Most Authentic Tortilla Soup

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
This delicious soup has two things going for it that make it taste just like the best tortilla soup served in restaurants here in Mexico: you actually incorporate some tortillas into the soup mixture, and you use some ancho chiles, which give the soup its beautiful color. It's a bit of a project, but it is so worth it. I sometimes add a teaspoon or so of sugar to counteract the acid in the chiles and the tomato - depends on how sweet your tomatoes are.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]TORTILLA SOUP[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3T corn oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 corn tortillas, chopped, fried in a little oil until lightly browned[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 cloves garlic, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 onion, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4C fresh tomatoes, pureed in blender or FP[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 T toasted cumin seed[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 bay leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 qts chicken stock or broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 chipotle chile en adobo[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 whole ancho chiles[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]salt to taste[/FONT]

• [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Heat corn oil in a large, wide pan on medium high heat[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add onion and garlic, cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add the crisp tortillas and continue cooking for five more minutes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add the fresh tomato puree and bring to a boil (this may splatter, so be careful)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add cumin, bay leaf and chicken stock, season with salt, chipotle chile and ancho chiles and let simmer for 30 minutes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]In a blender, or using a stick blender, puree the soup mixture. Re-season if necessary and strain through a medium strainer[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Pour into soup bowls and garnish with shredded meat from two cooked chicken breasts, 1 diced avocado, I cup of grated cheese (cheddar, jack, manchego, Oaxaca, whatever), 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips and lightly fried, ¼ cup chopped cilantro and 1 lime, cut into wedges.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Makes 6-8 servings, but the base soup freezes really well.[/FONT]

Attachments

• MARCH 20 2009 001.jpg
    MARCH 20 2009 001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited by a moderator:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Re: Most Autheentic Tortilla Soup

Mods? Could someone fix the typo ("ee") in the title of this thread? Thanks!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Done

The soup sounds delicious. The last time I had it was on a Mexico City layover more than twenty years ago and can barely remember the taste....

...wondering if I can find ancho chiles anywhere in this burg. The Florida Publix stores certainly will carry dried poblanos in the ethnic section, but Wisconsin, eh?

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Buzz! Gosh, I've never shopped in Wisconsin, but more and more stores everywhere are carrying Hispanic foods, I think. An ancho chile is a dried poblano.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Cooksie - the heat level is pretty low. More of an aftertaste. You can also add sour cream to the garnish and that provides a nice counterpoint to the little heat there is. I will add, however, that the heat level of anchos that I buy varies from almost none to moderate. It probably depends on how fresh they are.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You're welcome - most of the versions we ate had an assortment of other vegetables...onions, carrots, green beans, whatever is at hand, I imagine. The three things all versions had in common were chicken, chipotles and garbanzo beans.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks, Cooksie - the heat level is pretty low. More of an aftertaste. You can also add sour cream to the garnish and that provides a nice counterpoint to the little heat there is. I will add, however, that the heat level of anchos that I buy varies from almost none to moderate. It probably depends on how fresh they are.

Thanks - I can do low/mild heat

homecook

Karen, I'm sure I didn't do this justice but it turned out awesome!! Thank you so much for the recipe. The one thing I've got to say is the ancho chiles I bought were HOT. lol I probably could have done with one. All in all I've got some for the freezer and will be making this again!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 396

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful, Barb!!

The dishes were perfect for the presentation!

Lee