Karen's Porchetta

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Karen's Porchetta[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]There is a deli in Northwest Portland, Oregon (my hometown) that has people lined up around the block every Thursday, because that's the day they make porchetta. I have wanted to make it myself since I first tasted it there, and now that I am in Mexico, where the pork is of such outstanding quality, I decided to give it a try several months ago. It is becoming a staple in my kitchen, and is an excellent dish for entertaining, because you put it together the day before and just let it cook slowly in the oven the day you serve it, filling your house with marvelous smells, I researched dozens of recipes online, never finding a single one that seemed just right, so I took an eclectic approach and devised my own:[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]This recipe serves 8-10 hungry people, with some leftovers (important!)[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Start with a big chunk of pork shoulder. The last one I made was 3 and ½ kilos, or a little over 7 pounds. Trim it into a nice block shape and cut it through the middle, to about a half inch of the other side, then open it like a book and pat down the seam until it is as flat as possible.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Assemble the following ingredients for a spicy rub:[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]¼ cup fennel seeds[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]10-12 cloves of garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]fresh ground sea salt to taste (I used about 2-3 TBS)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 TBSP dried oregano[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 TBSP dried rosemary[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBSP dried basil[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBSP fresh ground pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ cup EVOO[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]NOTE: Some recipes for porchetta/porketta use crushed red pepper flakes in the seasoning mix, and quite a few add dill, as well. Because I use dill in the side dish, I opt not to use it, and although I am normally use pepper flakes liberally, I did not want them to overpower the other seasonings. Feel free to use fresh herbs; they are simply not usually available to me here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Put all of this in a small food processor and whirl it into a paste.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Rub the entire inside of the pork with half of this seasoning paste, then roll it from the short end and secure it with twine, every inch or so. Now, use the rest of the paste to rub the outside. Put it in a large plastic bag, seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Let the roast come to room temperature for an hour or so. Preheat your oven to 450F and roast for 30 minutes to brown. Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil, and roast in a 300F oven for another 5-6 hours. About an hour before serving, add a large onion, cut into wedges, and 8-10 carrots, cut into ½ inch by 2” strips. Re-cover and roast for another hour. Let it sit for a half hour or so before serving. [/FONT]

Attachments

• porchetta crop2.jpg
    porchetta crop2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 155

Guts

Karen I was born in Roseburg, Oregon small world. The close up of your picture looks absolutely scrumptious. I can almost taste it. I wish

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, Karen, that looks phenomenal, but I have a couple of questions about the meat. I am wondering if your definition of "pork shoulder" is the same as mine.

First, I take it that you get a boneless hunk of pork shoulder? Is it the butt? Or shank?

Does the pork have a rind? Does it get CRISPY????? (my favorite part!)

Does the pork have a fat cap when you buy it? Do you remove it or leave it on?

I'd love to make this!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
QSis said:
First, I take it that you get a boneless hunk of pork shoulder? Is it the butt? Or shank?

Does the pork have a rind? Does it get CRISPY????? (my favorite part!)

Does the pork have a fat cap when you buy it? Do you remove it or leave it on?

I wish I could answer your questions better, Lee! The cuts of meat are so different here, that there isn't really a cut called "shoulder." What I ask for from the butcher is boneless "pierna", which means "leg" actually, but it is the upper leg, or shoulder, judging by the size and composition, probably the butt. No, there is no actual fat cap, but many of the porchetta recipes I looked at included a fat cap...I think it's used here for chicharrones, or fried pork rind. There was a pretty good streaky covering of fat, so it kept the meat moist.

Hope you make it and enjoy. If you do, you'll make it again,,,and again...and again

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Boston But, Picnic Shoulder, Pork Shoulder are all the same cut, it just depends on if it is still bone in.

That looks amazing, and it is going on the to do list for this weekend. Right now, @ $.89 p/lb, I can make dinner for a week, and take the saving and pass it along to my Lipitor, lol.

Every culture has a wonderful, low and slow, porky goodness recipe and this is a great "carnitas". Will use the left overs in wraps, on pizza, so on and so on.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Jono. We finished every last shred of the leftovers tonight. I usually tire of something before the leftovers are used up, but not this...Jerry, neither. Hope you enjoy.