Which would you buy? Santoku or Gyutoh Knife?

LETHAL GTS

I am giving my girlfriend my Henckels TWIN Cuisine Santoku and I want to upgrade to a higher performance and more exotic knife.
What do you suggest for someone like me who, as my girlfriend puts it, is a little over the top. :alc::twak:
Buzzard? What would you recommend.
Thanks in advance.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
As much as I like Sean's choice I would recommend a Hiromoto Aogami Super Blue Steel Gyuto. The differences between white steel and blue super is that white can be made ever so slightly sharper and blue edges last a little longer. It's a tossup and inconsequential for a home cook. I have knives made of each and cannot tell the difference.

Another source: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

The first Japanese knife I gave my daughter was a 240 Hiromoto with a custom handle. Since that time I have gifted her several other knives but the Hiro is her goto.

Attachments

• 100_0228.jpg
    100_0228.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,322
Last edited:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Second the gyuto over the santoku, but of course, you should consider what chores you want to perform with the knife. I don't even own a santoku....

S.Shepherd

As much as I like Sean's choice I would recommend a Hiromoto Aogami Super Blue Steel Gyuto. The differences between white steel and blue super is that white can be made ever so slightly sharper and blue edges last a little longer. It's a tossup and inconsequential for a home cook. I have knives made of each and cannot tell the difference.

Another source: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

The first Japanese knife I gave my daughter was a 240 Hiromoto with a custom handle. Since that time I have gifted her several other knives but the Hiro is her goto.

you're not normal anyway:tongue:

besides, white is spicier than blue:lol:

LETHAL GTS

I like the way the blade on these knives comes back at the heal of the blade. I don't know if this has any benefits, but it looks cool as well.
Buzz, would you have any recommendations on a gyuto with this style of demascus blade?
Img963.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Second the gyuto over the santoku, but of course, you should consider what chores you want to perform with the knife. I don't even own a santoku....

don't dismiss the santoku too lightly - I managed quite well - thank you - for 30+ years without one. in a desperate Xmas mood, got gifted one.

okay, it's an el-super-cheepo $20 Kitchenaid from the supermarket Gadgets rack..... 7 inch.

it's stainless, very soft, needs more frequent TLC than fits my inclination. but it's the profile of the cutting edge - specifically,,, it's almost but not quite 'flat' - that makes it so handy for many chopping / dicing tasks. I would normally get out the 10" or 8" chef knife to put that amount of 'flat' on the cutting board - but the santuko style has become one of my favs - I luv it, in fact I've bought a Wuesthof santuko 4183/17 to 'replace' it - and (sigh) now I need a custom block to hold the expanded collection . . . .

do note: there's the classic very shallow belly style (the/my preferred...) and 'designer' style santuko that are essentially a chef knife with a fat point/tip.

S.Shepherd

I like the way the blade on these knives comes back at the heal of the blade. I don't know if this has any benefits, but it looks cool as well.
Buzz, would you have any recommendations on a gyuto with this style of demascus blade?
Img963.jpg
damascus? you must have the wrong pic

Rob Babcock

If you could only have one or the other the gyuto is a much better choice- it's simply more versatile. At home I occasionally use a santoku simply because I have a couple of old beaters around that I retired from my knife case that I use at work. BTW, I never use a santoku while cooking in a restaurant. To me a 240mm gyuto is about the most used knife I own. A 270 is nice for some stuff, though. I don't have much use for the 210mm/8 inch size; it's just too small to be practical for most of the stuff I do.

For around $200 my favorites are the Ichimonji (now branded by Kikuichi) TKC and the Ikeda/Akifusa. Certainly the Hiromoto AS is a great knife; I have one in 270mm and it gets used a lot at work. I'm intrigued at the new "CarboNext" at JKC, too. Maybe I'll get the 300mm suji version.

LETHAL GTS

Thanks
I'm getting pretty anxious to buy a new knife.
Buzz, is that website a good reputable supplier? And is it even wise to buy a knife without even holding it?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks
I'm getting pretty anxious to buy a new knife.
Buzz, is that website a good reputable supplier? And is it even wise to buy a knife without even holding it?

Both sites I listed are first rate. The Japanese site will produce a delivery in as little as 5 business days - FROM JAPAN and the shipping charge last I checked is only $7! I have purchased several knives from them over the years. ChefKnivesToGo in Madison, WI gets the same thumbs up. The owner, Mark, does what he says he'll do. I have purchased all of my knives over the past three years sight unseen with zero regrets. I trust the opinions of others and have not been disappointed.

Also I see a lot of Swedish steel. Which would be better? Japanese or Swedish?

The blue and white steel we talked about are made by Hitachi and are as good as any carbon steels in the world today. The Swedish steel in the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff is Uddelholm AEB-L. It is stainless, has minuscule carbide particles (sharpenable to insane edges), and is what most razor blades are made of. I highly recommend any of the above and use all of them.

LETHAL GTS

Img218.jpg
Carbon Steel Blades. Some poeple love but some people might not prefer. Unlike Stainless steel blade kitchen knives, carbon steel blade gets rust easily and requires extra maintenance to prevent rust problem. But stil some people prefer carbon steel blade kitchen knives. They know "Why ?"
Hiromoto Aoami Super TJ-35AS Santoku 190mm has 3 layers blade construction (Clad). Hiromoto Aogami Super Series items are one of our popular items for carbon steel blade lovers. Aoami Super is the greatest carbon steel material (Richest chemical composition), and the sharpness and edge retention of Hiromoto Aogami Super items are highly admired. Since outer layers are made of soft stainless steel, only blade core part (Aogami Super) has possibility to get rust or discolored.(It means not so difficult maintenance).
Misono Sweden Steel Series is Misono company's long seller items.They first started the production wth this Series of kitchen knives. Misono Sweden Steel Series come with Japanese design of Flower or Dragon Engraving. (No.113 Gyuto 240mm comes with Dragon Engraving. Petty and Boning Knife are not engraved).
Advantage of Carbon Steel blades are sharpness and edge retention, easier re-sharpening.
Highly recomended to Carbon Steel Lovers !!

Special Price $225.00

Buzz what do you think of this deal?

LETHAL GTS

Done!
I just order the set of JCK knives. This way I get both the Gyuto and the Santoku for one great low price.
I needed to put this rest before I drive everyone crazy...:bounce:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Nice score. The Misono is a terrific knife and worth it for the dragon engraving alone. :)

LETHAL GTS

Maybe I'm too impatient, but I haven't seen any change in my order since they claimed to have shipped on the 17th. They said they sent it on the 17th, but the status hasn't changed in two days.

Date Status Details Office Prefecture ZIP code Nov 17
18:56 Posting/Collection SEKI Branch Gifu prefecture 501-3299 Nov 17
23:36 Dispatch from outward office of exchange CHUBU INTERNATIONAL Branch Aichi prefecture 479-0199

is all it says.
Anyone have any experience with EMS? Just curious and anxious to receive my package. :bounce:
Thanks

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe I'm too impatient, but I haven't seen any change in my order since they claimed to have shipped on the 17th. They said they sent it on the 17th, but the status hasn't changed in two days.

Anyone have any experience with EMS? Just curious and anxious to receive my package. :bounce:
Thanks

I've ordered from them several times - totally reliable. Remember, the knives are coming from Japan and things are different. They'll show up at your door sometime next week "almost" for sure. If they don't arrive next week email Koki. He's the boss over there and can probably provide some kind of tracking but I don't think you'll find it to be necessary.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
EMS is a known and reputable shipping service.

I did see somewhere USPS has instituted "new" rules (thanks to the terrorists..)
that has impacted EMS shipments involving USPS First Class / Priority Mail shipping.

patience, Grasshopper . . . .

LETHAL GTS

LOL Thanks guys...If you knew me you'd know that I don't have patience. Well very few anyway.
That was the same place I was tracking my order Buzz, thanks.
and yes I will try and contain myself until next weekend.

LETHAL GTS

My knives showed up in Vancouver on Friday.
Yippee, that means I should have them this week in time for FRANKEN PANTRY VIII!