Dark and Stormy cocktail

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend first told me about this drink years ago. She is a non-drinker, but she loves Dark and Stormys (something about a romantic evening with her husband in Bermuda).

Anyway, I tried to make a couple probably 15 years ago, for my mother and me. We hated them, couldn't drink them, tossed them out.

Yesterday, I was in line at the package store, and the guy in front of me had a bottle of Gosling's Black Rum and a bottle of Gosling's Ginger Beer.

Being the suggestible person that I am, I HAD to go back to the store today and buy some for myself. There's got to be a reason why Sally, a non-drinker, loves this drink, and I want to try it again.

The bottle of rum suggests putting ice in a tall glass, adding 4.5 ounces of ginger beer and 1.5 ounces of black rum to it. Lime optional.

Have any of you made these? If so, does that sound right?

I might save the drinks for a dark and stormy night in the future.

Lee

Attachments

• rum and ginger beer.JPG
    rum and ginger beer.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 245

Johnny West

I normally use 2 shots but would probably use 6 ounces of ginger beer. I love ginger beer, as it is. A little lime will keep scurvy at bay.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used the recipe John posted and I like it! The lime helps balance the sweetness of the rum and the bitterness of the ginger.

Either my pallet has matured, or I just made it correctly this time!

Looks like the ocean after a wave has broken when you stir it.

Lee

Attachments

• Dark and Stormy.JPG
    Dark and Stormy.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 220

Johnny West

I can't say I think much of your choice of barware. :whistle:

I bought ginger beer, just never got around to trying it the past weekend. Of late, I haven't felt like drinking to much. I'm glad you like it.

Johnny West

I just fixed one - I have the Black Seal and it's excellent, and the ginger beer is Terry's. I think I need to squeeze out the lime a bit mrs, too. This will make a nice change this summer with the G&T's.

Thanks for tip on these.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tough day at the office and I'm beat.

Really would love a martini, but that's my Friday night treat.

A Dark and Stormy is a nice consolation prize!

Lee

Johnny West

I've not had a martini since surgery and taking oxycodone. :dizzy: I do have the odd beer and glass of wine, though. Right now I think one martini would knock me on my a$$.

Do you like cuba libre's, Lee? I don't mind them in hot weather.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you like cuba libre's, Lee? I don't mind them in hot weather.

I don't know, John. The Coke is pretty sweet and I don't care for sweet drinks. I'd have to squeeze a lot of lime in there.

Please be careful with those damned opiates, John! They scare the hell out of me!

Lee

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I've also drunk them - I use soda and rum. Just thinking which kind of soda, since it's been a while ... I think Fresca?

Johnny West

I grew up drinking Coke so no problem.

There is a thing with knee pain where one has pain at night for at least three months. Once the body relaxes the knee pain concentrates and makes it difficult for sleep and tylonal doesn't help at all. When I had the other knee done it was not a problem quitting.

Johnny West

I got some locally made ginger beer to try tonight.

I'm amazed at all the new pop companies springing up as well as
established places making soda with alcohol content.