with apples and onions.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
mmmm, baked buttered sweet onions. you peel a sweet onion, cut a divot into the stem end, and place it in a baking dish with a little water. bake until soft, then place a dollop of rosemary butter in the divot to melt in.

or, did anyone mentioned pearl onions in cream sauce?

or cippolines in red wine and beef gravy?

:idea:Hunters chicken with cipollini onions:idea: I love those little onions but hate peeling them.

chowhound

A divot with butter and beef bullion :thumb:

Pearl onions are for gimlets :biggrin:

Attachments

• onion.jpg
    onion.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 258

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Red onion omelette..
Braised onion sauce for pasta...
Cream of onion and radish soup..

Decisions, decisions...

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
BARB !!!!!!!!

Note to self buy barb opaque blinds to save her from having to look at drooling old man.

Really great! I too would like the recipe. I really love onion rings.

homecook

What Andy??? Is there a problem? :whistling:I don't mind the drool.........look all you want. :wink: Just don't scare me next time.

Thanks Fred!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Hmmm......

With all these ideas mentioned, it seems we only have 2 entries so far - and it's already Saturday!

I, for one, have to get on the stick and make something. Anyone else?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I really liked the look of this one but life has intervened and I am not going to be able to put anything in.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just got too busy this week to go out and get the ovenproof crocks to make the French Onion Soup. Onions went in a lot of stuff this past week, but I don't count that as an Iron Chef entry.

FryBoy

ROSEMARY ROAST CHICKEN WITH
ONION-GARLIC GRAVY

Chicken is roasted on a bed of onions and garlic. When the bird is cooked through and golden,
the vegetables are pureed with chicken stock to make a thick, rich gravy.

1 whole chicken (about 3½ pounds)
1½ tablespoons olive oil
4 medium onions, cut in large chunks (3 really large onions will do)
1 lemon, cut in quarters, seeds removed
2 fresh rosemary sprigs (about 6 inches each)
8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1½ cups chicken broth (unsalted canned is fine)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (yes, I mean 450).

Remove and discard the giblets, rinse the chicken, pat dry and remove excess fat from
around the tail area.

Rub the chicken inside and out with ½ tablespoon of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and
pepper inside and out.

Stuff the cavity with about ½ to 1 of the chopped onions, 2 wedges of lemon, a sprig of
rosemary, and 4 garlic cloves; close cavity with toothpicks to keep veggies inside.

Use a bit of the remaining olive oil to grease the bottom of a glass baking dish. Place the
remaining onions and garlic in the dish. Drizzle the remaining oil over the onions.

Place the bird breast down on the onion mixture; squeeze juice of another quarter of the
lemon over the chicken.

Roast for about 20 minutes per pound. Check the onion mixture; if it starts to blacken or
stick, add a bit of the chicken broth.

After 30 minutes, turn the chicken breast side up and add ¼ to ½ cup chicken broth to the
onion mixture. Return pan to the oven and roast until the meat in the thickest part of the
leg just loses its pinkness. Add a bit more of the chicken broth if onions start to dry out.

Remove the chicken to a platter.

Scrape the onion mixture into a medium sauce pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Add the leaves from the remaining rosemary (discard stem) to taste. Squeeze in the juice
of the remaining lemon quarter. Puree with a hand blender, adding remaining broth if the
gravy is too thick. Bring pureed mixture to a boil to meld flavors.

Cut the chicken in serving pieces and serve with the gravy.

(NOTE: if you don’t have a hand blender, which is also called a wand or immersion
blender, put onion mixture and other ingredients in a food processor or regular blender,
puree, then transfer to sauce pan.)