Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Food Events , Dining Out, Electronics and NCT Forum Info > Food Events Forum

Food Events Forum Chili Cook offs, Rib Fest, Any event having to do with food.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Dough Boy

JoeV will become famous soon enough
Default Bread Baking Class & Fundraiser

This coming Saturday, Feb 28th, I will be teaching a hands-off bread baking class at St. John Vianney Church in Mentor, Ohio from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cost of the class is $25 per person, and 100% of the proceeds go to the St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry at this church. I have 15 people signed up already, but there is no limit so anyone can come. Recipes for everything I make will be given to each participant.

This class will be on enriched breads, and I will be teaching how to make Challah Bread (4 & 6 strand braids), Easter Bread complete with fresh eggs, and Hot Cross Buns. Coffee, tea and samples of everything I make will be included.

I will be doing all the mixing, kneading and baking, so this will be a lecture and feast type of class. Anyone in the area interested in attending can leave me a PM and I'll get back to you.

I did a similar fundraiser just before Christmas, and we generated just over $800 for the food pantry. Times are no less challenging today, so we're hoping to beat that mark so we can provide even more food for needy families for Easter.

Anyone who would like to help out but will be unable to attend, I encourage you to make a donation to your local food pantry to help feed the hungry. These organizations have tremendous buying power, and a $1 donation can purchase $2-$3 worth of food for a needy family. They all need your help, and you will be richly blessed for your generosity.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Grill Master

Location: heart's in Medocino, Ca., past is in Jersey, tushie's in SW Fl.
Calicolady is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style
Default Re: Bread Baking Class & Fundraiser

This is a good thing you do, joe.
I remember you posting the earlier event and the pics.
Everyone was smiling and the samples looked yummie, as usual.
Hats off and KARMA to you!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicolady View Post
This is a good thing you do, joe.
I remember you posting the earlier event and the pics.
Everyone was smiling and the samples looked yummie, as usual.
Hats off and KARMA to you!
Thank you. I'm sure we'll have a good time, and someone might actually learn something.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Restaurant Chef

homecook is on a distinguished road

Believe me.....I went to Joe's first baking class. It helped tremendously and I did learn alot and it was alot of fun, especially when Joe put his foot in his mouth a couple times. LOL It is for a good cause.
I really wish I could attend this one, but too much going on here.
Have a great time!

Barb
Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Dough Boy

We had a great time with my fundraising bread class today. After working at the fish fry for 5-1/2 hours Friday night, I was back there at 0700 this morning. I had 22 students, of which 4 were in my first class back in December. I guess they would now qualify as "Disciples" of the Dough god. We wrapped up the class in about 4 hours, and everyone was well fed.

Before the class started at 0900, I had baked 4 dozen Oatmeal Raisin Cake Cookies, and made the dough for Challah Bread, Hot Cross Buns and Braided Easter Bread with raw egg baked with bread, and had it all in the proof box. I then took the class through the steps for assembling ingredients for bread, by making another batch of Challah dough, and then took each of the proofed doughs and did the shaping, second proof and baked everything. As each bread came out of the oven I cut up the whole batch and everyone sampled each bread.

I didn't think about pics until late in the process, but my helper did get a few pics with my camera.

Here are some of the attendees, and the remnants of the Challah Bread on the counter...

I used 11 eggs for all the doughs, so I only had one left for the Braided Easter bread. The egg drooped from the top of the loaf, and it looks like a snake laying an egg!

The Hot Cross Buns came out beautifully (glazed them hot with 2T sugar and 2T water), and my helper managed to get a pic of me icing the crosses on them.

When all was said and done, the students donated $550, I kicked in $100, and a benefactor matched the first $250, for a total of $900 for the food pantry. Definitely a worthwhile event, and I was able to introduce a lot of people to the world of bread baking. I'm pleased with the outcome, and look forward to the next class in the Fall.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Tortes Are Us

PieSusan is on a distinguished road

Cool beans! Sorry that I couldn't be there. My mom is too fragile right now. Excellent fundraiser, you should be very proud!!!!

Maida Heatter is still with us. G-d bless her.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Restaurant Chef

homecook is on a distinguished road

Great job Joe!! Sorry I missed it. Hopefully I'll make the next one.

Barb
Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Grill Master

PanchoHambre is on a distinguished road

Great stuff Joe. A really nice way to share your skills.

J.T.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Joyfully Retired

MexicoKaren is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine anyone I'd rather learn breadmaking from, Joe. Sorry I could not be there. Bless you for the good work you do.

Tags
baking fundraiser, bread baking class