Moroccan Gazelle Horns

Saliha

(Almond Paste-Filled Pastries)

IMG_3342-300x225.jpg

To cover 35 to 40 gazelle horns, you will need:

1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour – about 200g
3 tbsp melted butter – about 40g
2 tbsp orange blossom water (I have used orange juice)
1 egg and 1 pinch of salt
6 tbsp water to add at the end

Mix all ingredients and knead the dough with the water like when you make bread for at least 5 minutes without breaking its elasticity. When ready, cover and let it rest while you are making the almond paste.

Recipe to make the almond paste for Gazelle horns

You will need:

1 pound raw whole almonds – about 500g
1 cup sugar – about 250g
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp orange blossom water (or orange juice)
2 tsp cinnamon

First start by peeling the almonds: pour them into boiling water then reduce te heat to low and let simmer for 2 min {They should not be cooked too much as they should be chewy}. Then drain a small quantity at a time and peel it before draining more, etc.

Mix the almonds and the sugar in a food processor to form a paste {If you are using dry blanched almonds instead of raw whole almonds, it would be a powder texture and you may need to add 1 or 2 tbsp of orange blossom water}, then mix with the rest of ingredients and mix again to get the traditional flavored Gazelle horns’ almond paste. It’s quite soft and full of wonderful flavors.

Form small rolls or sausage shapes of about 6 cm (3 inches) long.

Technic to create Gazelle horns pastry

To create a gazelle horn, spread part of the dough in a very thin layer of 5 inches wide then put one almond paste roll on top and cover it with the dough.

Shape the pastry in a crescent form by gently pressing the dough against the almond paste using both hands’ thumbs and fingers.

Use a wavy cookie cutter to cut the dough and have a traditional look for the Gazelle horns then place the cookie on a baking pan covered with parchment paper.

Repeat until you cover all almond paste rolls.

How to bake Gazelle horns

If you have time, you can let the pastries rest for 3 to 12 hours (a morning, an afternoon or overnight) before cooking them in order to allow the dough and the almond paste to form a single cookie… or cook them straight away after making small holes using a fork or a toothpick in each cookie to make sure it doesn’t puff-up when it bakes.

Preheat the oven at 180 C (350 F)

Bake the cookies for 10 to 20 mins depending on their size.

Remember, Gazelle horns are supposed to be soft and chewy pastries, so make sure you don’t overcook them, even if the dough is still quite white after 20 mins, they are ready.

http://www.crazyaicha.com/gazelle-h...elle-the-best-ambassador-for-moroccan-pastry/

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I like! but the Vienna in me is more flaky - this should work with phyllo dough, no?

...bit of powder sugar , , , honey drizzle . . . just drooling out loud here.....

Saliha

I like! but the Vienna in me is more flaky - this should work with phyllo dough, no?

...bit of powder sugar , , , honey drizzle . . . just drooling out loud here.....

This your description reminds me pastry called Bint Al Sahn (Yemeni Honey Cake). I think it could make also with phyllo dough as its made with dough layers.
.​
,​
82d23e915167f79fd740a46943a94467.jpg
.​
Or then baklava.​
Anyways, I will drool too...​