Franken-Pantry VII

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This one took a little more work than anticipated. I had originally envisioned this as separate and small cups of “pie” cooked in a muffin tin. But working with dough is not my forte, so I opted for one singular large pie cut into slices.

If you are adventurous, and don’t mind the work, by all means, change this to use the smaller individual “cups” offered by the muffin tin.

DW gave me the thumbs up on this one and said she loved the flavor and texture. She went back for seconds and said this is a keeper. So, I’m calling this a success.

I call this one:

Cheesy Meat Pie with Onion Gravy

Ingredients

Ground Pork
Bell pepper, chopped
Can Petite Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
Cooked Rice
Shredded Cheese

Small Onion
Beef Bouillon

Flour, lard, and water to make a pie crust.

Steamed Snow Peas on the side (optional)

Procedure

Make your pie crust with flour, butter, and water in a food processor. I used this recipe, but substituted lard (Crisco) for the butter. Lard is Oil and a Staple.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_pie_crust/

I lined a disposable 9” tin with the crust and pre-baked it for 12 minutes till golden brown. Set that aside.

I cooked the rice in tomato bouillon to give it more flavor. Once it was done, I drained and covered it and set it aside.

Brown the pork with the chopped bell peppers. As it is cooking, season with Creole Seasoning and a dash of Chile Powder.

Once nearly done, add 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained) and cook uncovered till the liquid is reduced to nearly nothing. Add about 3/4 cup cooked rice and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. The cheese will act as a binder and add flavor.

Mix well and then pour into the pie crust. I covered the edges of the crust to keep them from getting too brown. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then top with more cheese and bake till bubbly and brown.

As the pie is baking, in a large skillet, sauté some thinly sliced onion rings in oil for 5 minutes. Add oil, a bit of flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add enough beef broth (from the bouillon) to make a medium thick gravy. Once bubbly, turn off heat and cover. Let it sit.

When the pie is done (about 20 minutes) bring it out and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

On a plate, add a ladle of the onion gravy. Now cut a slice of the meat pie and lay it on top of the gravy. Drizzle more gravy over the top if desired.

I also added some steamed snow peas (beans from the Pantry) on the side.

Notes

This was really good. I’d like to take the time to do the miniature version in the muffin cups, but I’m not sure I have the patience for it. Other than that, I like this recipe as is. The only thing I can think to change is to add some mushrooms.

step1-84.jpg

step2-78.jpg

step3-70.jpg

step4-56.jpg

step6-36.jpg

step7-30.jpg

step8-23.jpg

step9-15.jpg

LETHAL GTS

Damn I can't see the pics. (company restricts my internet access).
But it sounds very interesting and I'm sure it tastes incredible.
I will proceed with mine on Sunday night as usual.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Damn I can't see the pics. (company restricts my internet access).
But it sounds very interesting and I'm sure it tastes incredible.
I will proceed with mine on Sunday night as usual.

:lol:

Me either! IT at my company blocks pic sites as well. No idea why, but it seems standard procedure for IT these days since I've seen a lot of other people complaining about it. These pics are hosted on my photobucket account which is why we can't see them.

Check them out when you get home, and I can't wait to see what masterpiece you come up with for this pantry! :clap::thumb:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin, you are becoming a pie crust champ! Very clever use of the Franken Pantry! That looks really good!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, you are becoming a pie crust champ! Very clever use of the Franken Pantry! That looks really good!

Thanks Karen. DW called me Popeye when I was working with the dough to get it done. Not because I like spinach, but because I was cussing like a sailor!! :blush: :yum: :yum: :yum:

It turned out in the end though. I have SOOOOO much respect for all you bakers out there. Ya'll make it look so easy! Very impressive. :clap::thumb:

You know, I was thinking about the FP, and we're actually creating new and exciting recipes here. So here at NCT, we are presenting new and original recipes that have never been seen before.

Man……we rock!!! :lol::clap: :clap: :clap:

mhend

Here's my FP entry. Not very original, but it was tasty! It's been a crazy week here so I'm happy that I even had a chance to participate!

We had chili. I used ground beef and ground pork, a couple of big cans of diced tomatoes (undrained), kidney beans, onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, beef bouillon and water. Let it cook all day. A little finely diced red onion on top. Usually I put a couple of squirts of sriracha on mine, but since that wasn't in the pantry, I will do that tomorrow with the leftovers! :)

Chili.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Aweome Mary, that looks and sounds great! I love that serving plate as well! Good job! :thumb:

LETHAL GTS

Pork Tacos with re-fried bean and cheese dip. Along with some homemade salsa and Cajun rice.
The first pic is the homemade salsa.
Then my bean/cheese dip that I added some ground leftover bacon from breakfast.
I used the Cajun spice in my brown rice for flavor. Boy did it smell and taste good. I'll have to do this again.
I made homemade tortilla's and chips from masa corn flour.
And plated it up two ways.
Everything was fresh and from scratch except the re-fried beans and cheese which I got from a can and a jar.
It was pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4995.jpg
    IMG_4995.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5008.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5009.jpg
    IMG_5009.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5012.jpg
    IMG_5012.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5020.jpg
    IMG_5020.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5025.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 141

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG! Lethal, you are a genius and a true master at this. That is utterly stunning! I'm amazed! Great job! :applause:

LETHAL GTS

Thanks again.
I really take this seriously and I enjoy it tons.
Everyone around me thinks I'm a nut, because I take it so seriously.
But they don't complain about the food.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great FP VII meals Keltin, mhend, and Lethal :beer:! I'm going have to try making some homemade corn tortillas.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lethal GTS said:
Everyone around me thinks I'm a nut, because I take it so seriously.

I can identify with that! Jerry understands, and looks forward to each new experiment, but when I start to explain it to friends, i.e., "I have these cooking friends on the internet, and we have this game that we play..." they begin looking at me strangely. Some things are best kept to yourself.

LETHAL GTS

LOL no kidding Karen. I get the same look. My buddy Rick who comes over (every Sunday since I started doing this) tells people at our local watering hole that Tracy is involved in this huge contest on the internet where he cooks and takes pictures of the food.
They look at us with a lost expression and say "what do ya win?"
Oh nothing, it's just for fun.
I told Rick to keep his trap shut or no more food.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
LOL no kidding Karen. I get the same look. My buddy Rick who comes over (every Sunday since I started doing this) tells people at our local watering hole that Tracy is involved in this huge contest on the internet where he cooks and takes pictures of the food.
They look at us with a lost expression and say "what do ya win?"
Oh nothing, it's just for fun.
I told Rick to keep his trap shut or no more food.

:yum:

Yep, I've gotten those blank stares too. I explain I'm on a cooking forum where we have a contest to cook this or that......"What do you win"?

Nothing.

:unsure: :ermm: :spacecraft:

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Very imaginative use of the Franken Pantry GTS! And it looks delicious. Looks like lots of work, but well worth it!

I did something similar this evening - finally got up the energy to make some tortillas and enchilada sauce. My first picture shows some of the ingredients I used, including the Maseca (9.5 pesos - less than a dollar), the tomato/chicken bouillon Keltin and I like so much, diced tomatoes, and the dried chiles. I made my tortillas from Maseca (masa harina/corn flour) and water, with a little salt added. I used my "authentic" wooden Mexican tortilla press, which works great. Then I made an enchilada sauce of out dried chile peppers (which I soaked for about an hour), onions, garlic powder, chili powder and tomatoes - all pureed together in my blender, then "fried" in a little corn oil. I did add some bouillon and chili powder to the sauce. I dipped each tortilla in the sauce and used ground beef, cooked with onions, chile powder and garlic powder, to fill the enchiladas with the meat and some Oaxaca cheese. Each enchilada went in the oven for a few minutes, just to stay warm, and I poured some sauce over all of them before I served them (forgot to take a picture of that part). Served with rice (also cooked in the tomato bouillon and some dried onions), canned black beans, and a dusting of the Oaxaca cheese. Should have used cotija cheese, but I didn't have any on hand.

All in all, a delicious Franken Pantry - we were only lacking some salsa Mexicana (Pico de Gallo to you guys, probably)...not allowed because cilantro is not on the list. Pretty authentic, too, except that Mexicans never use ground beef for enchiladas, unless it is picadillo (with lots of interesting additions) But it was yummy, nevertheless.

Attachments

• DSCF0766.jpg
    DSCF0766.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF0772.jpg
    DSCF0772.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCF0769.jpg
    DSCF0769.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0771.jpg
    DSCF0771.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0778.jpg
    DSCF0778.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 150

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's awesome Karen! And I too and so in love with that tortilla press! How cool is that!! :clap: :thumb:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, guys...it is really special, and is the type used in all the taco stands here. It is very heavy duty and works nicely, and we paid about $300 pesos ($25) for it at the tianguis (open air market) in LaPenita, a town just north of us. It's so easy, I wonder why I ever buy tortillas. I have enough left to make some nachos tomorrow.

LETHAL GTS

I make homemade tortillas all the time. It's so simple and so tasty.
That looks really good Karen. I have a tortilla press, but it's too small. I need a bigger one.