Tricks for Frying Eggs?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I use butter in a non-stick pan over low, medium-low heat. I like my eggs over medium...the white done but the yolk runny so once the white is set, I flip them over, and then take them off the heat to finish cooking.

I agree with Mama. With a good non-stick pan it's easy to flip them in the air...

Shermie

Site Supporter
I HAVE a non-stick skillet, and believe it or not, the eggs STILL stuck to the surface!

chowhound

I've good eggs with straight butter before, in fact, that's all I use if all I'm cooking is eggs and no bacon to get the grease, but it's low and slow and you'll definitely need the lid to get the top to cook/set up.

homecook

I've good eggs with straight butter before, in fact, that's all I use if all I'm cooking is eggs and no bacon to get the grease, but it's low and slow and you'll definitely need the lid to get the top to cook/set up.

Yep, that's how I do mine.....

AllenOK

I always use a non-stick pan for this. The only problem is, non-stick pan will loose teflon over the years, and if there's a scratch through the teflon, things will stick.

I have one professional 8" non-stick pan that I bought about 12 years ago. I baby that thing! It's still cooking good eggs, but it's a little small for omelettes.

We do have one 6" CI skillet, that once heated and butter is added, will cook eggs without sticking. That one pan is pretty darn old, and has been used for nothing but eggs for years.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
2 T butter gradually brought to medium high heat in CI skillet, with eggs dropped in just when butter starts to sizzle. Flip when whites are nearly cooked, cook on the other side for about 30 -40 seconds, flip once again. Done.
That's how I do my eggs.

That's how I cook them too Sass....my problem is flipping them over! I can't flip an egg or a pancake! lol ugh....:bonk:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That's how I cook them too Sass....my problem is flipping them over! I can't flip an egg or a pancake! lol ugh....:bonk:
I use a wide spatula and a large spoon resting gently on the top.
Then flip it.
Works sometimes, not always.

High Cheese

Saucier
I have trouble with flipping, too, RM! Especially eggs with runny yolks.

Become one with the spatula.
smirk.gif

gadzooks

Fried eggs...over easy, please, runny yolks to dip toast in. I save leftover bacon grease for frying eggs, and have a particular pan I use. Same pan, every time. Old Wagner 9" cast iron Chef's Skillet. It's the second incarnation of an older Griswold/Wagner CI pan, and much lighter than its direct ancestor. The sides are curved gently rather than abruptly sloped, so flipping eggs sans spatula is easy. If you want fast fried eggs "up," just flip a few drops of water into the pan (not on the eggs, please) when the bottoms seem done and cover quickly. The steam will cook the tops, but not too long, or you'll get the kind of eggs rubber chickens lay.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What I want to know is;
Did you ever get those eggs fried, Doc?
Yeah, but still not all white like the restaurants do. I suppose they only use olive oil. I use bacon grease. Used to use butter, but after this thread will simply use olive oil instead when I'm tempted to add a little butter.

NaCIO????? What's that Wart? :confused:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh!!! :eek: :puke: :puke; :puke2:

OT ....
Oh yeah, that reminds me, I left the puke smilies off of this forum because it was about cooking. Should we have puke smilies?
edit to add:
Better worded: would puke smilies be appropriate on a cooking forum. My first thoughts obviously were NO.