New twist on potato salad

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am not one to usually mess with success. I like my potato salad how I like it and that is that. Is it better than others? Not necessarily.

Anyway, I was grocery shopping yesterday and while browsing the salad section, I noticed that their potato salad looked similar to mine. Had a red thing and an orange thing that I do not use, otherwise similar. I did note that there were no eggs and I am a big fan of eggs in my potato salad.

Welllllll, right next to that was egg salad. I've done that before buy store potato salad mix in some egg salad and go for it. As I read the label, it said egg said with dill. Hmmmmm, never tried that before. Bought some of each mixed them together and it was very interesting.

Has anyone ever tried dill in their potato salad?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Haven't tried dill in tater salad, but at times, I've cut up some pimentos & put them in it before.

I think I'll try both the next time that I make some! :eating2:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
potato salad can be dressed up with a number 'non-traditionals' - actually 'traditional' is likely not a definable term, but....

things I do time-to-time to change up the flavor:
(most all are diced, btw)

green olives
green or red or orange sweet pepper
anchovy (singular, not plural, one filet finely finely diced)
horse radish - again, just a smidge
fresh raw garlic
scallion vs. onion
leek vs. onion
spritz of vinegar - many sorts - on the 'dry' potato prior to mixing
dry mustard
prepared mustard - I only use the 'brown' / deli styles tho
dill
mint
chives
celery seed
basil - fine minced fresh is nice

the key to the 'odd ball' ingredients is "not too much" - most of the flavors are strong enough they can be overpowering.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
DW saya that her family sometimes uses sweet pickle relish, but, then they are Canadian.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
sweet gherkins and / their relish is a traditional add-in methinks (g)

a German student staying with us was humonguously puzzled at our potato salad -
the/a/one German style is more "hot oil & vinegar" similar to a hot bacon dressing over spinach....
which is especially good in hot weather for a lighter touch.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My Aunt used to make some of the most delish German potato salad. Never got the recipe, wish I did.

It was served warm, it had some vinegar and definitely Bacon. As I think about it, is it possible for anything that has bacon in it to be bad?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm half Polish. We believe that FRESH dill in just about anything makes it better.

Good idea, Andy - go for it!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My current favorite is Cooksie's Mustard Potato Salad that was posted here. Now I've added a few things to it such as fresh dill, pimentos, olives, etc. I've always used a bit of dill in my egg salad and deviled eggs. Dill goes great with eggs but also many different dressings for salads. Dill is also easy to grow even in flower pots so I always have some fresh on hand.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
About as dilly as it gets in my potato salad is a little dill pickle. I bet it would be good though, must try.

JoeC - :biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dill is also easy to grow even in flower pots so I always have some fresh on hand.

Not easy for me, Joe!

I try a pot of it every year, and if I get one stalk that peters out mid-summer, I consider myself lucky!

Very frustrating!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think I'll make some tater salad tomorrow! Since I have a 5-lb bag of them in the fridge.

Just need a few more ingredients, which I'll get in the morning! :eating2:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not easy for me, Joe!

I try a pot of it every year, and if I get one stalk that peters out mid-summer, I consider myself lucky!

Very frustrating!

Lee

That might be true in Boston though I'm not sure. I know from Kentucky South to Florida it grows like a weed for me. Now if you let it flower it will quickly die. Trick here is to pick the flowers like basel and other herbs that do this as it keeps it growing. I do pick the flowers and save for seeds for next years crop but usually near the end of the season only.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Now if you let it flower it will quickly die. Trick here is to pick the flowers like basel and other herbs that do this as it keeps it growing. I do pick the flowers and save for seeds for next years crop but usually near the end of the season only.

Ah-HA!

See, now that may be most of my problem! I let it go to seed in the pot, so that it will re-seed and grow new plants. Nope.

I do have a packet of dill seeds that I may try if I have a pot left over after I plant the little pepper plants from the seeds that Leni sent me. They are just about ready to plant in larger pots now.

Lee