Crepes & Fillings

While shopping, in the produce dept (next to the strawberries & blueberries), I spotted some packaged crepes. NCTers - have any creative ideas for fillings (dessert and/or main dish)? Or, any TNT from scratch crepe recipes?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've seen those. I've wondered if they are any good.

Did you buy them? If you did, please let us know what you think.

I thought about it, & passed. Wanted to make something "French" for Bastille Day. I even had a copper crepe pan from W-S, but never attempted homemade crepes.

I did come across a crepe "bundle" recipe, but it's more of a dinner-party dish.

58052441.jpg

I'm thinking more along the line of a seafood (crab and/or shrimp) w/ a mornay sauce. (Reminded me of the old menus w/ bernaise or mornay over beef tournados).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
NCTers - have any creative ideas for fillings (dessert and/or main dish)? Or, any TNT from scratch crepe recipes?

I'd love to remember the exact recipe.
At school, in the Home Ec. class, Sister WhateverHerNameWas presented us goils with a recipe for Almond Cream Crepes.
We made them, and they were delicious.
Crepes filled with a cream containing almond extract, then sprinkled with powdered sugar and shaved chocolate.

The exact recipe may be floating around out there on the internets.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've used premade crepes in the past. They're not bad. They don't have lots of flavour, so you have to rely on the filling alone for that. Crepes are very easy to make; and you don't need a crepe pan. Just a griddle or large frying pan.

:thankyou:

Years ago, we went to a restaurant called The Magic Pan. They served crepes of all kinds - from entree crepes to dessert crepes. If I remember correctly, we watched the chef dip a pan into the crepe batter, & you could watch them being made. Sadly, they're not around any more. I did find a crepe stand called the Magic Pan, & some of the menu rings a bell.

http://www.leye.com/files/restaurants/Magic Pan MN.pdf

http://www.allmenus.com/il/northfield/11998-the-magic-pan-crepe-stand/menu/

I may give the ready made a try w/ nutella & strawberries (& maybe whipped cream) to start with; and see if they're worthwhile. The almond cream sounds interesting, but a little too sweet for me. Apppreciate the suggestions.