The Horror - Using the right tool for the job.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I use and All-Clad SS skillet to pan sear steaks and they come out beautifully. But it could be in part because I have 2 high-capacity gas burners. Actually, I use SS for everything.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I keep hearing about this way of making bacon but I've never tried it. It does seem much simpler and less dangerous. Does it splatter a lot of grease around the inside of the oven?

No. Damage is minimal. :blush:

425 degrees
15 min for floppy
20 for crisp
25 for extra crisp

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I cooked a steak in my 13" All-Clad SS French Chef's pan on my induction and it turned out every bit as good as in my CI. I also had perfect control on the heat so I've been really impressed with the induction over every other I've owned both electric and gas. It is really impressive at low temps for making sauces that can break down. I've also found you can melt chocolate with out needing a double boiler which is also good in my opinion.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I cooked a steak in my 13" All-Clad SS French Chef's pan on my induction and it turned out every bit as good as in my CI. I also had perfect control on the heat so I've been really impressed with the induction over every other I've owned both electric and gas. It is really impressive at low temps for making sauces that can break down. I've also found you can melt chocolate with out needing a double boiler which is also good in my opinion.
That's the same skillet I use, Joe, and the results are perfect!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No. Damage is minimal. :blush:

425 degrees
15 min for floppy
20 for crisp
25 for extra crisp
This is great! Because I usually make 3+ pounds when the whole gang is here and it takes forever on top of the stove and I have to keep standing there making sure no one but me gets burned! I owe you big for this, Buzz.:heart:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I now have two FM I got the 11" also and love them both. Really great pans in my opinion. The 11" I use for my mushroom steak topping.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I now have two FM I got the 11" also and love them both. Really great pans in my opinion. The 11" I use for my mushroom steak topping.
Great minds think alike - I got the 11" too recently with a domed lid. I find I reach for those 2 pans 95% of the time when I'm cooking. Of course, I don't have an induction cooker yet, but one day....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I read the package for my pan and it basically says the same thing, but it also says any oil will affect the performance of the pan too. Basically it says not to use anything which will never work for me.

I hadn't heard that about regular oil. My litle Teflon egg pan (9") was a Wal-Mart special, so it didn't come with a manual! :lol:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Domed lid, where did you get that at? As for induction I have 2 of the Circulon units and actually use them more than my 4 burner electric stove. They both came from Amazon and are flat great.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Ok, I found the solution, so I'm posting it in a new "Tools" thread so I can find it later!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
By the way for non stick pans it is said if you use oil, butter or some other fat add it before heating the pan unlike every other pan where you add it once is starts to heat up.. I've always done it but don't know what other do.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Domed lid, where did you get that at? As for induction I have 2 of the Circulon units and actually use them more than my 4 burner electric stove. They both came from Amazon and are flat great.
It was on Amazon, but it came from Macy's and it was a set. I didn't even know you could get a lid, and then I wondered if it was really an All-Clad lid. But it was - and very nice and heavy one, to boot. I think it was $95 for the 2.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
This is great! Because I usually make 3+ pounds when the whole gang is here and it takes forever on top of the stove and I have to keep standing there making sure no one but me gets burned! I owe you big for this, Buzz.:heart:

I take kisses or cashiers checks. How far can you throw a kiss? :yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It was on Amazon, but it came from Macy's and it was a set. I didn't even know you could get a lid, and then I wondered if it was really an All-Clad lid. But it was - and very nice and heavy one, to boot. I think it was $95 for the 2.

I wonder if you can buy just the lid. I would actually like to have one for some things though if not, not a big deal.

GotGarlic

Here's another tip: You can bake French toast the same way people have described making bacon in the oven, but turn the temp to 500*F. Bake 5-8 minutes till the bottoms are browned, then turn and bake 2-4 minutes longer. It's SO much easier than using a skillet, especially when you're cooking for a crowd.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Here's the set I got, Joe:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F15GBG[/ame]

I don't know if you can buy the lid separate.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here's another tip: You can bake French toast the same way people have described making bacon in the oven, but turn the temp to 500*F. Bake 5-8 minutes till the bottoms are browned, then turn and bake 2-4 minutes longer. It's SO much easier than using a skillet, especially when you're cooking for a crowd.

Awesome tip!!!!! Thanks! :thumb:

Man, I love French Toast!!