Baklava discussion and recipe.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, about how long did it take you to make Baklava?

I always thought it was way too lengthy and work-intensive process for me to try.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What will you do with your holiday leftovers?

Thanks, Andy!

You repeated the paragraphs that talk about layering the dough and spreading it with butter.

Let me get this straight: you layer and butter half the phyllo, then top that half with the nut mixture, then continue layering and buttering phyllo sheets on top of the nuts? Not on the bottom of a second pan, right?

We probably should move the baklava part of this thread to it's own.

Lee

Ian M.

Andy - Our landlord is a Greek gentleman who is a baker into the bargain.
I was looking at your Baklava recipe when he wandered in and was reading over my shoulder. Then he gave a huge sigh and stated emphatically, "Your friend, hesa Greek God!!" So there you go - approval from the top!
But the recipe looks simply delicious and it sounds like it's pretty easy to do if you have the patience. One of these days I'm going to give it a try.

Ian :bounce:

Incidently, Mr. Machieros says that diamond shape cut "isa de only way to cut for good Baklava!" He also told me that I mispronounce the word - he says the emphasis is on the last two letters - the va. Now I know, perhaps I'll be better able to make some, you suppose?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Lee

Sorry, lazy ole Andy. LOL

Phyllo, at least all that I have purchased, comes in two plastic sealed bags. Open and layer one bag, leave the other sealed in the fridge for now. Then the nut mixture gets spread. Then open and layer the second bag.

I cover the phyllo with a towel, uncover, take and place one sheet, I cover while I am buttering. Repeat. The dough can dry out and get brittle awfully easy.

Moving is a good idea. Would a new thread be better or tack it on the end of my previous baklava thread?

BTW - Sherman, I am sorry for t he thread hyjack. We will fix it.

Andy

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
So let me get this straight: layer and butter 1/2 lb. Phyllo dough (1 sealed package) in pan. Spread with ALL nuts mixture. Then repeat layer and butter steps. Then move on the diamond cuts?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Andy, about how long did it take you to make Baklava?

I always thought it was way too lengthy and work-intensive process for me to try.

Lee

You can get the filo dough already made and frozen in your local supermarket.

I've always wanted to do it myself, but it is wicked sweet! Not good because I'm a diabetic!! :eating2:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Attachments

• Baklava.png
    Baklava.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 173

chilefarmer

Andy, do you make a syrup or honey syrup to pour over after baking? Wife make a simple sugar syrup flavored with orange flower water. Tasty. CF

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
CF This is what I do:

Make the syrup.
The syrup should be cool to cold when applied to the Baklava. For this reason, I make it first.
Ingredients
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup honey
Cooks note – The type of honey used has a great bearing on the taste of the finished product. I used Goya orange blossom honey. I would have used raw honey, possibly clover honey. If I could get it. I avoid the store or commercial brands.
1 cup water
1Tbsp lemon juice
Cooks note – I squeezed my lemon juice fresh.
Technique
Put all of these ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil stirring to make sure everything blends. When it comes to a boil, transfer it to a back burner and keep it just boiling for 20 to 40 minutes. The goal here is to reduce the liquid as to end up with a syrup about the consistency of pancake syrup. Or maple syrup. When you feel that you are there, remove from the heat, put in a Pyrex measuring cup and put it in the fridge.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
They say cool to a bit warm. Baking melts the butter and separates the layers a bit. The idea is to have it viscous enough to flow into the layers.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, it has to be soaked thoroughly so that the sweet taste of the syrup & honey runs into and infuses all through it. :eating2:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Sherm - In that post, I am referring to Peeps spinach pies. I have tried more than once to make them and screwed it up every time.

Andy