ISO pumpkin ravioli (wontons) recipe

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've looked, but can't find a recipe I like for savory pumpkin raviolis made with wonton wrappers.

I know I want a browned butter and sage sauce with them, but I'm up in the air as to how to season my canned pumpkin filling.

Suggestions?

TIA!

Lee

Phiddlechik

I like them with sage and garlic, s&p. If you think that will be too much sage, just season with some pecorino, garlic, pepper.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've looked, but can't find a recipe I like for savory pumpkin raviolis made with wonton wrappers.

I know I want a browned butter and sage sauce with them, but I'm up in the air as to how to season my canned pumpkin filling.

Suggestions?

TIA!

Lee
OH MAN LEE!! I just found recipes for butternut squash tortellinis/raviolis with brown butter and sage sauce!! I bet pumpkin can be subbed for or added to the squash. PM me if you are interested.

OH MAN LEE!! I just found recipes for butternut squash tortellinis/raviolis with brown butter and sage sauce!! I bet pumpkin can be subbed for or added to the squash. PM me if you are interested.

Take a look here, Peep:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392&highlight=ravioli

QS, you can use pumpkin & squash almost interchangably.

Are you using canned or fresh pumpkin?

here are some ideas to mix and match, to your taste:

Mascarpone (already mentioned in my link to the squash ravioli/wontons)
cream cheese
orange juice
bourbon
cinnamon
nutmeg
nuts
crushed amaretti cookies
brown sugar

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
  • 1 medium butternut squash
  • 1/2 cup ground amaretto cookies
  • 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Take your cooked pumpkin, spread it on a baking sheet and roast it for about 15 minutes. It will deepen the flavour and also dry up any additional liquid.

To the pumpkin, add mascarpone cheese, caramelized shallots (pureed), fresh chopped parsley, grated cheese and S&P.

When you make your pasta (or use the wonton wrappers, if you want), use a bit of egg to help the pasta stay closed. Make your sauce, plate the ravioli and top with crushed italian amaretti cookies. Those cookies are sometimes hard to come by. In the event you cannot find them, you can substitute graham crackers or ginger snaps. The flavour is very very different, but you still get the sweet crunch that compliments this type of pasta so well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you, everyone - that's the kind of info I needed!

Lee

• 1 medium butternut squash
  • 1/2 cup ground amaretto cookies
  • 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I like it! Will tinker with it for some sweet potato ravioli/wontons -- maybe add some biscotti in place of the amaretto cookies. Thanks, Peep.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I like it! Will tinker with it for some sweet potato ravioli/wontons -- maybe add some biscotti in place of the amaretto cookies. Thanks, Peep.

Careful of the biscotti- unless you put them through a food processor, they are going to be too hard for the delicate ravioli. Amaretti is a very soft cookie than can be crumbled by hand. Biscotti, by it's very nature, is a twice baked dough, making it extremely firm. If you use it, you will need to grind it well. If the pieces are too large, they are going to rip the ravioli to shreds as you place one on the fork.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, the good news is that I made these, and froze them months ago. I thawed some out and heated them up in a browned butter- sage sauce and loved them.

The bad news is that I don't remember what I put in the filling.

I'm sure it was canned pumpkin. I think I just added some mascapone cheese, salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg. They were kind of bland.

But the browned butter-sage sauce was delicious!

With frozen peas and mint, which I just tried for the first time and liked it.

Seriously, if you have never fried fresh sage leaves in butter till crisp, you really should! Better than potato chips!

Lee

Attachments

• Pumpkin wonton raviolis and minted peas.JPG
    Pumpkin wonton raviolis and minted peas.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 265