Advice on an herb garden

smoke king

Banned
Hey everyone, due to some re-arranging of my yard, I ended up with about 30 square feet of space that I'd like to use for an herb garden. I've never so much as attempted to grow herbs, so I am a novice in every sense of the word.

Do any particular herbs avail themselves to amateurs as opposed to others? How much room do they need? I'm sure feeding/fertilization is similar to the regular garden, so I'll rely on the plant food mfrs instruction.

I guess I'm thinking Rosemary, Thyme etc, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd love to have fresh cilantro, chives, parsely etc at my disposal, but have no idea if they are even feasible for me. The growing season here in Nebraska runs from now until about September/October.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have never attempted to grow anything either so I'll be following this thread closely, too, SK.

I know a little about "herbs".....

suziquzie

BASIL!!!!!! oh yeah, and BASIL!!!!
:)
Sattie will tell ya....
I think herbs are about the easiest thing to grow.... and LOTS of them will come back every year.
Fresh sage is great..... thyme, oregano, chives, rosemary all come back with little care.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Suzi's suggestions are great, SK. I grow all of the things she mentioned, plus marjoram and spearmint (for lamb).

I don't care for cilantro or lavender, so I skip those.

Two pieces of advice to start with: first BUY PLANTS!! It takes too long for herb seeds to grow into big plants.

Second, if you decide to grow spearmint or peppermint, plant it in a good-sized pot, or it will spread all over the place.

You will LOVE having fresh herbs at your fingertips this summer!

Lee

I live on a ledge, so my entire garden is in containers. Works very well for me!

herbsearlyib8.jpg

pictureto1004075it0.jpg

homecook

I agree with QSis. Herbs are fairly easy to keep up. I also buy the plants. Parsley, basil, thyme, marjoram, chives, oregano and rosemary. I don't use any chemicals in my garden.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I pretty much grow all the main herbs including 3 types of basil, parsley, dill, etc without much problems as most grow like weeds. I also grow 5 kinds of hot peppers as well as bell peppers with out much work but be careful where you plant them. I planted some jalapeños one year beside some tomato plants and the tomatoes where hot while the peppers were weak.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Basil works great between tomato plants as basil help keep away pests. Jalapeños is the only thing I've ever tasted in the tomato so I would guess something is passed in the soil. I've grown other vegetables by tomatoes also with no problem. I don't know if it is just jalapeños or other hot peppers since I've never done it again.

High Cheese

Saucier
Most herbs are very easy to grow. Though I have found that some just don't do well in planters like rosemary, cilantro and parsley. I don't know if it's the potting soil I'm using or what, but they do well in the ground. If you grow mint, plant the mint INSIDE a plastic container to prevent off shoots. Mint WILL take over your garden. I have the same sage plant for 3 years now doing pretty good. This year I'm moving some of the herbs to the vegetable garden. So far I found that chives, sage, rosemary and thyme come back the following year(s). We let the cilantro go to seed and it's growing a new plant. lol

Purple Basil
Garden1012.jpg

Sage, chives (too easy) and parsley in the back.
Garden003-1.jpg

An older pic.
Planters.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I grow those in my aero garden, but they grow good here in the ground. Cilentro would be the hardest because it growes quickly then goes to seed and dies so you must keep an eye on it or you wind up with Coriander seeds in stead of the leaf.

Oh by all means don't let mint get away from you or it will take over as it a weed.

suziquzie

We planted mint at our old house, we just had 4-5 raised beds there in a tiny backyard.... that was 6 years ago now
hehe good thing we sold that house, drove by once last summer and that whole entire bed PLUS part of the lawn was a mint forest.
oops. bet they dont like us much.
:)

AllenOK

I would drop my rosemary into the ground, but I don't think we'll be in this house long. Maybe I'll just get a larger container.

I think the trick with cilantro would be to have multiple large containers (or beds), and rotate your plantings, say, maybe two weeks apart? That way you will always have a "crop" of cilantro coming in. How much do you need? Depends on how much you use it. I do use quite a bit of coriander, so letting some go to seed would be good for me.

HHHMMMMMMMMM.....maybe I need to go get a container of cilantro (or three) going.

High Cheese

Saucier
When our cilantro was doing well it lasted quite a while. Once you let cilantro or parsley flower you're screwed. You can get away with pinching the buds off with basil, but the others don't seem to take it too well. Keep trimming the tops.

GotGarlic

Allen, the problem with cilantro is that it's a relatively cool-weather plant - when the soil gets above 75 degrees, it bolts to seed, so rotating won't help much.

Most herbs are like weeds - they need little care, and even have low water requirements, except for basil. That one I plant with my tomatoes, so it gets watered well. Rosemary can grow into a fairly large shrub - mine is about 3' all around. Parsley is a biennial, so it goes to seed the second year. You may see new plants coming up from the seed, and you can transplant those to where you want them.

Here's my herb garden a few years ago:

Attachments

• herb-garden2.jpg
    herb-garden2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 233

smoke king

Banned
As usual, you guys always come through for me!! Now I'm off to get the beds ready! (more than likely more questions will follow!!)

Thanks!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
As usual, you guys always come through for me!! Now I'm off to get the beds ready! (more than likely more questions will follow!!)

Thanks!

hey SK, i have these seeds, i won them on another forum...oh the pretty purples....oh wait wrong forum.lol

but seriously though...all the advice is very good

i love basil, for me, the more i snipped it the better it grew. its the only herb i can grow successfully except dill..lol

smoke king

Banned
hey SK, i have these seeds, i won them on another forum...oh the pretty purples....oh wait wrong forum.lol

but seriously though...all the advice is very good

i love basil, for me, the more i snipped it the better it grew. its the only herb i can grow successfully except dill..lol

:yum::yum: Hey Jeff, I think I have some of "those" seeds in my sock drawer!!

Seriously, having never attempted an herb garden before, I'd be ecstatic over basil and dill-I love em' both!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
the only warning i have about dill is plant it where you dont ever want to plant something again..it takes over and make sure you pick it b4 it seeds... you will have dill everywhere..lol

GotGarlic

the only warning i have about dill is plant it where you dont ever want to plant something again..it takes over and make sure you pick it b4 it seeds... you will have dill everywhere..lol

I wish! Why don't this happen to me lol

GotGarlic

I wish! Why don't this happen to me :glare:

Here's our herb garden this year:

Attachments

• herb-garden-2009.jpg
    herb-garden-2009.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 193

GotGarlic

Front left is oregano, front middle is thyme, front right is rosemary that really needs trimming :lol: Back middle is fennel, back right is a 6-foot (at least) bay laurel tree. There's also lemongrass, Italian parsley, tarragon, cilantro, dill, purple ruffled basil (need to pick up some sweet basil today), lemon balm, sage, and tricolor sage. Chives are planted in the veggie garden. Love my fresh herbs!

Mr. Green Jeans

Bob, for herbs go light on the fertility in fact an organic based (slow release, low N-P-K) would be best. The goal is to not have lush growing plants so that the flavors you seek are more intense. Same goes with watering.
Rosemary won't be winter hardy for you in your area. I lost my plant over the winter and our lowest temp was 17 degrees. Grow it in a planter and move indoors before first frost. It will survive indoors providing you have a sunny window.
Sage, thyme, chives, garlic (fall plant bulbs), flat leafed parsley (biennial grows one year, flowers the next treat as an annual) basil should all do real well for you.
I have struggled with cilantro and bolting like GG mentioned. My Mexican co-workers told me you have you be brutal with it. As soon as it is growing good, cut it all off at the crown keep doing this and it won't bolt.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I recently bought some basil and French lavender. I like pot gardens as they are easier on my back and body. With basil, one has to remember to pinch off the flowers as soon as possible. I have found herbs to be rather easy to grow as long as they get enough sun and water. Catnip is a great plant to grow, too. It is very easy as well. I have grown strawberries in pots, too.

I like to buy plants, too but have grown string beans from seeds. My neighbor loves to garden and I buy her plants and seeds and she shares with me from her bounty. I like to bake to destress, she loves to garden to destress. It works out well, I get a lot of zucchini and make tons of zucchini bread every summer. She also has an electric fence around her garden and she has a cloth that she bought that keeps the weeding to a minimum. It is a pretty cool set up--at some point, I shall take pictures of what she does to share.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, SK! Good one!

Having trouble sleeping last night?

Lee

smoke king

Banned
LOL, SK! Good one!

Having trouble sleeping last night?

Lee

LOL-Seems now that Izzy has arrived the only time I have to myself is in the middle of the night!

I look like Paris Hilton carrying my little dog everywhere with me.....except I don't recall hers trying to bite her face!!!:yum:

lesley

I've also started a herb garden this year...everything is in pots so they can be moved around..it gets quite windy & the birds pinch everything...so I'm watching this space for lots of tips.
Basil I grow on the windowsill inside..only 'cause I love the smell..
great photo's of herb gardens ...