Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Cranberry-Orange Relish

1 bag fresh cranberries
1 whole navel orange, skin included, washed
and cut into chunks
1/2 cup shelled pecans
2/3 cup mild honey, such as clover (or less if you like it "Pucker up" tart)

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse, then
blend until you have a uniform, very finely chopped mixture with
a crunchy texture. Chill until ready to serve.

recipe can be doubled

This is best made on Thanksgiving Day, but
if really pressed for time, you could make it a day ahead.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

My beloved grandmother (who hated to cook, but loved reading cookbooks and watching cooking shows) used to make this for Thanksgiving.

Lee

Biskit

I've made this, myself, and was told that a good shot of sugar on it, then let sit in the refrigerator for a day does the trick!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Biskit! Long time, no see!

Stick around, will ya?

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Mom made this when I was a kid and I now I make it but I use tangerines instead. I always make it 2 days ahead of time.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Heres a picture from the last time I made it.
cranberryrelish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny West

Nancy made craneberry relish today and canned it…. She forgot the orange after going out of our way to buy the oranges.

We still have several bags to freeze.

She’s making vegetarian mincemeat right now.

875F8132-8676-4F37-A445-968D9283B037.jpeg
2F57ACFC-8FD5-4A19-84B5-9E78B1DFD0C1.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
My mother used to make the relish with sugar, no nuts. I never liked it because it had a bitter aftertaste to me. So, it finally dawned on me that the pith was causing the bitterness so I used the zest and discarded the pith and cut down the sugar some. Much better to my palate.

She used the relish to make a molded jello salad with cherry jello, celery and walnuts. I don't remember if there was anything else though. The family in Kentucky where she lived the last 20 or so years of her life always requested it for Turkey Day and Christmas. After my mom passed years ago, my aunt in Kentucky called me asking for the recipe. I had to Google and dig deep in the ole memory.

I don't make it anymore because Craig is the only one that likes Cranberry relish and he likes the canned gelled type for his leftover turkey sandwiches.