Our Very Best Dishes

SilverSage

Resident Crone
If you wanted to really impress someone special (The Queen, Julia Child, your Mother-in-law, someone else), what would you cook? :encore:

Soup to nuts. Our very best, most impressive meal. Tell us about it. :chef:

Have you ever made any of the dishes and posted it here before? Link it if you have. Post pics if you have them. If not, just describe what you'd make.

I can't wait to see everyone's very best menus! :cooking:

Deelady

Oh Lord.....I can't imagine anything of mine being served to anyone even remotely like them!! Not saying I don't believe I'm a good cook but my cooking style doesn't have nearly enough skills for anyone with a "refined palate".
You on the other hand I can imagine putting out quite the feast! ;)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm the same way. I'm just a down home cook. I try to make everything look and taste good but I'm no chef. I think that whomever I cooked for would enjoy the food...at least I would hope so....I just don't think that they would be all that "impressed".

Nancy-MD

I'd have to ditto the above answers. Everyday cooking is what I do and I'm happy not to have to impress anyone with a fancy dinner. That's what good restaurants are for! :biggrin:

But if I did want to make a good impression on someone, I would go for a beef filet since I only make those for very special occasions and holidays like Christmas. And have a variety of good side dishes and veggies to go along with it.

I know that's not the response you're looking for, but I'm just not into that fancy cooking.

Can't wait to see what others will prepare though!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have to share a true story in this regard. My good friend Warren in Tulahoma, Tennessee has a weekly meal routine where Friday's evening meal is always red beans and rice. It didn't matter what his wife served the other 6 days of the week, but Friday was ALWAYS red beans and rice.

Well, his church had hired a new pastor (a single man), and they had invited him to their home for dinner on...you guessed it, Friday night. Try as she might, the wife could not get Warren to budge off of his red beans and rice, saying "If the man is worth his salt, he'll eat whatever we put in front of him. Friday is STILL red beans and rice."

The new pastor arrived and he sat with Warren on the porch sipping a glass of sweet tea while the wife finished getting the dinner ready. She called them in to eat, and proceeded to apologize for the simplicity of the meal, explaining the ritual and Warren's unwillingness to allow her to make something a bit fancier. To her amazement, the pastor said that red beans and rice was HIS FAVORITE MEAL, and nobody had made it for him since arriving in the new town, making instead every sort of heart stopping meal you could imagine. Nobody had thought to ask what HE would like, but were all concerned with showing off their skill in the kitchen.

Warren smiled and said "I KNEW there was something I liked about you the first time we met. Now I know what it is."

I think that if you want to impress, then ask your guest what they would like for you to make for them, then put your heart and soul into making it the best you can. You will impress them with how much you care about them, by trying to fulfill their desire.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You guys all know that I'm not into fancy cooking, either. But if I had a special guest, I would try to make them some of my favorite Mexican foods. I could start with shrimp tostados, squeeze in some albondigas soup and have Chiles en Nogada as a main course. For dessert, Tres Leches Cake.

Attachments

• November 30 2008 005.jpg
    November 30 2008 005.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 228
  • ALBONDIGAS.jpg
    ALBONDIGAS.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 227
  • chiles en nogada.jpg
    chiles en nogada.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 217

Deelady

Oh Karen!! So pretty! I'll be a special guest of yours any time!! Yum!

Have you ever posted a recipe for your soup? That looks great for the Fall!

Deelady

I have to share a true story in this regard. My good friend Warren in Tulahoma, Tennessee has a weekly meal routine where Friday's evening meal is always red beans and rice. It didn't matter what his wife served the other 6 days of the week, but Friday was ALWAYS red beans and rice.

Well, his church had hired a new pastor (a single man), and they had invited him to their home for dinner on...you guessed it, Friday night. Try as she might, the wife could not get Warren to budge off of his red beans and rice, saying "If the man is worth his salt, he'll eat whatever we put in front of him. Friday is STILL red beans and rice."

The new pastor arrived and he sat with Warren on the porch sipping a glass of sweet tea while the wife finished getting the dinner ready. She called them in to eat, and proceeded to apologize for the simplicity of the meal, explaining the ritual and Warren's unwillingness to allow her to make something a bit fancier. To her amazement, the pastor said that red beans and rice was HIS FAVORITE MEAL, and nobody had made it for him since arriving in the new town, making instead every sort of heart stopping meal you could imagine. Nobody had thought to ask what HE would like, but were all concerned with showing off their skill in the kitchen.

Warren smiled and said "I KNEW there was something I liked about you the first time we met. Now I know what it is."

I think that if you want to impress, then ask your guest what they would like for you to make for them, then put your heart and soul into making it the best you can. You will impress them with how much you care about them, by trying to fulfill their desire.

Great story Joe :) I actually did think for a moment on answering what ever the person wanted but then I thought that when asked most people always give the same answer...."Oh what ever you cook is fine with me!"
I do agree that as long as you put your heart into it, any dish would most likely be well received for the effort and care put into it. But I think "Impressing" them might be a different story....

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Dee - I posted the recipe quite a while ago, but we do have a good search engine on this site, so I found it. Sometimes I add additional vegetables to the broth, which is what I did with the ones in the picture above.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I believe MexicoKaren's post was the kind of post that SS was looking for - and a truly beautiful post it was!

In other words, what are your favorite dishes to make for special occasions/special people?

I agree with Nancy - my most special meals are for Christmas dinner: An appetizer platter with various savories, beef tenderloin or prime rib, gravy, Yorkshir pudding, and rum cake for dessert. Or Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread Cake (pictured).

Lee

Attachments

• Christmas 2008 appetizers.JPG
    Christmas 2008 appetizers.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 205
  • Beef tenderloin.JPG
    Beef tenderloin.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread 2.JPG
    Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread 2.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mama, Sass, Peeps, Lee...Of course, I have never cooked all of these things at once. The Chiles en Nogada are a project, and I made them once for 20+ people in September (they are Mexico's official Independence Day food) and almost fainted toasting 24 chiles over my gas stove...Lee, I remember drooling over your postings at Christmas. Nice to take another look.

homecook

Karen, that whole spread looks awesome! :a1:
I'd have to agree with most everyone on not really having a meal to impress. I think I make a lot of good dishes but they're mostly for family and friends. I would be happy to cook a meal for anyone but I don't know how impressive it would be. :huh:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Since I'm not a 'schooled' chef, all of my dinners are a result of self education.

I like working with meats more than fish (not that I don't love fish, but I'm frankly not all that good at working with filets. I'd never present a filet for my 'best meal'.

I'd start with an amuse as the guests were just seating. It would be something in keeping with the overall theme of the evening. Perhaps a stuffed fig in a phyllo purse, or a fried slice of pancetta with a butternut puree on a garlic crouton..

If it were warm, like now...I'd present a cool roasted garlic soup with crab for the first course (see, that way I get to work with something from the sea, but don't foul up a beautiful fish)

Second would be a pappardelle with fresh tomatoes, basil, pinoli nuts

I'd like to work with beef cheeks for the entree, or perhaps a slow roasted hock with fava beans (or baby lima).

When I want to go all out I always end the meal with a cheese course. I'll go to the St. James (or any other excellent shoppe) for the best I can find. I like to let the guests see the descriptions that come with the cheese. I'd serve more of the figs, and nuts, too.

Dessert would be in the parlour. Perhaps individual tarts or something along that line. I wouldn't want to slice into some big dessert for this type of dinner.

Naturally, I'd have a different wine for each course.

I love when I have the money and time to do dinners like this. I think it's important to stretch our culinary legs every now and then.

Great topic, Silversage!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, Vera, you have posted many incredible pictures of multiple-course meals you have made for Lou and other members of your family!

I would REALLY like to try beef cheeks!

Lee

Deelady

Lovely pics Lee! One thing I did think of was prime rib and yorkshire pudding since it is a family tradition :) What a treat! What kind of roast is that you have? Is it a rib roast....it looks like it?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This wasn't a complete meal...but I was trying to impress someone. Almost a year ago, I was looking for a place for the restaurant. Found a nice location that was available. Problem was, two other people also wanted the space. I had to have an interview with the building owner to sell myself. I went to the interview with half a dozen meatballs, a container of red gravy and half a dozen homemade cookies. Clearly, the ploy worked:whistle:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lovely pics Lee! One thing I did think of was prime rib and yorkshire pudding since it is a family tradition :) What a treat! What kind of roast is that you have? Is it a rib roast....it looks like it?

That was a beef tenderloin, Dee.

Vera, excellent example of food to impress! Your meatballs and red gravy MUST be out of this world!

Lee

Nancy-MD

Oh my gosh, Karen and Lee, your dishes all look very impressive to me! I would be delighted to be served that. Pictures don't lie - it looks like it would be delicious even before the forkful would hit the mouth! Kudos!

Nice story, Joe.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
A menu for someone special might be:

Spinach salad made with baby spinach, radishes, bacon, and sliced eggs with this dressing:

3944586187_cb92f3e159_z.jpg

Mustard crusted Rack of Lamb with either brussel sprouts or asparagus:

RackOfLambPlated.jpg

With some twice baked baby Yukon Gold Potatoes:

TwiceBakedYukonGoldPotatoes.jpg

And some homemade yeast rolls:

IMG_2310.jpg

For dessert, Ice Cream cake:

3665636291_a7eac80234.jpg

Or, for something special, I really like to serve stirred custard and fruit in sundae glasses with a Pepperidge Farm pirouette cookie stuck in the side, just because they're such pretty little desserts :blush:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Cooksie!!!! That lamb is my DREAM meal, and it is perfectly, perfectly cooked!!!

How beautiful!!

Lee

loboloco

If I were trying to impress someone?
Salt cured ham, slow cooked and sliced off the bone, mixed turnip and mustard greens with pepper vinegar sauce, cathead buttermilk biscuits, molasses or maple syrup(for the biscuits), and either creamed corn or southern cooked green beans.
anybody who wasn't impressed with that spread wouldn't impress me.