Does anyone love roses?

leolady

I adore roses. Ever since I was a little girl I have longed for a rose garden of my own.

When I went to college, on campus there was a magical rose garden with a lily pool in the center. I used to spend hours there just breathing the scented breeze and enjoying the beauty.
wacko.gif

Last year I decided I had waited long enough. I went hog wild buying over 60 packaged roses and planted them on a little hillock by my back porch. Some flourished and some didn't. That did not deter me. I mulched thickly with hay to keep the weeds out and planted wild garlic to keep aphids out and because I think wild garlic tastes better than cultivated varieties. I added a truckload of aged horse and cow manure from a farmer friend's house, alfalfa cubes, and epsom salts to fertilize the bed.

I transplanted violets from the lawn to the rose garden, and I planted tulips and daffodils in clusters last fall.

A friend with a Bobcat dug me a little lily pool which I planted with dwarf waterlilies and added big goldfish. A recirculating fountain was purchased at an auction for $22.

I replaced some of the roses with potted Knockout roses on clearance last year, and I recently bought 10 more potted Knockout roses and 8 more hybrid tea roses on clearance for between $2.50 and $3.25 each.

I am still transplanting violets into the garden, and I plan to plant daisies, more tulips, and more daffodils.
shock.gif

These are photos of the lily pool and garden last year.

000_0003-3.jpg

000_0002.jpg

HYACINTH.jpg

000_0005-2.jpg

000_0001.jpg

And I bought this sign for the garden.
BphqQnQBmkKGrHqIH-EQEuiHUlMBLr1Wu5f.jpg

I will take photos in a couple of days of this year's garden if anyone is interested.

Does anyone else love roses like I do? :in_love:

Great pics, leolady.

Luv roses, & am also partial to gardenias. Wish I could float them in my tub every night & just sink in.

One year I got to see the Rose Parade floats, all lined up in Pasadena for 2 days, after the parade. The aroma of all the flowers was intoxicating.

We also visited Descanso Gardens. What a treat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descanso_Gardens

Good luck with the roses.

Deelady

VERY NICE LeoLady! I definately love roses!
When I was young we had roses up our driveway and my dad hired gardeners to maintain our yards but told them to leave the roses alone since it was me who loved to tend to them.
Through the years I have lost my touch on how to care for them so that they thrive(or maybe its because I live in a different climate now) but I am trying to re-learn, mine have had an awkward year :(. I bought a few rose bushes last year that some how have survived the winter...I thought one was a goner because it looked completely brittle and dried out this Spring but luckily I did not pull it out because I just noticed last week new sprouts from it coming out! I also very much want to add some cabbage roses soon and a magnolia shrub!
In my front yard this season I have planted some Poppies, daisys, striped petunias,Impatiens, geraniums, and some snap dragons (I believe they are) have recently popped out of nowhere! In the same garden I also have Hydrangeas, Blue Salvia, Yarrow, rosemary, and day lilies. I bought some Hollycock seeds but have not been able to sow them yet :( I guess they'll need to wait till next season.

Please post pics I would love to see them!

VERY NICE LeoLady! I definately love roses!
When I was young we had roses up our driveway and my dad hired gardeners to maintain our yards but told them to leave the roses alone since it was me who loved to tend to them.
Through the years I have lost my touch on how to care for them so that they thrive(or maybe its because I live in a different climate now) but I am trying to re-learn, mine have had an awkward year :(. I bought a few rose bushes last year that some how have survived the winter...I thought one was a goner because it looked completely brittle and dried out this Spring but luckily I did not pull it out because I just noticed last week new sprouts from it coming out! I also very much want to add some cabbage roses soon and a magnolia shrub!
In my front yard this season I have planted some Poppies, daisys, striped petunias,Impatiens, geraniums, and some snap dragons (I believe they are) have recently popped out of nowhere! In the same garden I also have Hydrangeas, Blue Salvia, Yarrow, rosemary, and day lilies. I bought some Hollycock seeds but have not been able to sow them yet :( I guess they'll need to wait till next season.

Please post pics I would love to see them!

Another beautiful flower!
Your garden sounds lovely as well, Dee. :flowers:

Deelady

Thank you CC :) I am trying but I have MUCH to learn! In fact I have 4 gardening books in front of me that I just borrowed from the library yesterday! lol

I will take pics if you ladies are interested in seeing my in progress garden...? :D

Leni

Who doesn't love roses? I have over 60 roses in my big city lot. I lost my Double Delight this year. I'll wait until bare root season to replace it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Please take and post pictures .... ALL of you!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
they're pretty & man, how i luvved my Pap's roses. beautiful! they were lovely! until my Mom ran them over. ditzy dame & ditzy daughter alike, hehe

Deelady

heres some pics of my blooms this season....I'm still figuring out what works well in our yard and what doesn't.

Attachments

• the girls SPRING! 654.jpg
    the girls SPRING! 654.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 178
  • the girls SPRING! 639.jpg
    the girls SPRING! 639.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 186
  • SUMMER 029.jpg
    SUMMER 029.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 175
  • SUMMER 062.jpg
    SUMMER 062.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 179
  • garden 006.jpg
    garden 006.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 193
  • garden 013.jpg
    garden 013.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 181
  • the girls SPRING! 658.jpg
    the girls SPRING! 658.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 180

Deelady

heres some more

Attachments

• garden 024.jpg
    garden 024.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 175
  • garden 014.jpg
    garden 014.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 195
  • garden 005.jpg
    garden 005.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 185
  • garden 009.jpg
    garden 009.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 201
  • garden 003.jpg
    garden 003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 186
  • garden 004.jpg
    garden 004.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 190
  • SUMMER 033.jpg
    SUMMER 033.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 180
  • garden 027.jpg
    garden 027.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 189

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW!!!!! Dee, those flowers are just gorgeous! Are the rose blooms as huge as they look in the pictures?

What are the reddish/pinkish flowers in the photo right after the red and white petunias?

And your daughter is the prettiest flower of them all, LOL!

Lee

Deelady

Thanks Lee :D Yes that rose bush does produce pretty large roses....and I cannot remember for the life of me the name of that flower, I planted it last year so I know its a perennial...I'll see if I still have the tag for it and will let you know. Funny I was trying to remember the name as I took the pics, I remembered every other flower except that one!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I would so love to have a lily pool. Yours is beautiful, leolady.

All of your flowers look great, Dee. My petunias sizzled in this heat wave that we're having. The "mystery" flower looks a lot like dianthus to me.

Deelady

Thank you Cooksie and I think you are right!! Thanks for solving the mystery! LOL now can you help me determine what type of roses I have??? lol

I THINK this is a tea rose...for some reason the name cocoa is coming to mind...?? They aren't doing very well this season, I'm hoping its because they aren't fully established yet...? I only got about 5 roses from it this year.
And I have NO CLUE about the other roses name :huh:

Attachments

• SUMMER 746.jpg
    SUMMER 746.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 157

Deelady

Look what I got today to add to my garden! I was so excited when the said it was on sale I fell in love with it right when I saw it!!! Its a Pinkey Winky Hydrangea Tree the blosoms start out white but near Fall they turn a deep pink/rose color!

Attachments

• garden 090.jpg
    garden 090.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 152
  • garden 093.jpg
    garden 093.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 174

leolady

I have noticed that a lot of plants are on sale at this time of the year. It makes you want to buy more than you should.

But on the other hand, you certainly use a lot of water when you plant at this late in the season. Every other day, I am out there having to water them.

I like your tree, but I decided last year to stick with fruit and nut trees. Your tree sure is pretty.

Deelady

Thank you LeoLady :)

We've been getting a good amount of rain off and on so I haven't had to water as much as I probably would have normally. So I've lucked out a bit this season :)

leolady

i am sooooooooo ashamed!

At the store today, I bought 7 more fragrant hybrid tea roses. It is getting to be an obsession!

leolady

My dag gum lily pool fountain pump died!

And I can't use my fountain.
ohmy.gif

I went online looking for another one, and look what I found!!!!!
lol.gif

BEAUTIFUL FOUNTAIN! SPARKLES AFTER DARK!

You will Love this fountain in your Pond or Pool! Durable and long lasting Visual Night sparking fountain!

Solar power! Remote control! Add Water Feature Affordably!

Solar Floating Lily Fountain with Battery LED & Remote Control
Floating Solar Lily Fountain Sparkles After Dark
Photovoltaic solar cells power this fountain by day, while NiMH batteries store up energy for your evening enjoyment. A convenient remote control lets you turn the fountain on and off from up to 18 feet away. Comes with three spray heads, a bubbler, and an energy-saving pump that turns off automatically after 40-50 minutes. Nighttime operation is gently illuminated by a built-in light.
Solar-powered pond fountain charges in the sun Softly illuminated at night
Remote control and three spray heads included
This floating lily pad fountain needs no plumbing or wiring. Just place it on the water's surface to add the delightful sight and sound of trickling water to your garden pond. Includes solar-powered pump with filter, and three fountain heads, for a variety of spray options. Maximum height of spray is up to 17". Lily pad is sturdy resin, for years of use. 13" diam.
Operates not only in day time but at night with battery back up inside