Savory Scotch Meat Loaves

Domestic Goddess

I love these scotch meat loaves with the ketchup glaze on top. You can make these meat loaves with either ground beef or with ground pork sausage. My husband and I especially enjoy them made with "seasoned" ground pork sausage, which already has salt, ground black pepper, minced garlic, and ground sage added to it.

Savory%2BScotch%2BMeat%2BLoaves%2B102.JPG

1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs (See *Note)
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 lb. ground beef, or ground pork (See *Note)
5 medium size hard boiled eggs, peeled (See *Note)

Sauce:
3/4 cup ketchup
3 Tablespoons water
1-1/2 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dried, crushed, oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon dried, crushed, oregano leaves

In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten egg, bread crumbs, diced onion, diced green pepper, plus the salt and pepper.

Add the ground beef or ground pork; mix well.

Shape equal portions of the meat mixture around each hard boiled egg; completely enclosing the egg.

Arrange the meat loaves in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. (If I'm using 90% lean ground beef, I'll lightly grease the baking dish before adding the meat loaves.)

Bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes.

While the meat loaves are baking in the oven, prepare the sauce.

In a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients.

Once the meat loaves have baked for 30 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven, and discard any excess fat.

Pour the sauce over the meat loaves, and return the baking dish to the oven.

Continue baking the meat loaves in the oven for 15 minutes.

Once the meat loaves are done baking, remove from baking dish and serve immediately.

Yields: 5 servings

*Note: Sometimes when I'm mixing up the meat loaves, I'll substitute 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of plain dried bread crumbs for the soft bread crumbs. I have also made the meat loaves using either 85% or 87% ground beef. Also, if desired, you can opt to make 4 meat loaves, by just using 4 large size hard boiled eggs, and shaping a 1/4 of the meat mixture around each hard boiled egg. Arrange the meat loaves in an 8 or 9-inch baking pan, and bake as stated in cooking instructions. Also, I did want to mention, when it comes to preparing the medium hard boiled eggs, I let the eggs come to a boil in a saucepan of water, I then remove the pan from the heat, cover the pan, and let the eggs sit for 9 minutes. Afterwards, I place the eggs in cold water (which I also added ice cubes to it), and let the eggs sit for 15 minutes. I then remove the eggs, peel them, rinse them under cold water, and pat them dry with paper toweling before I proceed to make the meatloaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Domestic Goddess

Hey there Embryodad,

I hope you view this recipe, it's the one I promised you I'd post.

I tried sending you a private message, to inform you I had finally posted the recipe for Savory Scotch Meat Loaves, but the message wouldn't go through. At least I don't think it did.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Domestic Goddess!

So, if using bulk sausage, these are quite similar to Scotch Eggs, only they are baked with tomato sauce instead of fried with bread crumbs, right?

LOVE the concept!

Thank you!

Lee

Embryodad

I love these scotch meat loaves with the ketchup glaze on top. You can make these meat loaves with either ground beef or with ground pork sausage. My husband and I especially enjoy them made with "seasoned" ground pork sausage, which already has salt, ground black pepper, minced garlic, and ground sage added to it.

Savory%2BScotch%2BMeat%2BLoaves%2B102.JPG

1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs (See *Note)
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup died green pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 lb. ground beef, or ground pork (See *Note)
5 medium size hard boiled eggs, peeled (See *Note)

Sauce:
3/4 cup ketchup
3 Tablespoons water
1-1/2 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dried, crushed, oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon dried, crushed, oregano leaves

In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten egg, bread crumbs, diced onion, diced green pepper, plus the salt and pepper.

Add the ground beef or ground pork; mix well.

Shape equal portions of the meat mixture around each hard boiled egg; completely enclosing the egg.

Arrange the meat loaves in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. (If I'm using 90% lean ground beef, I'll lightly grease the baking dish before adding the meat loaves.)

Bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes.

While the meat loaves are baking in the oven, prepare the sauce.

In a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients.

Once the meat loaves have baked for 30 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven, and discard any excess fat.

Pour the sauce over the meat loaves, and return the baking dish to the oven.

Continue baking the meat loaves in the oven for 15 minutes.

Once the meat loaves are done baking, remove from baking dish and serve immediately.

Yields: 5 servings

*Note: Sometimes when I'm mixing up the meat loaves, I'll substitute 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of plain dried bread crumbs for the soft bread crumbs. I have also made the meat loaves using either 85% or 87% ground beef. Also, if desired, you can opt to make 4 meat loaves, by just using 4 large size hard boiled eggs, and shaping a 1/4 of the meat mixture around each hard boiled egg. Arrange the meat loaves in an 8 or 9-inch baking pan, and bake as stated in cooking instructions. Also, I did want to mention, when it comes to preparing the medium hard boiled eggs, I let the eggs come to a boil in a saucepan of water, I then remove the pan from the heat, cover the pan, and let the eggs sit for 9 minutes. Afterwards, I place the eggs in cold water (which I also added ice cubes to it), and let the eggs sit for 15 minutes. I then remove the eggs, peel them, rinse them under cold water, and pat them dry with paper toweling before I proceed to make the meatloaves.
Oh Boy. I could love these.
BTW ... the recipe composition and hints * notes and etc. Are so helpful!

My wife Tina, is a meatloaf lover!

Great Job... thanks!

Jimmy

Domestic Goddess

Hi Domestic Goddess!

So, if using bulk sausage, these are quite similar to Scotch Eggs, only they are baked with tomato sauce instead of fried with bread crumbs, right?

LOVE the concept!

Thank you!

Lee

Lee, I've never had fried Scotch Eggs, so I can't compare them to these.
And yes, these Savory Scotch Meat Loaves are meant to baked in the oven (not fried).

Domestic Goddess

My wife Tina, is a meatloaf lover!

Great Job... thanks!

Jimmy

Jimmy, you're most welcome! I was glad to post the recipe.

Also Jimmy... like your wife, I too 'am a meatloaf lover as well.

I have several favorites, but the last meat loaf I made, was a new recipe which I created, and both my husband and I loved it. I'll be posting the recipe (pictures included). Hope you will check out the recipe to see if you might want to give it a try.

Domestic Goddess

I wish this forum had an edit button, as one of the ingredients in the meat loaves should read... 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers (not 1/4 cup died green pepper). Sorry about the error!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wish this forum had an edit button, as one of the ingredients in the meat loaves should read... 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers (not 1/4 cup died green pepper). Sorry about the error!

I corrected it for you, DG.

I'm so glad you bumped it up! I've been looking for something different to use up my Easter-colored hb eggs!

Think I'll try it with ground turkey.

Lee

Embryodad

Guess what's for supper tomorrow??

Yup! ... After reading this to Tina, she jumped up, ( not far ) and said,"Oooo! That's what I want for tomorrow!"....

Domestic Goddess

I corrected it for you, DG.

I'm so glad you bumped it up! I've been looking for something different to use up my Easter-colored hb eggs!

Think I'll try it with ground turkey.

Lee

Thank you Lee for making the correction. I do appreciate it!

Lee, If you already made the recipe using ground turkey, let me know how it turned out, as I was wondering if using ground turkey was a bit too dry for this recipe, and the meat mixture may not hold together well enough around the eggs after they were baked.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made these last night with ground turkey and they were wonderful! Otherwise, I made the recipe as written by Domestic Goddess. Oh, I did add a bit of fat free shredded mozzarella on top, and I made 6 meatloaves (had a bunch of HB eggs left over from Easter).

When I make these again (and I WILL), I'll just use some marinara sauce on top.

Served with a side of spinach and barley.

Ground turkey needs extra flavor added, so I used the below recipe to flavor it like Italian sausage:

Italian Sausage-Flavored Ground Turkey

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon dried fennel seeds

Thanks, DG - these were fun, easy and a terrific way to use up Easter eggs! :a1:

Lee

Attachments

• Meat loaves 1.JPG
    Meat loaves 1.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Meat loaves 2.JPG
    Meat loaves 2.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Meat loaves 3.JPG
    Meat loaves 3.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 163

Embryodad

I made these last night with ground turkey and they were wonderful! Otherwise, I made the recipe as written by Domestic Goddess. Oh, I did add a bit of fat free shredded mozzarella on top, and I made 6 meatloaves (had a bunch of HB eggs left over from Easter).

When I make these again (and I WILL), I'll just use some marinara sauce on top.

Served with a side of spinach and barley.

Ground turkey needs extra flavor added, so I used the below recipe to flavor it like Italian sausage:

Italian Sausage-Flavored Ground Turkey

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon dried fennel seeds

Thanks, DG - these were fun, easy and a terrific way to use up Easter eggs! :a1:

Lee
Haaaaa... What came first?? ... the chicken / turkey, or the egg??

I don't know....but I see, you got both! ...

Johnny West

Lee, we're out of HB eggs but your recipe looks like it would be good for a meatball recipe. I'd add an egg to bind it together I imagine. I'm wanting to do a meatball and pasta dinner this week. I think it's something I can do with not too much standing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd add an egg to bind it together I imagine.

John, I made the recipe she posted in the first post - it has an egg and breadcrumbs and other stuff.

Wish you could get that knee taken care of!

Lee