More squash to dry

Nica

Now that I've got the hang of dehydrating, it's time to get serious about preserving some things.

I realized that the trays could be stacked on top of each other to save space and keep them on the bottom two shelves closer to the higher heat. So I built some more. I also realized the dehydrator needs to only be about 1/3rd as big and still hold 10 or 12 trays. Back to the drawing board for another revision. Will have pictures soon.

I sliced up 18 yellow squash and 8 zucchini. The yellow squash alone filled 3/4th a 5 gallon bucket and used all the dehydrator trays built to date.

My wife said enough is enough, so I'll do a rebuild and wait for the tomatoes to really kick in.

Attachments

• Bucket of squash (600 x 399).jpg
    Bucket of squash (600 x 399).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 443
  • Stacked squash  (600 x 399).jpg
    Stacked squash (600 x 399).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 100

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I'll go along with deyhdrating the zucchini.

What you are doing with the yellow squash is just WRONG!

Batter them and deep fry, the very BEST way to eat yellow squash :chef:

• 4 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 7 medium summer squash, thinly sliced
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • oil
Preparation:

Combine eggs, milk, and salt. Dip squash in the egg batter, then roll in flour until well coated. Fry in deep hot fat, about 360°, until golden brown.

Nica

That sounds good. We've had fresh squash several times but not deep fat fried. That's one more way we can prepare it.

The plants have produced so much we're running out of things to do with it, so dehydrating some seemed to make sense. I'm looking forward to some soup this winter with zucchini, tomatoes, squash, and potatoes all mixed in.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Here's another good recipe -

Yellow Squash Patties
Ingredients:

• 2 cups grated yellow squash
  • 1/4 cup self - rising flour
  • 1/3 cup self - rising cornmeal
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • oil
  • pepper to taste
Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan (I use olive oil). Brown both sides. Drain on paper towel.

I like them best really crisp.